What would you name a sibling for Ramona, Frances, Calvin, Esther & Margot?

This time last year my husband and I used Nameberry to help name our fifth child, [name]Margot[/name]. We’re back, and although Number Six isn’t due to arrive until [name]June[/name], I thought we’d get a head start on naming him or her.

To us, it’s important that the name we choose is similar in terms of style to our other children’s names: [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Frances[/name] [name]Jemima[/name], [name]Calvin[/name] [name]Otis[/name], [name]Esther[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] & [name]Margot[/name] [name]Saskia[/name]. I’ll add that our kids each have a nickname (of a style once described to me as ‘vintage and down-home’, which I quite like :)), but as they more often go by their full names, names with sweet ‘built in’ nicknames are worth suggesting but by no means a requirement.

Last time around, our front-runners were [name]Philip[/name], [name]Lionel[/name] & [name]Hugo[/name] for boys and as well as [name]Margot[/name], we were keen on [name]Maude[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] & [name]Louisa[/name] for girls. We’re still fond of all of these but we’ve ruled out [name]Hugo[/name] as a first name as it’s too close to [name]Margot[/name].

So what do you think of our rather small list? And, list aside, what would you name a sibling for [name]Ramona[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Calvin[/name], [name]Esther[/name] & [name]Margot[/name]?

Thank you!

[name]Philip[/name] and [name]Lionel[/name] are both in keeping with your pattern of vintage names. You might try [name]Hugh[/name] rather than [name]Hugo[/name]. I might also suggest

[name]Warren[/name]
[name]Wallace[/name]
[name]Walter[/name]
[name]Stuart[/name]
[name]Ernest[/name]

For girls, maybe

[name]Linda[/name]
[name]Eileen[/name]
[name]Sandra[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]

I’m secretly hoping for a boy, so that little [name]Calvin[/name] doesn’t feel quite so outnumbered.

econo: We like [name]Wallace[/name] and love [name]Walter[/name], which was seriously considered last time around. I think [name]Walt[/name] is so handsome.
(And [name]Calvin[/name]'s hoping for a brother too, only not so secretly).

lori johnson: [name]Dorothy[/name] is another we’ve considered in the past and still like, and [name]Lucinda[/name] is lovely.

We both like [name]Hugh[/name] but I think it pales next to [name]Hugo[/name], which I adore.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep them coming!

Incredible sibset! The names below bring to mind your style.

[name]Lucille[/name], [name]Isadora[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Solomon[/name], [name]Meredith[/name], [name]Colette[/name], [name]Helena[/name], [name]Willa[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Rex[/name], [name]Agatha[/name], [name]Agnes[/name], [name]Vesper[/name], [name]Barnaby[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]Oxford[/name], [name]Myrtle[/name], [name]Whitman[/name], [name]Astrid[/name], [name]Xavier[/name], [name]Isolde[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Blythe[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Eamon[/name], [name]Keats[/name], [name]Susanna[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Wilson[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Hayes[/name], [name]Julius[/name], [name]Wolfgang[/name]

I really like [name]Philip[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name]. I adore [name]Louisa[/name]! [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Maude[/name] is nice.

The names of your children are absolutely beautiful, old, refined and classy.

For a boy: [name]Louis[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Edmund[/name], [name]Alfred[/name] and [name]Christian[/name].
For a girl: [name]Norah[/name], [name]Cecily[/name], [name]Maud[/name]/[name]Maude[/name], [name]Anne[/name], [name]Edith[/name], [name]Vera[/name] and [name]Evelyn[/name].

Yay-- you’re back-- I remember [name]Margot[/name] and your lovely sibset. From your list I prefer [name]Philip[/name] to [name]Lionel[/name] and think [name]Philip[/name] [name]Lionel[/name] would be a great addition. I also like the suggestions of [name]Alfred[/name], [name]Louis[/name], and [name]Walter[/name] too. Although I love all three of your girl names, I probably would not do [name]Maude[/name] as a fn because of [name]Margot[/name]. But [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Maude[/name] or [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Maude[/name] would be wonderful additions too. The suggestions of [name]Agatha[/name], [name]Agnes[/name], and [name]Dorothy[/name] above are great too-- [name]Agnes[/name] [name]Dorothy[/name], [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Maude[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Agnes[/name], [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Maude[/name], [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Agnes[/name], or [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Dorothy[/name].

