What would you Name?

What would you name a baby if the first or middle name was inspired by your mom’s mother or father ?

1 Like

After my own parents?

If yes:
Anneliese
Annette
Anne
Anna
Anouk
Ansel
Andrew

Isaac
Theodore
Isadora
Isaline
Dorothy
Dorothea
Isabelle
Isaline

Oh, sorry, you mean my grandparents!

Alexander
Alexandria
Alistair
Sasha

Marianne
Anne
Marie
Marigold
Anneliese
Marianna

1 Like

Ruthie (Granny’s middle name) [name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] (Papaws name is [name_m]William[/name_m]) [name_f]Mae[/name_f]

1 Like

Uhmm grandparents in mum’s side

OK I edited

1 Like

Mary [name_f]Kathryn[/name_f] (my mother’s grandmother’s fn and my father’s grandmother’s mn)
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] (my father’s grandfather’s nickname and my mother’s grandmother’s mn)
[name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m] (my father’s grandfather’s fn and my mother’s grandfather’s fn)
[name_f]Doris[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] (my father’s grandmother’s fn and my mother’s grandmother’s mn)
[name_f]Gladys[/name_f] [name_f]Lenore[/name_f] (my mother’s grandmother’s fn and my father’s grandmother’s mn)
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] (mother’s grandfather name)

Margaret
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nn. [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ann[/name_f]/Anne/Anna

Dorian
[name_m]Bernard[/name_m]
[name_u]Douglas[/name_u] nn. [name_m]Doug[/name_m]

My mum’s mother was named [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. This name was way too overused on my mum’s side of the family. It was given to every firstborn girl, except my mum, and each was known by a nickname ([name_f]Katie[/name_f], [name_f]Kathy[/name_f], etc.) so they wouldn’t get confused.

My mum’s father was named [name_u]George[/name_u] and I quite like this name and might use it day use it to honour him. [name_u]George[/name_u] for a boy or [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] for a girl.

Tristan [name_m]Malachi[/name_m] and [name_f]Tansy[/name_f] [name_f]Margot[/name_f] (using my Dad’s initials)

Sarai [name_f]Jane[/name_f] ([name_f]Jane[/name_f] being my Mum’s middle) or [name_f]Juno[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] ([name_f]Juno[/name_f] being a nod to my mum’s first name)

If i was to honour both, I’d choose [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and [name_f]Juno[/name_f] [name_f]Talullah[/name_f]

Simone [name_f]Margalit[/name_f] or [name_u]Si[/name_u] [name_m]Marius[/name_m] for my dad. [name_f]Suki[/name_f] [name_f]Anna[/name_f] or [name_m]Etienne[/name_m] [name_f]Sommer[/name_f] for my mum.

1 Like

Wesley [name_m]Henderson[/name_m] (same mn as my grandpa)
[name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]George[/name_u] (my grandpa’s fn was [name_u]George[/name_u])
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] (same mn as my grandma)

Ethan [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] (my granddad’s fn was [name_u]Freddy[/name_u])

Would never name my kids after them, but assuming I was close with them…

(mom and dad’s side)
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] - first name for maternal grandmother: similar meaning to her first name/middle name for paternal grandmother: ends with her middle
[name_m]Jemuel[/name_m] [name_m]Hamish[/name_m] - both names for maternal grandfather: similar look and sound/same meaning

I left out my parental grandfather as my dad has no relationship with him at all and hasn’t for the better part of 30 years. I also don’t know his full name.

You mean my maternal grandparents? They’re [name_m]Albert[/name_m] & [name_f]Annette[/name_f]. I actually would strongly consider using [name_m]Albert[/name_m] as a fn. So maybe…

[name_m]Albert[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]-[name_m]David[/name_m] is my dad.

Or as a mn, I’d do [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] [name_m]Albert[/name_m].

For a girl, I don’t hate [name_f]Annette[/name_f], but I’m more likely to just use an ‘A’ name to honor her. That’s more of the Jewish tradition anyway.

So, I’d consider [name_f]Aine[/name_f] for a fn. Maybe [name_f]Aine[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] after my dad again. And I’d love to do [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] w/an ‘A’ mn, but our ln starts w/an M. So, DAM wouldn’t work! So maybe [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] [name_f]Azalea[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] or [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Aviva[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

oh, fun!!

to honor my mom’s parents:
[name_u]Frankie[/name_u] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] ([name_u]Frankie[/name_u] honors my grandma’s middle name, [name_f]Violet[/name_f] honors her maiden name which roughly translates to purple and her love of flowers)
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] ([name_f]Poppy[/name_f] honors what I called my grandpa, [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] was his mother’s name)

[name_m]Agustus[/name_m] [name_u]Blue[/name_u] ([name_m]Agustus[/name_m] honors my grandma’s first, [name_u]Blue[/name_u] honors her favorite color)
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m] ([name_m]Jack[/name_m] honors my grandpa’s first, [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m] was his deceased brother’s name and deceased son’s name)

out of these, I actually currently have [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] on my list as an honor :slight_smile: not sure if I’d actually use the rest though!

After my grandmas: [name_f]Antoinette[/name_f] Kathia “[name_f]Etta[/name_f]” ([name_f]Antoinette[/name_f] and [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f])
After my grandpas: [name_u]Jameson[/name_u] [name_u]Denver[/name_u] “[name_u]Jamie[/name_u]” (R0nald J@mes and [name_m]Dennis[/name_m])
This is a great thread! I think I might add just these to my lists :slight_smile:

Caroline [name_f]Annelise[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]

I did! [name_f]My[/name_f] son is [name_u]Kit[/name_u] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] – [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] after my mum’s mother [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f] :heart:

Her father was [name_m]Alan[/name_m] :thinking: Maybe [name_f]Alafair[/name_f] for a girl (first or middle), and [name_m]Alban[/name_m] for a boy?

2 Likes

After my mom’s mother:
If it were a girl: [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]
If it were a boy: [name_u]Landon[/name_u] [name_u]Mason[/name_u]

After my mom’s father:
If it were a girl: [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] [name_u]Day[/name_u]
If it were a boy: [name_m]Malachi[/name_m] [name_u]Dean[/name_u]

So my mom’s adopted, so I’m going do both bc we met the bio mom.

My mom’s mom:
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] [name_u]Cruz[/name_u]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] [name_u]Cruz[/name_u]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f] [name_u]Cruz[/name_u]
[name_u]Cruz[/name_u] [name_m]Cesar[/name_m]

My mom’s dad:
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amanda[/name_f]
[name_m]Armando[/name_m]

My mom’s bio mom:
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Peggy[/name_f]
[name_f]Maggie[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Megan[/name_f]

Papa: [name_m]Don[/name_m]@ld [name_u]Lee[/name_u]
Granny: L@ur@ Je@nne, but she went by her middle name her entire life as she hated her first name

Girls:

• After Papa: [name_f]Orestina[/name_f] Lee or [name_u]Tegan[/name_u] Lee or [name_u]Tegan[/name_u] Lee [name_f]Orestina[/name_f]
  • After Granny: [name_f]Elva[/name_f] Jayne or [name_f]Elva[/name_f] Jayne [name_u]Alani[/name_u]

Boys:

• After Papa: [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] Lee or Donald [name_u]Kai[/name_u] or [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] Lee [name_m]Robert[/name_m]
  • After Granny: don’t have a clue