What would you think?

…if you heard this fictional sibset:

[name]Elinor[/name] [name]Marianne[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Fanny[/name] [name]Julia[/name]
[name]Emma[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name] [name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Anne[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] - I know this doesn’t have good flow…

[name]Do[/name] you know where these names are from? I’m always looking for places that I can pull names from to make combinations or sibsets, and this is one I recently thought of…

I’d think you were a proud [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] fan! I love [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name], too! :slight_smile: Where’s [name]Lydia[/name]? [name]Lydia[/name]'s missing! :slight_smile:

Take care!

Yes, [name]Lydia[/name] is my absolute favorite [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] name (though I do love [name]Eliza[/name], shortened from [name]Elizabeth[/name]), but I was trying to stick to main characters as much as possible (except for some middle names). I think Ms. [name]Austen[/name] chose stunning names for all of her characters! In fact, I’m pretty sure I could name any of my female children from Pride and Prejudice alone!

I also think that many of her main surnames would make excellent male middle names - Dashwood, [name]Bennett[/name], [name]Price[/name] (my sister’s middle name!), Woodhouse, Morland, and [name]Elliot[/name].

Thanks, [name]Jill[/name]!

I think [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] names are fantastic! A while ago, I took a quiz that let me know which [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] character I most took after, but I can’t find it now. I bet you’d get a kick out of it!

I bet I would! I’ve take a couple of those, and I think I’m [name]Elinor[/name] Dashwood, but I’m not sure. Either way, I need to brush up on my Sense and Sensibility - it was never my favorite!

Also, I think both Dickens and the [name]Bronte[/name] sisters, especially [name]Charlotte[/name] with [name]Jane[/name] Eyre (another one I need a refresher on), have excellent character names!

yeah, but would you really WANT to be named after [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Bennet[/name]? :slight_smile:

Well, she is a goofball with her heads in the clouds who makes some silly, childish decisions, so maybe not. But If I used [name]Lydia[/name], it probably wouldn’t be AFTER her - I know another [name]Lydia[/name].

Cool names! [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] really knew how to pick them. It’s fun to look at the names of her characters to see which are popular and which are not. [name]How[/name] about . . .

[name]Elizabeth[/name] - # 9. This one is a classic.
[name]Jane[/name] - # 390. Poor [name]Jane[/name]! And she is such a nice character too. Oh well, [name]Jane[/name] is really popular among Nameberryites.
[name]Caroline[/name] - # 94. While sweet [name]Jane[/name]'s name languishes, [name]Caroline[/name] is an up-and-comer that I really love.
[name]Elinor[/name] - Unranked, though [name]Eleanor[/name] is # 256. With it’s timeless yet heirloom style, [name]Elinor[/name]/[name]Eleanor[/name] is making a comeback.
I’ll do the rest later.

Thanks, [name]Christy[/name]! Like I said, I could probably name all of my female children merely on names from Pride and Prejudice!

[name]Elizabeth[/name] would be shortened to [name]Eliza[/name]. I adore [name]Lydia[/name]. [name]Caroline[/name] is a beautiful name, even if [name]Caroline[/name] Bingley is a bit of a pain. I adore [name]Charlotte[/name], for [name]Elizabeth[/name]'s best friend, [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]. A bit of a stretch for me, although I do love its sound, is [name]Georgiana[/name], for Miss [name]Darcy[/name] herself. These would make a splendid intermix of firsts and middles in my opinion…

Ok, I’m back. More [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] names:

[name]Marianne[/name] - Unranked. I don’t exactly love this one. [name]Elinor[/name]/[name]Eleanor[/name] has fared better.
[name]Lucy[/name] - # 112. Nice name, hatful character.
[name]Emma[/name] - #1. Mr. Woodhouse chose the two most popular names in the SSA for his daughters. (The other one is named [name]Isabella[/name].)
[name]Harriet[/name] - Unranked. Could come back as an antique revival.
[name]Augusta[/name] - Unranked. Solid, heavy, name with a great meaning. (“the exalted one”.) Pill of a character, though.
[name]Frances[/name]/[name]Fanny[/name] - [name]Frances[/name]: #796. [name]Fanny[/name]: unranked. [name]Fanny[/name]! Doesn’t it make you laugh?
[name]Julia[/name] - # 30. Graceful, classic, and feminine. Not a nice character.
[name]Maria[/name] - # 64. Pretty enough name. I don’t recommend naming a child after [name]Maria[/name] [name]Bertram[/name]/Rushworth.
[name]Anne[/name] - # 499. Poor [name]Anne[/name]. [name]Lovely[/name], strong, intelligent heroine with a once-classic name that’s looking to drop out of the top 500.
[name]Louisa[/name] - Unranked. I love this name. Tastefully elegant.
[name]Frederick[/name] - # 523. [name]Frederick[/name]'s name is keeping up (or down) with [name]Anne[/name]‘s. Partly because of the Persuasion hero, this one of my favorite boys’ names.