Some other suggestions:

[name]Ramona[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Calvin[/name], [name]Esther[/name], [name]Margot[/name], and

[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Avis[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Constance[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Faye[/name]
[name]Fern[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Gertrude[/name]
[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Jean[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Nadine[/name]
[name]Nora/name
[name]Pamela[/name]
[name]Paula[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Sonya[/name]
[name]Sybil[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Theresa[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]

[name]Abraham[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name]
[name]Donald[/name]
[name]Douglas[/name]
[name]Edwin[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Harold[/name]
[name]Harvey[/name]
[name]Herbert[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Isaiah[/name]
[name]Jonas[/name]
[name]Linus[/name]
[name]Lucian[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Paul[/name]
[name]Ralph[/name]
[name]Stanley[/name]
[name]Thaddeus[/name]
[name]Wesley[/name]
[name]Winston[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]

For a girl I immediately thought of [name]Jemima[/name] :slight_smile:
[name]Louisa[/name] and [name]Phillip[/name] are my favorites from your list. You might also like:
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Phillipa[/name] nn [name]Pippa[/name]

I like all the boy names but I think Lionel is my favorite because of its meaning. Hugo would be second. Of the girl names I really only like Phoebe. Louisa is a nice middle name though. I don’t find Maude appealing at all.

If it were my pick I would name him/her:
August

Leonie

What a fantastically named group of kiddos! I love your style! Your short list is lovely. [name]Do[/name] you have middle names picked out already?

[name]Ramona[/name] [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Frances[/name] [name]Jemima[/name], [name]Calvin[/name] [name]Otis[/name], [name]Esther[/name] [name]Marigold[/name], [name]Margot[/name] [name]Saskia[/name] and…

[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]

[name]Constance[/name]
[name]Lilith[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]

[name]Walter[/name]
[name]Philip[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]

[name]Howard[/name]
[name]Julius[/name]
[name]Reginald[/name]
[name]Caspar[/name]

minisia: We like [name]Lucille[/name] a lot but probably won’t use it for the fact that [name]Ramona[/name]’s middle name is [name]Lucy[/name]. [name]Agnes[/name] and [name]Agatha[/name] are both gorgeous – [name]Agnes[/name] has been on our lists in the past but we worry it’s too close to [name]Frances[/name], but [name]Agatha[/name] is fantastic. [name]Willa[/name]’s another we’ve considered before and still like. [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Helena[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Myrtle[/name], [name]Astrid[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Isadora[/name], [name]Isolde[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Blythe[/name], [name]Susanna[/name] & [name]Nora[/name] are all lovely too. I adore [name]Barnaby[/name] and [name]Solomon[/name] and my husband loves [name]Jasper[/name] but we think it may be too close to [name]Esther[/name]. What do you think? [name]Rex[/name], [name]Julius[/name], [name]Wolfgang[/name] & [name]Xavier[/name] are all very handsome and [name]Whitman[/name] is interesting but I think [name]Walter[/name] would be our favourite way to honour the poet.

shvibziks: Thank you! [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Edmund[/name] and [name]Alfred[/name] were all close contenders had [name]Margot[/name] been a boy. We both like [name]Vera[/name], [name]Edith[/name], [name]Cecily[/name] and [name]Nora[/name] (I think I prefer it without the h) too.

davisellu: So many lovely suggestions! [name]Alice[/name], [name]Avis[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name] (husband loves [name]Beatrix[/name]), [name]Constance[/name], [name]Freya[/name], [name]Ingrid[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Jane[/name], [name]Jean[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Philippa[/name], [name]Ruth[/name], [name]Sybil[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name] & [name]Viola[/name] are all delightful. As are [name]Abraham[/name], [name]George[/name], [name]Harvey[/name], [name]Linus[/name], [name]Oscar[/name] (though if [name]Jasper[/name]’s too similar to [name]Esther[/name], [name]Oscar[/name] definitely is), [name]Ralph[/name] & [name]Stanley[/name]. I particularly like [name]Constance[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name], [name]Nora[/name] & [name]Ralph[/name].

