What would you name your second child?

Hey berries

I was just curious to see what you guys would name your second child? So either in reality or hypothetically you’ve named your first child x what name would their sibling be? How does that name differ from the name you named your first/hypothetical child?

So for example I named my first child [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Ella[/name_f] if I was to have another child I think I would name them either [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] or [name_m]Malachi[/name_m] Otim [name_m]John[/name_m]. With [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] I think she feels very feminine like [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Ella[/name_f] but [name_f]Clara[/name_f] feels more traditional in Western society in comparison to [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]. I would pronounce [name_f]Clara[/name_f] as clar ra not [name_u]Clair[/name_u] ra which seems to be a popular pronunciation in [name_u]America[/name_u]. [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] are honour names. [name_m]Malachi[/name_m] Otim [name_m]John[/name_m] feels very masculine, has strong biblical ties and feels tougher.

So what would you name your child second and how does that name differ from your first (hypothetical) child’s name? If you have multiple children what would you name an additional child and how does that differ from the rest of your children’s names!

Really curious! Thank you :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I already have four children, so it’s not very hypothetical for me :grin:

The name of my second son, [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m], is very different from my oldest son’s name, Hjörtur. The main reason for this is that Hjörtur has a different father. Not only did this mean that I had to compromise with another person when I was pregnant with my second, but it also meant a whole new range of things to consider: different heritage, family, circumstances etc.
[name_f]My[/name_f] “new” SO doesn’t want his children to have a very obvious Iceland first name like Hjörtur, so my entire list of beloved Icelandic names went out the window (but can be used as middle names). [name_f]My[/name_f] own taste in names has also changed dramatically since I was pregnant with my first, so…

I now have four sons: Hjörtur [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m], [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m] Húni, [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] Pythagoras & [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] Zakynthos. A fifth child could be [name_m]Astrophel[/name_m] or Robichaux if it’s a boy. Middle names I’m considering are [name_f]Hyacinthe[/name_f], [name_u]Meridian[/name_u] & [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]. For a girl [name_f]Athenais[/name_f] and [name_f]Flordelis[/name_f] are the top runners, and I’m liking the middle name [name_f]Paloma[/name_f].

10 Likes

@Rosebeth thank you for sharing such an interesting read! Your names are so magical and ethereal. I have to say [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] is a name that I have been crushing on.

3 Likes

My second is Alexander. I wanted a Z and A of the alphabet but it’s a bit tongue and cheek as my partner and I are not traditional and A came after Z ( my eldest) lol. If any of that makes sense. So we have a Z-A in our boys names.
In hindsight I wish i had my second boys name reversed. Theo Alexander over Alexander Theo. Mainly because he gets Alex and that was never intended as his nickname as I don’t actually like the name Alex. But hey ho. Families for you going against what you would like them to be called.
I also wish I had gone for fresher but similiar Alexander alternatives like
Evander or Alexis

1 Like

First I heard of Floredelis! I love it.

3 Likes

If I had a boy and girl in any order they’d be [name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m] & [name_f]Athena[/name_f] [name_f]Clary[/name_f], as is fairly well established on this site (:wink:), so I’m going to answer for if I had two boys or two girls.

It changes, but at the moment I’m thinking a second boy would be [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] [name_u]Laurence[/name_u], and a second girl would be [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

All the middles are honor names, and the first ones are just names I really love that I think go together as siblings. To the point that if I had two boys and two girls, I think those would still be the names :slight_smile:

That said, I don’t have kids and am not currently planning to— closest thing I’ve come to naming a child is my cat [name_m]Montague[/name_m] “Monty”— so this is all purely hypothetical.

4 Likes

I would probably name my first child [name]Caoimhe[/name] [name]Alexandria[/name] [name]Rose[/name] (Caoimhe isn’t a family name but it’s similar to my name [name]Cadhla[/name] and my sister’s name [name]Caitríona[/name], [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f] is just a nice name and has a few of the same sounds as my fiancé’s mom [name]Brandi[/name], and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is my grandmother’s middle name) or [name]Muiris[/name] [name]Lionel[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] (Muiris is the Irish form of my grandfather’s name [name_u]Maurice[/name_u], [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] was my fiancé’s great grandfather, and [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] was my grandfather and two of my fiancé’s other great grandfathers) and my second [name]Marie[/name] [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Alberta[/name] (Marie is my middle name, my grandmother’s first name, and the first middle name of my fiancé’s late sister, [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] is my aunt’s name, and [name_f]Alberta[/name_f] is the Canadian province where my fiancé grew up) or [name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Ray[/name] [name]Nordegg[/name] (Benjamin was my great grandfather, [name_u]Ray[/name_u] is my fiancé’s second middle name, and Nordegg is a small mining town my fiancé has connections to)
As you can see, I’m big on family names/names with personal meaning. However, I don’t have any children yet, so my choices might change when I have to name an actual baby rather than just thinking about some non-immediate future.

