What would you do?

Hi name lovers! I have a question and I’m hoping for some insight.

What do you do when the perfect name is just TOO popular?

I’ve loved [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] for my entire life. It was my grandmothers name. I used to wish it had been given to me. I love it for its classic style, potential for nicknames, and family significance. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I even got engaged at a garden with [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] in its name.

But…it’s #6 on the popularity chart. 6! We already have a boy with a name that is becoming really popular ([name_m]Henry[/name_m]), and I don’t know if I can stand climbing even higher on the popularity chart.

What would you do? And if your answer is pick another name (there are so many great names, so I know this is a valid choice!) what’s a beautiful girls name that goes with [name_m]Henry[/name_m] that isn’t too overdone?

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Honestly, use it if you like! It’s significant to you, and that’s what matters! Plus, it has a very timeless feel and a lot of fabulous namesakes. However, if it really bothers you, maybe:

Carlotta ([name_m]German[/name_m] variation)
[name_f]Charlotta[/name_f]
[name_f]Carolina[/name_f]
[name_f]Katerina[/name_f]
[name_f]Caterina[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]

Those are the names that came to mind!! Best of luck, and remember, go with what you love. If it’s the perfect name, it’s the perfect name.

7 Likes

What I would do is use [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]! It’s popular for a reason, after all. Unless a sibling or a close friend of yours has a daughter named [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], it shouldn’t be that big of an issue. There are so many reasons you love it, so it seems just perfect for you! Plus, it pairs so beautifully with [name_m]Henry[/name_m].

If I were you, I’d ignore the charts and stick with [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. It’s a gorgeous choice! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It wouldn’t bother me, if you love the name then popularity shouldn’t stop you. 2 things to consider: 1. It’s popular because people like it, and 2. Most babies don’t have top 100 names these days, so depending on where you live she’ll be unlikely to know that many kids her age with the same name.

1 Like

I would just use [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]! You love it, so you should go for it!

1 Like

Charlotte is beautiful and I think it goes PERFECTLY with [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. If you love it, I think there’s nothing wrong with it being popular and you should go for it!

1 Like

Definitely go for it! All the names in the top 10 or whatever are on a decline because they’re ‘popular’ so by the time it matters (school) there probably won’t be that many or any in her class. [name_f]My[/name_f] name is in the top 20 or something and I’ve only met one other.

1 Like

If I were in your shoes I think I would use [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. You absolutely love it, it’s special and meaningful to you, and it goes perfectly with [name_m]Henry[/name_m]; to me, those things very much outweigh its popularity. I also try to think about popularity like this: it just means others appreciate the name’s wonderful qualities as much as you do! Plus, these days the odds of any kid being one of three with their name in a class are extremely low (that kind of thing is just fluke-y). All that to say, [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] definitely gets my vote in your situation!

1 Like

Use [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] if you love it. It is one of my favourites too! Or [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] as an alternative?

1 Like

I would 100% use [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] if I were you. It’s a beautiful name and it seems significant to you for several reasons. I think your daughter will love hearing why you picked her name when she gets older!

1 Like

Thank you all so much for your input! I think you are right. I just need to accept its popularity and move on from it. I really do love the name.

2 Likes

Use it use it use it!

All of those reasons are just too good to give up due to popularity – especially when the name [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] was given to only 0.7% of baby girls born in the US in the last year on record (2018).

https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi

It’s a beautiful classic, and “popular” names are getting less and less so in real terms every year, as a much wider range of names is used than ever before.

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] truly sounds perfect with [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and perfect for you! Go for it :two_hearts:

2 Likes

If you love it, use it! I’ve only come across 2 little Charlottes :slight_smile:

Some other ideas
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgina[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]

1 Like

I think if you love it, you should use it. If it’s too popular you could always use it as a middle. (I love [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] as middles even though they are very popular as first names) [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] would make wonderful siblings!

1 Like

This is hard because popularity is definitely a dealbreaker for me so the “perfect name” wouldn’t be a popular one, if that makes sense lol. I don’t think that popularity is an objectively bad thing though! [name_f]My[/name_f] avoidance of popular names comes from my own dislike of having a popular name, but I know my experiences aren’t the same as everyone’s. I think a question to ask yourself is would the name [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] lose its sparkle for you if you met a ton of little girls with the name? If the answer is no, then that’s a good indication to use it!

1 Like

I agree with previous posters that if [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is THE NAME for you and your husband you should use it. That being said I love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] as well and specifically didn’t use it because of popularity. For me popular names kill some of the sparkle of a name so no matter how much I love it, it would always feel less special.

Have you considered keeping [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and using a more uncommon nickname? [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] has so many options: [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_f]Carly[/name_f], [name_m]Chuck[/name_m], [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], [name_f]Lotte[/name_f], [name_f]Char[/name_f], etc.

2 Likes

I don’t like common names either. [name_f]My[/name_f] suggestion is to consider [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] as the middle name and explore other options for the first name. I have important family names picked out for my kid(s) middle names, but the first names are 100% chosen because it is unique, meaningful, and beautiful to me.

However, if nothing else is clicking for you two, go back to [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. It is a beautiful name. And I think [name_m]Henry[/name_m] can go with anything! If you have a certain vibe or theme for other girl names, feel free to post it here! These members give wonderful suggestions!

2 Likes

I would probably use [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]! I would keep it on my list, for sure, and even if I didn’t use it as a first name, I would strongly consider it for the middle name spot.
You seem to really love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and that’s the most important factor to consider! The name is very meaningful to you, so please use it, or you may regret your decision! [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is a stunning name and it’s absolutely perfect for [name_m]Henry[/name_m]’s sister.

1 Like

Given the personal meaning to you and your husband, I would still go for it despite the popularity.

2 Likes

Use it! If you love it, that absolutely makes up for popularity. Anyway, names are popular for a reason, and even very popular names aren’t as common as you think.

1 Like