Believe it or not, I know/knew a girl named [name]Fanny[/name]! She is about 20 now, and she had an older sister named [name]Marie[/name]…

[name]Ah[/name] ha! I was just telling [name]Jill[/name] that I suspected you were a big [name]Austen[/name]/[name]Bronte[/name] fan. I’m ashamed to say I’ve never read Ms. [name]Austen[/name], and the only [name]Bronte[/name] sister I’ve read is [name]Charlotte[/name] with [name]Jane[/name] Eyre, which I enjoyed. My best friend is crazy about [name]Austen[/name]/[name]Bronte[/name] names. All of her suggestions for my kid have been based in Victorian literature. I know I gave you a ridiculously hard time about the name [name]Charlotte[/name] in that other post [mostly for the fun of playing devil’s advocate], but I must admit that the clean sensibility of these names gives them a special appeal.

Oh, I know your hassling was all in good fun! I do love [name]Charlotte[/name] - I named my favorite doll [name]Charlotte[/name] as a kid - but my favorite is really [name]Lydia[/name].

But, yeah, I love Victorian and traditional English literature - it’s the best! You must read some [name]Austen[/name], or at least watch the movies so you can get a feel for it. The books can be a bit of a challenge for someone who isn’t a fan - they are dense and the wording can be a challenge to get through (especially Sense and Sensibility)! I’m partial to the [name]Keira[/name] Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice - though I know I might get virtually slapped by all the BBC lovers out there - because of its beautiful filmography…

I actually think the [name]Bronte[/name] pen names are pretty cool, too! [name]Ellis[/name], [name]Acton[/name], and Currer [name]Bell[/name] for [name]Emily[/name], [name]Anne[/name], and [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Bronte[/name]…

yeah, somehow I don’t see [name]Fanny[/name] coming back, even if [name]Frances[/name] does (and I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Frances[/name]!).

It is hilariously prescient how the Woodhouse girls’ names would fit right into 21st-century [name]America[/name]!

Other [name]Austen[/name] names:

[name]Eleanor[/name] - I like the [name]Elinor[/name] spelling, and [name]Elinor[/name] in S&S is one of my favorite characters, but [name]Austen[/name] also used the more-common spelling for [name]Eleanor[/name] Tilney in Northanger [name]Abbey[/name]
[name]Selina[/name] - another pretty name for a not-nice character, Mr. [name]Elton[/name]'s wife in [name]Emma[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name] - Mr. [name]Darcy[/name]'s little sister in P&P, a very happy and generous character. The next wave after [name]Georgia[/name] peaks?

ETA: yikes, no html here? Here is the address of a comic in which the [name]Bronte[/name] sisters’ pen names make an appearance:

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=224

Oh, I know your hassling was all in good fun! I do love [name]Charlotte[/name] - I named my favorite doll [name]Charlotte[/name] as a kid - but my favorite is really [name]Lydia[/name].

But, yeah, I love Victorian and traditional English literature - it’s the best! You must read some [name]Austen[/name], or at least watch the movies so you can get a feel for it. The books can be a bit of a challenge for someone who isn’t a fan - they are dense and the wording can be a challenge to get through (especially Sense and Sensibility)! I’m partial to the [name]Keira[/name] Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice - though I know I might get virtually slapped by all the BBC lovers out there - because of its beautiful filmography…

I actually think the [name]Bronte[/name] pen names are pretty cool, too! [name]Ellis[/name], [name]Acton[/name], and Currer [name]Bell[/name] for [name]Emily[/name], [name]Anne[/name], and [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Bronte[/name]…[/quote]

I have seen lots of films based on her books. I used to check out the BBC versions from the library, and I love the [name]Emma[/name] [name]Thomson[/name] Sense & Sensibility and the [name]Kiera[/name] Knightley Pride & Prejudice. I liked Becoming [name]Jane[/name] with [name]Ann[/name] Hathaway too. Have you seen that? I really should read her though.

I actually think the [name]Bronte[/name] pen names are pretty cool, too! [name]Ellis[/name], [name]Acton[/name], and Currer [name]Bell[/name] for [name]Emily[/name], [name]Anne[/name], and [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Bronte[/name]…[/quote]

I have seen lots of films based on her books. I used to check out the BBC versions from the library, and I love the [name]Emma[/name] [name]Thomson[/name] Sense & Sensibility and the [name]Kiera[/name] Knightley Pride & Prejudice. I liked Becoming [name]Jane[/name] with [name]Ann[/name] Hathaway too. Have you seen that? I really should read her though.[/quote]

I have! Her life seemed sort of sad… Poor [name]Jane[/name] :frowning:

Yeah, I felt a little bad for her too, but she had a great career and she managed to not get stuck in a bad marriage. That’s doin’ pretty good for her time. Actually, that’s pretty good for our time too. I think I might be pretty satisfied with myself if I were in her shoes. [name]Just[/name] think of how many kids have been named after her work!