What would you name this baby?

I just found out yesterday that a couple I know is expecting their first baby. I have personal “guessing lists” going for several expectant friends, trying to predict their next pick, but they all have several kids already, which means I have an idea of their naming style. Since this baby will be their first and I don’t know the couple that well, I have no idea at all what they might name a child. But the mom was adopted from [name]India[/name] when she was five or six, and the dad comes from a Russian Old Believer family.

I think they would be able to choose a very beautiful (or handsome, depending on the baby’s gender) name that would honor their combined heritage and still work well in [name]America[/name]. Rather than drawing up a personal list, I thought I would start this thread. So, just for fun (I have no intention of giving them unsolicited suggestions), with these two cultures in mind, what would you name their child? First, or first and middle name?

Hm, for girls, something in the [name]Lila[/name]/[name]Leya[/name]/[name]Leyla[/name]/[name]Liya[/name] vein (half of those were Hindi-related and half were Russian/Eastern European…) would cross cultures well and definitely fit the present day culture! Ditto for the Hindi [name]Mela[/name] and Russian [name]Mila[/name]! I also think [name]Sena[/name], [name]Mina[/name], or [name]Kalindi[/name] would be pretty.

Boys are a little harder, I think. [name]Rohan[/name] strikes me as Hindi choice with some of the heft of a Russian name…

Girl- [name]Nina[/name] would be a lovely choice since it is used in both languages and in [name]America[/name].
The Russian [name]Milena[/name] lends itself easily to nn, that is a fn in [name]Indian[/name], of either [name]Lena[/name] or [name]Mena[/name].
Iveska lends itself to [name]Indian[/name] [name]Ivy[/name].
[name]Indian[/name] use of [name]Anushka[/name] lends itself to Russian accepted [name]Ana[/name].
Russian Valenta or [name]Valentina[/name] lends itself to [name]Indian[/name] [name]Valli[/name].
I like [name]Nina[/name] Iveska or [name]Anushka[/name], [name]Anushka[/name] [name]Noor[/name] ([name]Ana[/name]) or [name]Anushka[/name] [name]Milena[/name] ([name]Ana[/name], [name]Mena[/name], [name]Lena[/name]), [name]Valentina[/name] [name]Ivy[/name] ([name]Valli[/name], [name]Nina[/name], [name]Ivy[/name]), [name]Nina[/name] Valenta, [name]Valli[/name] [name]Milena[/name], [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Anina[/name]

Boy- [name]Luka[/name] [name]Idris[/name] (Russian fn/[name]Indian[/name] mn, but has an overall flair/sound of both [name]IMO[/name]) — FUN!

Thanks! This is fun. I love the ideas of [name]Lila[/name] or [name]Leya[/name], [name]Sena[/name], and [name]Nina[/name] for a girl. [name]Nina[/name] Valenta is beautiful. I also like the idea of [name]Anushka[/name], nn [name]Ana[/name]. You have wonderful ideas for cross-cultural nicknames, notcinnamon. I like [name]Milena[/name], too, but [name]Mila[/name]/[name]Mela[/name] and maybe [name]Mina[/name]/[name]Mena[/name] are probably too close to the mom’s name to work.

I like both [name]Rohan[/name] and [name]Luka[/name] for a boy–great cross-cultural choices, [name]IMO[/name].