What was your child's first solid foods?

We talk lots about when to introduce solids and what’s appropriate, but I’m just curious: What was the first “big people” food your LO’s got a taste of? Whether a cereal, baby mush, or “real” food, what did they get? And what was their earliest favorite?

*please keep this free from debate. I’m just looking for individual experiences.

We started with pureed apple, and it was an immediate success! We’re big fans of the puree, we boil and puree fruits and veg once a week, freeze them in cubes and it’s super easy to prepare wholesome organic meals for her.

I’m not a momma, but my nephew lived with us during the time he ate his first solids and I was his main caregiver.
He went from formula to cereal/oatmeal to jarred food.

Some of the first real foods I gave him were:

Toast
Bananas
Sweet Potatoes
Cheerios
Beef [name_m]Stew[/name_m]
Puffs
Pasta & Sauce

He LOVED cheerios. From picking them up to the crunch he couldn’t get enough of them. Another favorite of his was the stewed beef I made.

She had pumpkin first. It was Thanksgiving, so I wanted to feed her something seasonally appropriate. Plus, I had pumpkin puree left over from making mini pumpkin cheesecakes LOL!

We just gave our son regular people food, starting at around six months. The first thing we gave him was an avocado. He loved it!

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] started eating banana and apple cereal with pear juice mixed in the last few weeks. She REALLY likes it. She eats way more than the 2 tablespoons the doctor recommends. We mix her cereal thicker than the soupy mess that comes in baby jars so it’s really like thick mush, like if you squashed a banana with a spoon.

She’s teething too, so I’m hoping by Thanksgiving she’ll have a tooth. We’re going to give her some pumpkin puree from the first pumpkin pie we make this month. As soon as our money gets settled, we’re going to buy lots of fruit and start making out own baby foods rather than buying them. It’s so much healthier and flavorful for her. :slight_smile:

Avocado, mashed up until smooth with a little bit of expressed breastmilk added to thin it out, at 6 months of age.

Homemade rice cereal was first, followed by sweet potato and bananas.

We started with a little rice cereal. Around 6 months we did a homemade sweet potato puree, which she loved!

I think we started with rice cereal mixed with breastmilk. We introduced purees really slowly and I exclusively breastfed for a long time. I think when she finally tried purees we started with yams.

We just tried [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] on pureed pears today. She scrunched her face and sat there like it was the most disgusting thing she’d ever eaten. Which is weird because she loves Pear juice. :stuck_out_tongue:

[name_m]Both[/name_m] my girls started with sweet potato. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] started with puree, [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] started with steamed fingers. [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] had a tongue tie and lip tie that made eating puree tricky for her at frist, so we went a mix of baby led weaning and purees with her.

She stole a banana out of my hand at 4.5 mos…much earlier than I had anticipated. She then was offered whatever we were eating, no cereal, mush or purees.

Boiled and pureed carrots! [name_m]Both[/name_m] [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] and [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] fell in love with first bite. [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] tried pureed apple, pureed pumpkin and pureed peas then and it was a success too. Dashiel experiments with banana now, and I want to make him soft broth-vegetable soup and put pureed boiled vegetables in. We’ll see.

He hated it and still does. Then bananas - big fan. His favorite was sweet peas and honeydew melon. We did all mashed/pureed foods which we mashed less and less as he got older and was able to handle more texture.

We did baby led weaning, so there were no purees in my house. Her first solid food was a piece of toast she stole from her daddy’s plate when he wasn’t looking! The first piece of food we actually gave her was a stick of asparagus, though :slight_smile: We haven’t weaned [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] yet, and won’t until she’s at least 6 months old. I’m a strong advocate of waiting till 6 months so she won’t be getting any food before then, unless she’s sneaky like her sister!