What would you do?

This is kinda long. Thanks for sticking with me if you do!

[name_f]My[/name_f] kids’ names are [name_m]Benton[/name_m] [name_m]Grover[/name_m], [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_u]Raven[/name_u] [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]. Mine and my husband’s first names also end with N. The theme was accidental through [name_m]Benton[/name_m] and [name_f]Arwen[/name_f], then when [name_u]Raven[/name_u] came along my sister insisted we couldn’t leave her out and to be totally honest, neither me nor my husband truly loves her name. Now we’re planning on having #4 after 7 years and I’m on the fence with whether we use another N ending fn. There are some that I genuinely like, but I feel like if we give #4 an N ending fn then we’re definitely locked into that theme for any other future kids and I’m not sure I want to commit to that. We’re thinking about having up to 3 more kids and there are only 2 N ending boy names I can actually see myself using. What if we end up having all boys? Ugh, the life of a name nerd. lol I’m pretty sure most people don’t put this much thought into it.

The N ending names we like are…
Boys: [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], [name_u]Dean[/name_u]
Girls: [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f], [name_u]Fern[/name_u], [name_u]Sylvian[/name_u]

Other names we like…
Boys: [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], [name_u]Clarence[/name_u], [name_u]Forest[/name_u], [name_m]Luther[/name_m], [name_u]Milo[/name_u]
Girls: [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Maple[/name_f], [name_u]Truly[/name_u], [name_f]Temperance[/name_f], [name_u]Hazel[/name_u], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Sylva[/name_f], [name_f]Nola[/name_f]

So what would you do, stick with the N endings or avoid them? Some of those N ending names have been on my list for over a decade and I really do love them. Like [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] and [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] are long time favorites. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband vetoed them when I was pregnant with [name_u]Raven[/name_u], but he’s given me complete control over naming this time. I’ve considered just putting them in the middle, but I don’t really love [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] as a middle name. :crazy_face: Help!

In your case, I’d just pick the name I liked the best and if it happened to end in N, then so be it. I really don’t think most people will notice anyway since N is such a common name ending. Something like [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] or [name_u]Dean[/name_u] also varies the syllable count and makes any ‘theme’ even less noticeable.

I understand the struggle though. I have hang-ups like this often and sometimes need to take a step back and realize it doesn’t really matter in the long run. Best of luck – your lists are really lovely!

6 Likes

I agree with VEL. Pick the name you like best. I wouldn’t worry about it, especially since you are planning to have more kids.

1 Like

you already seem to have a bit of name regret with raven, because you followed the -n theme and ended up picking a name that matched the theme but you didn’t love. i’d definitely stop thinking about -n’s and just pick something that you and your husband will be happy with!

3 Likes

If you are wanting more than this next child, I would stray away from an “N” sounding name if you do not want to continue that pattern. I also think the names sound different enough that it wouldn’t be an issue!

However, for girls, I think that [name_u]Fern[/name_u] and [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] go perfectly with [name_m]Benton[/name_m], [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] and [name_u]Raven[/name_u]. I also think that [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] and [name_m]Silas[/name_m] go well with [name_m]Benton[/name_m], [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] and [name_u]Raven[/name_u] (Jasper being my favorite). Of the girl names without that ending, I like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Flora[/name_f]!

1 Like

I agree with everyone else. At this point I would just pick the name that is your favorite and not worry about the ending so much. Think about it this way - they’re individuals first. Being siblings is just a part of their life, it’s not their whole life. 99% of people they meet throughout life won’t even know their siblings’ names.

1 Like

In berry land I’m a stickler for themes and love the cohesiveness of a theme being followed through however the reality is I think you should choose a name you truly love :heart:

Themes really aren’t that important and to every day people will not be noticed I wouldn’t want you to experience name regret because you were determined to follow a theme. Choose the name you love!

Good luck

1 Like

I’d say just pick whatever name you like best!

1 Like

If you’re looking to have more kids, I’d break the pattern - there seem to be more names on your list that aren’t -n names, and it gives you more freedom. And, if you go with a non-N name this time, it means you’re not in this dilemma next time around - you can use a name that you want.

And for what it’s worth, I think people pay far less attention to matching sets/name patterns than it sometimes seems. I knew a family with six kids, all classic and biblical. They had their seventh and went with something modern and non-biblical. I’ve known siblings with very unique names and then one with a very popular one; I’ve met a set with all word names and then one without. I notice these things because I’m intrigued by names, but it’s only when I’ve pointed it out that the people around me have realised. So I guess what I’m saying, is on seeing your set, it probably won’t be a big deal if one doesn’t have an -n name

1 Like

I’d go with what you love.

Following the pattern with [name_u]Raven[/name_u] sounds like it left you with name regret. I’m concerned that doing it again would just leave you feeling this way about two kids’ names…

Maybe there could be a sort of compromise? You could try to find a middle name that ends in an -n. From your list, [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Dean[/name_u]. [name_f]Maple[/name_f] [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]. Take an “approved” -n name and just stick it in the middle. It would continue the theme but just in a different way and you wouldn’t feel so boxed in or regretful (probably).

1 Like

I have considered doing that with the middle names and I think that might be the way I go. It’s funny that you put [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Dean[/name_u] and [name_f]Maple[/name_f] [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] together because those are the exact ones I’ve put together previously. I love [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Dean[/name_u]. I go back and forth with [name_f]Maple[/name_f] [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]. I’m also loving [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f].

I think it’s alright to break the pattern. Choose whichever name you like best & maybe it’ll continue the pattern & maybe it won’t.

The pattern is pretty subtle anyway & I don’t think the youngest would feel left out even if they’re the only one without a N ending. If the pattern was something like [name_f]Brynn[/name_f], [name_f]Brylee[/name_f], [name_m]Bryan[/name_m] then I could see a child feeling left out if their name didn’t fit. But your kids names are fairly different despite all ending in N so I don’t think a break to the pattern will be that noticeable/important.

1 Like