milenavioelt: [name]Jemima[/name] is [name]Frances[/name]’ middle name ”. [name]Eloise[/name] & [name]Philippa[/name] are sweet. Thank you!

uselesskitty: We do like [name]August[/name] for a boy and adore the nickname [name]Gus[/name], but worry that perhaps it’s not as congruent with our other children’s names as, say, [name]Philip[/name]. What do you think?

fairchild: Thank you! No, we don’t have middle names picked out. I love your suggestions of [name]Constance[/name], [name]Cecily[/name], [name]Blythe[/name], [name]Susannah[/name], [name]Viola[/name] & [name]Harriet[/name]. [name]Both[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] and [name]Constance[/name] have been on the shortlist during previous pregnancies. [name]Gwyneth[/name] and [name]Lilith[/name] are interesting. We like [name]Lillian[/name] but have never considered [name]Lilith[/name]!

Thank you all once again. I plan to post a more thorough list here within the next few days.

[name]Hugo[/name] is one of my personal favorites so that has my vote for a boy. I like both [name]Maude[/name] & [name]Louisa[/name] from your list.

I think [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name] would work well with your sibset, and [name]Agnes[/name] was the first additional name to come to mind, and you might like [name]Leonie[/name] since you’re a fan of [name]Lionel[/name].

I like [name]Philip[/name] from your boy list and think [name]Lionel[/name] could make a nice middle. I like the suggestion of [name]Hugh[/name] if [name]Hugo[/name] is off the table.

Wow your kids have gorgeous names
For a boy I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Walter[/name] as well as [name]Phillip[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Henry[/name] or [name]Arthur[/name]
For a girl the first name that entered my mind was [name]Sylvia[/name], then [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Vera[/name], [name]Norah[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Ada[/name] or [name]Adele[/name] maybe oh and [name]Lenore[/name] which I personally [name]ADORE[/name] lol
[name]Do[/name] you have any middle names picked out?
Can’t wait to hear what you decide

Perhaps maybe

• [name]Isadora[/name]
  • [name]Ingrid[/name] (I think of lovely [name]Ingrid[/name] Bergman
  • [name]Phillipa[/name]
  • [name]Meredith[/name]
  • [name]Mabel[/name]
  • [name]Cynthia[/name]
  • [name]Judith[/name]
  • [name]Diana[/name]
  • [name]Jane[/name]
  • [name]Gloria[/name]
  • [name]Blythe[/name]

For boys maybe…

• [name]Walter[/name]
  • [name]Louis[/name]
  • [name]Dean[/name]
  • [name]Arthur[/name]
  • [name]Lawrence[/name]
  • [name]Robert[/name]
  • [name]Kenneth[/name]
  • [name]Gareth[/name]
  • [name]Dale[/name]
  • [name]Theodore[/name]

What beautiful names! -your children’s names as well as your new ideas. And, there are some really gorgeous suggestions in here too.

I really like [name]Iris[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Cadence[/name] (hmm, or is that too close to [name]Calvin[/name]?), [name]Greta[/name], [name]Gretchen[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Heloise[/name], [name]Kay[/name], [name]Harriet[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Adele[/name], [name]Minerva[/name], and [name]Bronwyn[/name] for girls and [name]Simon[/name], [name]Rupert[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Barnaby[/name], and [name]Gideon[/name] for boys.

Thank you cygnus, anton_yelchin_fan, lizalee, lori johnson, tk. & isabellemarie!
Here is our more thorough, updated list:

[name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name] (or [name]Sylvie[/name]?)
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name]
[name]Constance[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Zelda[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Betty[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Thomasina[/name]/[name]Thomasine[/name]
[name]Millicent[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name] ([name]Dot[/name])
[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]June[/name]/[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Jean[/name]
[name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Lilith[/name]
[name]Sybil[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Muriel[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]

[name]Philip[/name] ([name]Pip[/name])
[name]Walter[/name] ([name]Walt[/name])
[name]Lionel[/name] ([name]Lyle[/name])
[name]August[/name] ([name]Gus[/name])
[name]Edmund[/name] ([name]Ned[/name])
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Lewis[/name]
[name]Ralph[/name]
[name]Stanley[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Ambrose[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Lowell[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]/[name]Julius[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Wilfred[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name] (middle name only)
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Wilbur[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Wallace[/name]
[name]Rex[/name]
[name]Alec[/name]
[name]Abram[/name]/[name]Abraham[/name] ([name]Bram[/name])
[name]Barnaby[/name]
[name]Alfred[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Linus[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name] ([name]Mac[/name])
[name]Amos[/name]
[name]Charles[/name] ([name]Chas[/name])

(Some of these would only be used as middle names).
What are your favourites with Bub’s siblings’ names? Which ones would you cut?

