What would you call

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] berries! I am due for a baby in late [name_f]April[/name_f]. I have one daughter, [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]. I love the meaning, first rose for our first daughter. Also the nicknames! She is referred to as Prim and [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] most of the time. [name_u]Marie[/name_u] is my mother’s middle name. I don’t know the sex of the baby, and I won’t until they are born. It is a long ways away, but I am struggling with names. I love [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] for girl. However, my mom has a close friend named [name_u]Julie[/name_u]. I also love [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]. I think the nickname [name_m]Iggy[/name_m] is adorable. Although, we would refer to her as [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] for the most part. I love [name_f]Aoife[/name_f], too. I just worry these names are too popular. For unpopular names I have [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f], [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], [name_f]Maude[/name_f], [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], and [name_f]Verity[/name_f]. [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] is similar to [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], I love the name, but we would refer to her as her nickname for the most part. I am thinking [name_u]Georgie[/name_u] or [name_f]Gigi[/name_f]. However, my cousin has a close childhood friend called [name_f]Gigi[/name_f]. The name means farmer, my dads beloved career. It would be nice to honor him. A nickname for [name_f]Verity[/name_f] I like is [name_f]Vera[/name_f]. I struggle with boys names! All I can think of is [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]! Too popular, and [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u] remind me of the Goldfinch. I would love some feedback on the possible names I have chosen, and name suggestions. This is long! Thank you so much!

1 Like

I love Primrose Marie!

First of all, I’d like to say that I don’t think people like your mom’s friend or your cousin’s friend matter, especially since they wouldn’t have the exact same name as your daughter. Juliet and Georgiana “Gigi” are both lovely with Primrose. Though I do prefer Georgie for Georgiana!

You said “we would refer to her as her nickname” so I’m assuming that there is a partner involved in the naming process? Apologies if I’m wrong! But if I’m not, what kind of names does your partner like? So we can give you suggestions that you would both like.

Excluding Georgiana and Juliet, I like Verity and Lilith the most with Primrose. So lovely. You might also like Arabella, Beatrix, Clementine, Cecily, Elodie, Elowen, Felicity, Gwendolen, Helena, Josephine, Louisa, Marigold, Margot, Magdalen, Marlowe, Ophelia, Opal, Odette, Colette, Phoebe, Philippa, Rhiannon, Susannah, Sylvie, Seraphine, Theodora, Tessa, Valentine, Winifred or Winter for her!

As for a boy, maybe something like Arthur, Archie, August, Benjamin, Desmond, Elliot, Edmund, Edwin, Felix, Flynn, Frederick, George, Gideon, Jasper, Laurence, Leon, Louis, Maximilian, Nathaniel, Otto, Percy, Philip, Ronan, Robin, Rafferty, Simon, Sullivan, Tobias, Valentine, Victor, Vincent, Wilder, Wilbur?

3 Likes

[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] and [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] are perfect together! You have lots of great options though. What about [name_u]George[/name_u] for a boy as it honors your dad too?

1 Like

Congratulations :white_heart:

Firstly absolutely love [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] such a gorgeous name and I also adore the meaning of primrose ‘first rose’ with her being your first daughter sooooo adorable! Anyways love [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] :rose:

You named your daughter excellently and you have a list of fabulous options.

Your ‘popular names’ [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] & [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] are not popular I would actually say some of these are less popular than [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]. Statistically speaking I would say they have a similar popularity as [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] so please do not worry about that. Of course I’m in the U.K. so could be wrong but from my experience these names are not popular so please dismiss that worry. Personally I would rule of [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] she’s beautiful but I think the [name_u]Julie[/name_u] thing will worry you so I would just park that one. [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is absolutely gorgeous and I adore her with [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]. [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] & [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] are stunning!
[name_f]Aoife[/name_f] is a lovely name but very Irish do you or OH have Irish heritage? If not could be slightly random to use especially with [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]. [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] & [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] do not stylistically match.