@anon25197097 thank you for sharing and I love [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] such a lovely strong classic name! I’ve also always loved [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] I actually have on my list [name_u]Forest[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] & [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] [name_f]Jenny[/name_f] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@itsjustjack thank you for responding [name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m] & [name_f]Athena[/name_f] [name_f]Clary[/name_f] are lovely your other two are such classic names too. Also who doesn’t love hypotheticals!

@cadhlamarie95 thank you for sharing I love the Irish names also so refreshing seeing [name_u]Marie[/name_u] as a first name.

2 Likes

[name_f]Olga[/name_f] [name_f]Linnéa[/name_f] or [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]Truett[/name_m]

1 Like

This is theoretical as I am not going to be having any more biological babies. So Beck has two middle names that are much more well known and used than his first, the first MN is two syllables and the second has one syllable, to give you an idea.
If I had a girl, I have my heart set on using the name Marianne. I really like Sylvie Marianne but I’d want Marianne to be her first name so I might use Marianne Sylvie, even though I don’t like the flow as much that way around. I don’t think Beck and Marianne are a cohesive set of siblings, but there’d be around 20 years between them and my taste in names is really eclectic so my sibsets may as well be too :rofl:
I don’t have an enduring favourite for a boy. I like many more traditional names now, than when I was naming Beck. One of these is Oscar, and it would be nice to have two middles to match Beck, so perhaps something like Oscar Reuben Kai. That matches syllable wise too which appeals to me! I adore the name River but that’s what Beck means so I guess I have already used that one!! I also like Finlo a lot and I think that goes well with Beck in the short and quirky stakes.
You’ve got me thinking which double middle would work with Marianne…

3 Likes

my first child would be either [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Maxence[/name_m] [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] or [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] Addiena, so if i had a boy and a girl i’d use the other. if i had 2 boys, first name would be [name_u]Julian[/name_u] and middles would probably be [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] [name_m]Iorwerth[/name_m]. if i had 2 girls, probably [name_u]Addison[/name_u] [name_f]Polly[/name_f] Ceinwen.

1 Like

@Klaralinnea thanks for answering!

@EdgeOfTheMeadow absolutely love [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] & [name_u]Beck[/name_u] together I feel like they are very storybook inspired I really like that pairing. I also think either [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] or [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] is beautiful. It’s predictable but I like the idea of [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] [name_u]Kai[/name_u] is lush!

@lucyxo Thank you for responding I love [name_u]August[/name_u] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

So I will soon have three girls. When we were naming my oldest, my husband liked both [name_f]Noemi[/name_f] and [name_f]Kiana[/name_f]. We ended up using [name_f]Noemi[/name_f] for her first name and [name_f]Xochitl[/name_f] for her middle name, which is the word flower in my husband’s family’s native language.

When I was pregnant with my second daughter, I suggested other names to my husband, but he still really liked [name_f]Kiana[/name_f]. I wanted to avoid a middle name ending with -a, so I suggested [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]. We did not use another Nahuatl name for her, but her middle is related to a flower like her sister’s.

Now for this baby I gave him a bunch of names again, and there were a few he liked. So I wrote down different combos of first and middle names, and he suggested [name_f]Magali[/name_f] [name_f]Belén[/name_f], which I had in other combos but not together. She will not have a name related to flowers, but all three girls have 3 syllable first names, which was not planned.

All three girls would have been named Zenón if they were boys. We hadn’t gotten around to middle names yet because they’ve all been girls lol. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband’s grandfather who passed away before we met was named Zenón.

1 Like

I feel like I dream up/fall in love with a new sibset everyday! :sweat_smile: But let’s just go with the tried and true…

If I have a little boy first, especially if it is with my current boyfriend he will probably be called [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] (middles are all over the place, but we’ve always loved Oliver!)

Family names will most likely be used for all of their middles (so I’ll have to say goodbye to [name_f]Darling[/name_f], [name_f]Petal[/name_f], [name_u]Wilde[/name_u], etc. :disappointed:)

If he’s [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Jay[/name_u], his little brother would most likely be something along the lines of [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], [name_u]Finn[/name_u], or [name_u]Milo[/name_u] (if he doesn’t have an older brother named one of these)

Oliver’s little sister would definitely be [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], that is my favorite girls’ name! But I don’t like the common sounds in the endings, so she might be [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Ida[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], or [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]!