Thanks again!

Ok so these are the names I think work best with your sibset and that I personally find attractive I guess is the word I’m looking for:

Girls:

[name]Sylvia[/name] with the nn [name]Sylvie[/name] (I love this, possibly as the number one choice)
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name] (underused and I think it needs to be used more, a very sweet name)
[name]Willa[/name] (personally I think it’s maybe a bit more modern than your other children’s names, though I think it’s beautiful it also feels to me as more of a nn)
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Vera[/name] (do you want longer names that can be shortened? If so I’d use [name]Verity[/name] with [name]Vera[/name] as a nn)
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Nora[/name] (same question as [name]Vera[/name], since I personally [name]ADORE[/name] the name [name]Lenore[/name]/[name]Lenora[/name] which I suggested already it could be a longer form to use [name]Nora[/name] as a nn)
[name]Theodora[/name] (nn [name]Thea[/name], so cute I love it)
[name]Dorothy[/name] ([name]Dot[/name]) gorgeous
I’d use [name]Juniper[/name] nn [name]June[/name]/[name]Junie[/name] it’s a favourite of mine
[name]Jean[/name] (I love this name though I think of it as more of a middle name with your sibset for some reason)
[name]Susannah[/name] (very sweet but maybe slightly more common place or more not popular but I can’t think of another word where as your other girls names are recognizable and familiar but not commonplace though [name]Susannah[/name] is a very sweet beautiful name)
[name]Alice[/name]

Top five girls names:
[name]Sylvia[/name] nn [name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name] nn [name]June[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name] (cute little nn of [name]Maxi[/name] if you chose to use it too)
[name]Nora[/name] (or [name]Lenore[/name]/[name]Lenora[/name] nn [name]Nora[/name])
[name]Dorothy[/name] nn [name]Dot[/name] or [name]Dottie[/name]

Boys:

[name]Philip[/name] ([name]Pip[/name])
[name]Walter[/name] ([name]Walt[/name])
[name]Lionel[/name] ([name]Lyle[/name])
[name]August[/name] ([name]Gus[/name])
[name]Lewis[/name] maybe with nn [name]Lou[/name]?
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]/[name]Julius[/name] (I can’t decide between these two I love them equally)
[name]Theodore[/name] nn [name]Teddy[/name] would be adorable
[name]Rex[/name] (I adore this name, I used to look after a beautiful little boy called [name]Rex[/name] so it’s got positive connotations for me but maybe it’s too short? not sure if you want your children to have two syllable names?)
[name]Abraham[/name] ([name]Bram[/name])
[name]Cormac[/name] ([name]Mac[/name]) though it is the same inital as [name]Calvin[/name] so I’m not sure how you’d feel about that especially since it would be your two boys sharing the same initial?

Top five boys names:
[name]Walter[/name] nn [name]Walt[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] nn [name]Teddy[/name]
[name]Philip[/name] nn [name]Pip[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name] (maybe nn [name]Mac[/name]? or [name]Corey[/name] even?)
I do love [name]Rex[/name] too so it’s in the top five even though I find it a little short with your other children’s names

[name]Hope[/name] that helps

I like [name]Luther[/name] for a boy with your sibset. From your list I like [name]Phillip[/name] and [name]Lionel[/name]

I think [name]Louisa[/name] is lovely.

For boys, from you list: [name]Simon[/name], [name]Samuel[/name], [name]Julian[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name]. Have you thought about [name]Adrian[/name]?

Girls: [name]Sylvia[/name], [name]Theodora[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Susannah[/name]. I thought [name]Gwen[/name] would fit in nicely, as well.