Concerning your ‘unpopular names’ I absolutely love [name_f]Verity[/name_f], [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] & [name_f]Maude[/name_f]. [name_f]Verity[/name_f] is such a lovely virtue name that sounds classy and elegant with [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]. [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] is so happy and upbeat she feels very whimsical with [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]. Whereas [name_f]Maude[/name_f] gives a vintage edge to the sibling set. [name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_f]Verity[/name_f] though I love that name. Regarding [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] I’ve never been a fan of [name_u]George[/name_u] & his variants including [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] I just don’t find them appealing. I like the idea of honouring your dad through farming have you thought of [name_u]Harvest[/name_u] or [name_f]Meadow[/name_f]? [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] or [name_f]Verity[/name_f] [name_u]Harvest[/name_u] could be cute! Also maybe [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] in the middle name slot so honouring dad but avoiding [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] could be an idea. [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] would be nice. Lastly moving onto [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] I think she’s too dark & gothic for a sister to [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] also could trap you into a floral theme which may not be helpful if you have more children.

Suggestions [name_f]Calliope[/name_f], [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_f]Colette[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f], [name_f]Adelpha[/name_f] & [name_f]Jemima[/name_f]

Onto your boys [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is a lovely name that works with [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]. However I think this is another name that needs to be parked due to the negativities. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any family members you want to honour? Maybe playing around with their names could help you find names suitable for your potential son. I know you would like to honour your dad so [name_u]George[/name_u] could be an option I also really like the idea of [name_u]Harvest[/name_u] to honour him.

Anyways moving into suggestions

[name_f]Primrose[/name_f] and…
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_m]Lachlan[/name_m]
[name_m]Wilfred[/name_m]
[name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]
[name_m]Benedict[/name_m]
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u]
[name_m]Bennet[/name_m]
[name_u]Florian[/name_u]
[name_u]Judah[/name_u]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]

Good luck

Thank you so much! [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] I am not too worried about; I prefer [name_u]Georgie[/name_u] as a nickname, too. I just worry that one day she will decide she likes the nickname [name_f]Gigi[/name_f]. I feel like [name_u]Julie[/name_u] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] are a little too close; I don’t think I will use it.

Yes, I have a husband! I have obsessed with names ever since I started reading; I’ve kept a list since elementary school! For [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], I showed my husband the list and he picked his favorites. From his favorites, I choose [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] which he enthusiastically supported. All of the names mentioned here, are names he chose off my list. I think we have a similar naming style, but he mostly leaves it up to me.

So many names you suggested are on my list! wonderful suggestions! I haven’t considered [name_f]Helena[/name_f] before, I really like! I like [name_m]Otto[/name_m] and [name_m]Fredrick[/name_m] as well, [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] is a cute nickname! [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is not a fan of August; it is one of the few names on my list he doesn’t like. This was one of my first choices for a boy; [name_u]Gus[/name_u] is a perfect nickname.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I mentioned [name_u]George[/name_u] to my husband, he doesn’t hate it but he doesn’t love it either. With my first, we agreed on a name so fast and we both loved it so much. He would definitely use it if I wanted to, but he loved my daughters name so much. I would love to find a name for our second that he is equally in love with.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I highly doubt we will use [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], it’s just too similar. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I are both obsessed [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] at the moment. We have very little Irish heritage, probably not enough to use [name_f]Aoife[/name_f]! It was a name I had on my list that my husband happened to like. No matter how much he likes it, I don’t think we’ll use it.

The only reason I like [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] is because of the nickname [name_u]Georgie[/name_u]. I don’t love it as a full name, but it’s nice that she would have a name that is more grown up when she is older with a cute nickname for when she is younger. I also think [name_u]Georgie[/name_u] and [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] sound nice together.

[name_f]My[/name_f] first name is [name_f]Anna[/name_f], baby naming has be difficult. I have realized so many names end with my whole name! I have started looking for names that don’t end in a. They’re more distinct girls names in general and they don’t match mine.

For [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], I understand what you are saying. This clashes with [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] so much, but I would love to use a darker, gothic name for, at least, one child. [name_f]My[/name_f] naming aesthetics jump all over the place! Are there any gothic names that would pair well with [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]?

I am loving the suggestion of Otto; my husband likes it, too! I also like [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] but not the nickname [name_f]Callie[/name_f].

