What Were They About to Name You?

My parents would have named me [name_m]Jeffrey[/name_m] so I’m glad I was a girl, because so many famous Jeffreys, well, what can I say?

Jocelyn was a contender and I’ve always had a soft spot for the name since.

Then by my birth time they had chosen [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] [name_f]Ann[/name_f](e?). After 36 hours of labor, my mother gasped, “She doesn’t look like a [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]!” to which my also young father assured her, “Anything you like! Anything!”

And lucky for me because I dislike [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] on girls and my husband’s ex was a [name_u]Laurie[/name_u]. Still is actually. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s so funny. I would have been named [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m] if I were a boy!! ([name_f]My[/name_f] mom’s name is [name_f]Georgine[/name_f], so that is why they picked the [name_m]Geo[/name_m] spelling.)

1 Like

I was supposed to be named [name_u]Jackie[/name_u], as a nickname for something else.

My parents named me something very different.

I changed my name in my mid-20s.

I am now [name_m]Jack[/name_m], as a nickname for something else.

1 Like

Jack is an all around great name!

2 Likes

Someone [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m] is tonier than [name_m]Jeffrey[/name_m]. :slight_smile:

My husband and I were buying him some clothes at a department store and the young female clerk said, “Oh, why don’t you try these [name_m]Joffrey[/name_m] Beenes” and all I could think is “[name_m]Joffrey[/name_m] Ballet”?

1 Like

I also would’ve been a [name_m]Jeffrey[/name_m]!
Other considerations for girl names included [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_u]Morgan[/name_u], and [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]

2 Likes

I was going to be a [name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f]! I don’t like [name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f] at all, though, so I am very glad they named me what they did. (Which isn’t what is on my UC, by the way.)

1 Like

I would have been a [name_m]Brendan[/name_m] if I was a boy (like you, I am very thankful I was a girl!) They also considered [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] for a girl.

1 Like

I was almost [name_u]Maria[/name_u] or [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. They found out the sex early and never picked a boy name.

I think [name_f]Daria[/name_f] was considered too, after my great-grandfather [name_m]Dario[/name_m].

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] parents would have named me [name_u]Bentley[/name_u] if I was a boy. But some of their other girl options were [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] and Aralise. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad also wanted to name me Zhenya (he lived in [name_f]Russia[/name_f] for a couple months and liked the name). But since I have a very uncommon last name, they chose Myrealname nn May. Would have also been named June if I was born in June.

1 Like

My parents considered [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] in addition to the FN and MN I ended up with.

I like my name, but I can honestly see myself as any of the above names too, so that’s good! I also love them all enough to consider for a future daughter, except [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] (I don’t dislike it, I just don’t love it as much).

1 Like

Corrine

1 Like

Ive asked this and my parents did not have an alternative name for me :joy:

1 Like

I would’ve been Jacob or Andrew as a boy. I really don’t like either of those names so I’m glad I was a girl! I’m not a fan of my parents’ boy style haha.

My first name was never up for debate but my middle name was almost Sophie. They went with Caroline instead. I think I would’ve preferred Sophie but it’s a middle name so it doesn’t really matter.

1 Like

I would have been [name_u]Finn[/name_u], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], or [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] if I was a boy.

I could have been [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], or [name_f]Emily[/name_f] as a girl.

I like all of these names, except [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u].

3 Likes

!!! something about this looks familiar :grin:

4 Likes

My parents liked [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] and [name_f]Veronica[/name_f].
But overall, they knew I was going to be [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f].

OMG! I DIDN’T EVEN EVER NOTICE THAT!

Wow, thanks for pointing that out. :joy:

2 Likes

If I was a girl front runners were [name_f]Petra[/name_f] and [name_u]Maria[/name_u] [name_f]Fernanda[/name_f], my mom even wanted [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] as I was born in [name_u]February[/name_u]! Never had boy names as they knew right off the bat I was a girl! Personally love my name I think it’s unique and it’s obviously very out there :rofl:

I almost had a double barrelled name, “Myactualname [name_f]Sena[/name_f]”. Then my dad, who has a double barrelled name, said it would be such a burden to me and they removed the [name_f]Sena[/name_f] part.

2 Likes