If we have a little girl first, she’ll be either [name_f]Willa[/name_f] or [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] most likely! And her little brother/sister would be [name_u]Amos[/name_u], [name_u]Milo[/name_u], [name_u]Finn[/name_u], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], or [name_u]Oliver[/name_u]!

So to actually answer your question now :see_no_evil:

Here are some combinations I have for my second baby, if not used on the first!

[name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]
[name_u]Amos[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_u]Freddie[/name_u] [name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u]

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f] [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f] [name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]

4 Likes

Im guessing my top names will totally change if Im lucky enough get a second pregnancy! But if I were naming my first and second today…

[name_f]Sunday[/name_f] and [name_u]Ezra[/name_u]
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f] and [name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_u]Ezra[/name_u] and [name_f]Sunday[/name_f]
[name_u]Ezra[/name_u] and [name_u]Sidney[/name_u]

Hoping I can get my husband on board with [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] at the moment!

I like middle names that have a family link but I don’t really think of them as honor names.

2 Likes

i love reading these!!

if my first child was a girl, her name would [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] [name_u]Wren[/name_u], her younger brother would be named [name_u]Parker[/name_u] Hudson…
if my first child was a boy, his name would be [name_u]Hudson[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u]. his first little sister, her name would be [name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_f]Maelie[/name_f]. just because this is hypothetical, they would also have a younger sister named [name_u]Blair[/name_u] because i love those names together so much!

[name_u]Hadley[/name_u] and [name_u]Parker[/name_u]
or
[name_u]Hudson[/name_u], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], and [name_u]Blair[/name_u]

2 Likes

Assuming I had a girl first and named her [name_f]Clara[/name_f], I’m loving [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] as siblings for her. The combos would probably be [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] + [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_u]Antonia[/name_u] or [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]March[/name_u]. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I love the sound of [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] with [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Ella[/name_f]! I have always thought [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] & [name_f]Clara[/name_f] would make such beautiful sister names. <3
I also quite like [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] & [name_m]Malachi[/name_m] together. Great choices!

5 Likes

If I am naming my children alone or my SO agrees to the names I love, then this is what I would name my children:

As much as I would love to have Tɛgᴀn, Ɛlvᴀ, [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] / [name_m]Konrad[/name_m], more than likely I will have [name_f]Annika[/name_f], Tɛgᴀn, Ɛlvᴀ, [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] / [name_m]Konrad[/name_m] OR [name_f]Annika[/name_f], Tɛgᴀn, Ɛlvᴀ, [name_m]Matthew[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] / [name_m]Konrad[/name_m].

Therefore if my first is a boy (either [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] or Sebastian), my second boy would be [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] or [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] / [name_m]Konrad[/name_m] and a girl would be either [name_f]Annika[/name_f] or Tɛgᴀn.

If my first is a girl (either [name_f]Annika[/name_f] or Tɛgᴀn), the second girl would be Tɛgᴀn or Ɛlvᴀ and a boy would be either [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] or [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m].

If we have single middle names, then the MN would be an honor name for someone important to us.

If we have double middle names, the first would be an honor name for someone or something important to us and the second would be a nature name. If one or both MNs would be both an honor name and a nature name, all the better.

1 Like

Okay well I am totally childless and so all I can really say is that the name and sex of kid #1 is going to greatly influence the name of kid# 2. If my first child was female she will definitely be getting named [name_f]Annora[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_f]Salomé[/name_f] and called [name_u]Noor[/name_u] for short. If my first child is a male then he would be named [name_m]Elio[/name_m] [name_m]Jerome[/name_m] [name_u]Hendrix[/name_u].

So based off that, if baby 2 is a girl and baby 1 is also a girl then I will likely be naming baby 2 [name_f]Isola[/name_f] [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Helene[/name_f] and calling them [name_u]Noor[/name_u] & [name_f]Isola[/name_f]. If baby 2 is a boy but with older sister [name_u]Noor[/name_u] then he will probably be getting called [name_m]Alain[/name_m] [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Thoreau[/name_m], [name_u]Noor[/name_u] & [name_m]Alain[/name_m] :sun_with_face:

If baby 1 is a boy and baby 2 is a girl then I think I’d pick [name_f]Julieta[/name_f] [name_f]Apolline[/name_f] over my [name_f]Isola[/name_f] combo, so I’d have an [name_m]Elio[/name_m] & [name_f]Etta[/name_f]. If baby 1 is [name_m]Elio[/name_m] and baby 2 turns out to be a son as well then I think I would go with [name_m]Marceau[/name_m] [name_m]Seaborn[/name_m] [name_m]Sly[/name_m] for his name.

1 Like

edited for privacy

2 Likes