1 Like

I was thinking of [name_u]James[/name_u] after my Grandfather, but I know so many people named [name_u]James[/name_u]. It’s just too popular. There are very few men in my family, and they having naming traditions themselves. I can’t use my dads name as a middle name, because, per a long-standing tradition, my brother will use it as middle name for his child.

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband is not too fond of [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] and [name_u]Harvest[/name_u]. I don’t know if I would use [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] for the middle. We both like exact family names for middle spots.

1 Like

Absolutely!

How about:
Winifred
Dorothea
Pearl
Louisa
Beatrix
Ophelia
Cordelia
Gwendolen
Adelaide

Alfred
Louis
Oleander
Jasper
Casper
Edmund
Linus
Rufus
Hugo
Fitzwilliam - Prim & Fitz :sob:

Oh my goodness, I LOVE Prim and [name_m]Fitz[/name_m]. And I will get a Pride and Prejudice reference in there! I have never considered the nickname [name_m]Fitz[/name_m]. I feel like there is a lot of nickname opportunities with this name. If he really wanted to, he could go as [name_u]Will[/name_u] or [name_u]William[/name_u] when he is older. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it’s to out there?

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I love [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] as well! I love [name_m]Louis[/name_m], too! I couldn’t get my husband on board with this name.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s too out there - I think it sounds like the perfect sibling name to [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]! Both names are on my list :slight_smile: And yay for P&P!

I got so wrapped up in this name, I forgot to mention my grandfather and uncle are both named [name_u]William[/name_u]. They both go by bill. [name_f]My[/name_f] brother also has it as a middle name. Would it be too much?

1 Like

Hm I’m not sure! It could be a nice honor name.

2 Likes

There are so many great names on your girls list but it sounds like you’re not fully on board with most of them for one reason or other. Verity and Imogen are the ones that stand out for me as the strongest matches with Primrose. I can see that you’re wary of popularity but I think it’s wise to consider a name with higher popularity that you and your husband both love over a name with lower popularity that you aren’t as thrilled by.

The imagery I get with the name Primrose is a formal English garden with tall hedges and overgrow arches. It feels starchy and buttoned-up so I can see it matched with names with a distinctly Victorian name. It would also lend itself to the darker style you’ve mentioned. I’ll suggest Lavinia, Henrietta, Claudia, Genevieve, Lucille, Minerva, Hermione, Frederica, Cornelia, Agatha, Temperance, Eugenie, Millicent, Zelda, Seraphina, Nerissa, Guinevere, Ingrid and Thomasin.

Fitzwilliam is very handsome. If you like the name, you may as well lean into the family connections. I don’t see why the name would be too much. It wouldn’t be confusing and Fitzwilliam has its own spin on the name afterall. Continuing with a similar buttoned-up style for boys I’ll suggest Lysander, Roland, Geraint, Clement, Magnus, Rupert, Jolyon, Damon, Titus, Lucian, Corentin, Rex, Hector, Oberon, Cassius, Marlon, Bernard, Isidore, Tybalt, Casper, Julius, Darius, Alistair, Oscar and Linus.

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Temperance[/name_f], [name_f]Thomasin[/name_f], and [name_m]Clement[/name_m].

1 Like

I’ve spoken with my husband and thought about this a little more. We’re thinking of using [name_u]George[/name_u] as a middle name for a boy. For a girl we are thinking [name_f]Martha[/name_f].

We’ve narrowed it down to a few names:

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] [name_f]Martha[/name_f]
[name_f]Blythe[/name_f] [name_f]Martha[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Martha[/name_f] (Usually I don’t like double initials, but I think this has a certain charm to it)
[name_f]Thomasin[/name_f] [name_f]Martha[/name_f]
[name_f]Temperance[/name_f] [name_f]Martha[/name_f]

[name_m]Fredrick[/name_m] [name_u]George[/name_u] (Freddie as a nickname)
[name_m]Otto[/name_m] [name_u]George[/name_u] (Love this first name, but I don’t think [name_u]George[/name_u] could be used as a middle)
[name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m] [name_u]George[/name_u]

Does anyone have any names that mean farmer, or along the lines of farmer, that could used for a middle spot, boy or girl. It’s so early, this is all subject to change, so please let me know if any more first name suggestions come up! Which of the names listed above do you like best?

