What would you do if you met the love of your life and didn't like his name?

What would you do if you met the love of your life and didn’t like his name?!

Ok, I don’t know if he’s my soul mate yet, but it’s going pretty well. :wink:

Problem is, I’ve only ever dated guys with royal names (a [name_m]Peter[/name_m], a [name_m]John[/name_m], a [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], a [name_m]David[/name_m], and two [name_m]Williams[/name_m]), so I thought I must be destined to marry a man with a timeless moniker.

Then I met… [name_u]Tyler[/name_u].

He says I can call him [name_m]Ty[/name_m], which I think is kinda cute. IDK, I know this is silly, and it doesn’t really matter. But I spend so much time dreaming up the perfect names for characters and future children, it’s a little disappointing :frowning:

[name_m]Just[/name_m] wondered if anyone else has been in same boat or can sell the virtues of [name_u]Tyler[/name_u] to me!

No offense, but it sounds like you’re being shallow. Get to know him a little better and let [name_u]Tyler[/name_u] sell his own virtues to you. The ones that actually matter, like how kind he is or how he treats you… not his name.

In a weird way, I think it’s kind of cute that he has a name you’re not into. It sort of forces you out of your preconceived image of yourself as a person who only dates guys with classy names, which, hey, might be a good thing. There’s almost an air of rom-com-ness about the whole situation—it reminds me of The Importance of Being [name_m]Earnest[/name_m]. The Importance of Being [name_u]Tyler[/name_u]?

Last year I had a crush on a guy who had a name I hated. It was a weird experience, because Im the kind of person who wistfully sighs the name of the person they like but I just couldn’t bring myself to do that with a name I hated so much. I actually like the name a little more now because of the sweet association (it’s moved from hate to dislike lol)

I think I’d rather be with a guy with a name I didn’t like, than with one who liked names I disliked. That’s the real nightmare. But I’m quite easily swayed by characters to like names, and I assume it’d be the same for guys I liked too, maybe moreso. Plus I tend to hate the boys’ names I dislike way less than the girls’ names I dislike/hate. I do worry a bit that I might not be able to say his name easily or without having to think about it, especially in more ahem intimate moments. But I guess nns are always an option.

Well since it never worked out with the previous guys with those names, you obviously weren’t meant to be with them. So maybe now life is showing you not to judge someone on their name, but who they are as a person. A name doesn’t create a persons worth don’t forget. :slight_smile:

I don’t think you’re being shallow but I do think the name will grow on you the more you get to know him. I’d probably have trouble dating a guy named Baikinn or whatever people are coming up with these days :stuck_out_tongue: [name_u]Tyler[/name_u] is cute though in that 90s dreamboat way and his nn [name_m]Ty[/name_m] adds to that.

Hehe, thanks for the responses everyone! I am not trying to be shallow, I just wasn’t expecting such a dated name, haha. But, he IS incredibly kind, and the more I get to know him, the more it IS falling into the “90’s dreamboat” category, hehe! :slight_smile: [name_m]Just[/name_m] thought it was interesting food for thought, but I agree, it WOULD be way worse if he doesn’t like my very particular taste in names (haven’t gotten that far yet! haha), and maybe I SHOULD take this as a sign that maybe all those “princes” weren’t what they were cracked up to be…

Edited for Privacy

A lot of the names I like because of the associations I have with them. I think you might start to like the name, at least on him.

I totally agree with this!

You could always give him a nickname if you hate his first name. But if i married someone with the surname of Butt, Pigg, Hogg, or Roach (yes, those are names here), i would want to keep my maiden name, & give my last name to any children.

I’m sorry, is this a serious thread?

This! I can’t blame a person for the name they were given, but if their taste is different from mine… I don’t think that would work well.

As for a SO with a name you don’t like, I have quite a few people in my life that have names I’m not fond of, but I care deeply about the people. You can dislike a name and like the person; the person is not their name. If you are considered shallow than I definitely am because are certain names I wouldn’t date since I find it weird to date someone with the same name as a parent/sibling.

So…I’m weird but I doubt I could really be attracted to someone if I hated his name.

Oh, my sister is dating a guy who has the same name as one of my other sister’s and the middle name of my father! They’ve been dating a rather long time. We find it kind of cool, but it does get confusing sometimes when he’s staying over since I live with both of those two sister’s currently.

Anyway. I’m not sure why his name should honestly matter in any case. Almost every person I’ve had a crush on I started loving their name~ Maybe the OP will start to like or at least not hate the name [name_u]Tyler[/name_u] with the association. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you don’t, it’s very much okay to dislike his name, though it shouldn’t be a dealbreaker.

That said I also have a distaste for [name_u]Tyler[/name_u] on boys (love it on girls) because I have a cousin with the name in a family full of boring names, a revolting cousin-in-law with the name, and a sister’s ex-bf who I very much dislike was named that.

This!

It’ll grow on you. And, really, [name_m]Ty[/name_m] isn’t awful.

That happened to me.

My Ex (a very bad man) was [name_u]Dean[/name_u] and my husband of 16 years is [name_m]Louie[/name_m] [name_u]Dean[/name_u] (called that by the whole HUGE family) I told him I would call him [name_m]Louie[/name_m] or [name_u]Lou[/name_u] and it has worked out fine. Still hate the name [name_u]Dean[/name_u].

It wouldn’t bother me too much unless his name was [name_m]Robert[/name_m], [name_m]Brian[/name_m] or [name_m]Phillip[/name_m]. No offense to anyone who likes them, but those are three of the ugliest male names in the English language in my opinion. If I dated a guy with one of those names, I’d call him by his middle name.

Often, I find myself liking a name more when it’s attached to a guy I really like. I’m seeing a guy named [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. I used to think it was the most boring, unimaginative name out there, but it suits him and it’s been growing on me a lot.

Also, there was an amazingly hot guy one semester below me when I was in tech school. I figured he’d have a cowboy type name like [name_u]Riley[/name_u], [name_u]Cody[/name_u] or [name_m]Brooks[/name_m]. Nope. His name is [name_m]Harold[/name_m]. Now that I associate the name [name_m]Harold[/name_m] with this guy, it’s not as old mannish to me as it once was.

About the name [name_u]Tyler[/name_u], I really like it. It does’t seem that dated to me. Isn’t it still pretty popular?

I’ve met the love of my life and hate his name :joy: [name_m]Brian[/name_m] is just a name that I always thought was super boring and awful but literally it changes nothing about how I feel. When I first met him, I grimaced a little and don’t think about it super often.