I wanted to thank everyone for your wonderful feedback and suggestions. You are all so kind, creative, and helpful!

1 Like

How about [name_m]Bower[/name_m]?

1 Like

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] “Iggy”, [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] “Georgie” and [name_f]Verity[/name_f] are lovely. I think you could still use [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] since it’s not your friend called [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] and it feels so meaningful for you!!

Some other ideas

[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] “Iggy”
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u] “Iggy” “Indie”
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] “Emme”
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] “Dolly”
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] “Tabby”/ “Tiggy”/“Tibby”
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] “Fliss”
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] “Opal”
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] “Sephy”/“Saffie”
[name_f]Meadow[/name_f] “Dodie”

[name_m]Evander[/name_m] “Evan”/“Van”
[name_m]Franklin[/name_m] “Frankie”
[name_m]Isidore[/name_m] “Izzy”/“Rory”
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u]
[name_u]Sylvester[/name_u] “Sly”/“Sylva”
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] “Freddie”
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] “Ren”
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u] “Arlo”
[name_m]Malachi[/name_m] “Kai”/“Mack”
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] “Dash”
[name_m]Benedict[/name_m] “Benny”
[name_m]Jeremiah[/name_m] “Jem”
Aphonse “Alfie”

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Ooh, [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is pretty. I think that [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] or [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] would be amazing for her sister. I’m guessing that you’re not in the U.S, since [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] & [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] aren’t at all popular in my neck of the woods. Perhaps you could consider [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] nn [name_m]Iggy[/name_m]? Then you’d have two little flowers. :sunflower: :white_flower: I also love [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] nn [name_f]Idgie[/name_f].

[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] is gorgeous. I love it w/Primrose & that it honors your dad. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you see or associate w/Gigi often? I wouldn’t think that it’d be too weird to use the same name as your cousin’s friend, but I guess it depends on how close you are to her. [name_u]Georgie[/name_u] is nice though. I also like the nn [name_f]Ani[/name_f].

[name_f]Blythe[/name_f] is a name that I like in theory, but just not the sound that much. Same w/Maude kind of, but I do find [name_f]Maudie[/name_f] adorable.

[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] feels too dark to me, & hard to say. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I love [name_f]Lili[/name_f]. I’m guessing that Liliana/Lilia/Lilian are maybe more popular. Ooh, but maybe you’d like Callalilie!

I don’t like [name_f]Verity[/name_f] much, but I’m not sure why. Maybe it sounds a bit too puritan or something. I kind of like just [name_f]Vera[/name_f] for you. Perhaps [name_f]Veronica[/name_f] nn [name_f]Vera[/name_f] would be an option?

Here are a few more girl ideas that you may like-

[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]

[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]

[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]

[name_f]Clover[/name_f]

[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]

[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]

[name_f]Estella[/name_f]

[name_f]Flora[/name_f]

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]

[name_f]Francesca[/name_f]

[name_f]Frances[/name_f]

[name_f]Gloria[/name_f]

[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]

[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]

[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]

[name_f]Luella[/name_f]

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]

[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]

[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]

[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]

[name_f]Tallula[/name_f]

[name_f]Theodora[/name_f]

[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]

As for boys, [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is quite nice, but so popular in the U.S where I live & everywhere seemingly. But you could always do the nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], [name_m]Thatch[/name_m], Thax, [name_m]Tad[/name_m] or [name_m]Thad[/name_m] instead of [name_u]Theo[/name_u].

A few more boy ideas that I think go nicely w/Primrose-

[name_m]Augustus[/name_m]

[name_m]Aurelius[/name_m]

[name_u]Adrian[/name_u]

[name_m]Desmond[/name_m]

[name_m]Frederic[/name_m]

[name_u]George[/name_u]!

[name_m]Ivan[/name_m]

[name_m]Julius[/name_m]

[name_m]Otis[/name_m]

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

[name_u]Jory[/name_u] and [name_u]Ryder[/name_u] both mean farmer as alternative middle names to [name_u]George[/name_u] for a boy.

1 Like