What're your opinions on this Asian baby name?

I saw this baby girl name, heard it pronounced and I love it. I’m half [name]Asian[/name] and I’m curious to whether or not it would make a difference if I used an [name]Asian[/name] middle name even if my baby possibly doesn’t look as [name]Asian[/name] as I do???

Anyway the name is: [name]Malee[/name] ([name]May[/name]-lee)

I love the sound, maybe not wild about spelling, but love it enough to ignore the spelling.

What’s your thoughts?

I really like it!

I think it’s pretty, but you could probably spell it phonetically so you like it better and everyone else says it correctly. I don’t think you would have a problem with people thinking your daughter isn’t “[name]Asian[/name] enough” for the name.

I know a [name]Malee[/name] who is 100% Caucasian not [name]Asian[/name] at all!!! They spelled it Malie, but it was pronounced the same way. She was very sweet and I never thought that her name did not match her, no matter what her ethnicity. I think it is a pretty name that could definitely be used :slight_smile: Good luck :slight_smile:

Is there a reason you have chosen the spelling [name]Malee[/name] rather than [name]Mei[/name] Li? I’m asking because I read the name as sounding like “[name]Mally[/name]” before seeing your explanation. I think it’s a really pretty and sweet name.

Well, I mean, [name]Asian[/name] is a broad sort of category. You’ve got everything from Thai, to Chinese, to [name]Indian[/name], to Afghan, to Vietnamese, to Korean in there. If you like the name Maylie, however you want to spell it or say, don’t claim it’s because it’s ‘asian’. It’s rather a trendy mix of sounds ([name]Kaylee[/name], [name]Jaylee[/name], [name]Mylie[/name], etc. ). If you want to honor your heritage, I’d recommend looking at the naming traditions of the specific country your family is from, and pull ideas from there.

Not so much about honoring my heritage because I think this name is different from my own, but I just like this name. The reason I spelled it like this was because that’s how I saw it. I’m open for different spelling options, but would rather it not start like [name]May[/name]. Besides I don’t think many people write their middle name out a whole lot so for schools I’m not concerned about pronounciation. First name would be [name]Rowan[/name] so again not entirely worried.

So, [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Mei[/name]-Li (hyphenated) or [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Malee[/name]?

[name]Malee[/name] doesn’t read [name]Asian[/name] to me at all-I originally thought it was a trendy spelling of [name]Molly[/name]. [name]Mei[/name] Li, however, does seem Chinese to me (and according to behindthename, it is.) Either way, it seems to me much more a part of the American [name]Hailey[/name]/[name]Bailey[/name]/[name]Kaylee[/name]/[name]Kylie[/name]/[name]Miley[/name]/[name]Riley[/name] blob than anything else, and I’m not a fan of trendy names so I don’t find it very appealing at all.

I think it’s a cute name it would work regardless if the baby was [name]Asian[/name] or not. Ha ha.
I’d spell it Maylie or Mailey.

Well, I have several different thoughts. First, I’m rather indifferent to the name you picked but I certainly wouldn’t have thought it was an ‘[name]Asian[/name]’ name especially with that spelling.

Second, ‘[name]Asian[/name]’ is far too broad a category for me to say something like a certain name should be on a child that looks ‘[name]Asian[/name]’. [name]Asian[/name] people have quite a broad spectrum of looks.

Thirdly, while there are some names that I feel are just very ethnically tied, in general I’m pick on cross-cultural naming. I love it! But I do think it depends on the name.

Fourth…it’s a consideration for the middle name, a spot which can handle almost anything. First names are more of an issue, but the middle name is so rarely used that I think it should be for whatever you love.

As far as the [name]Asian[/name] thing goes it was on a little Thai girl I learned and as far as I can guess it must be a Thai name? Either way I love the sound of this name and really wondered what people’s thoughts were about it, but now I’m just really curious to how I would spell it. As mentioned before maybe avoiding starting with [name]May[/name]…I saw someone posted Malie and that’s not too bad, but really looking for more options now as well.

Other than [name]Mei[/name]-Li the only thing I can come up with is the Hawaiian name [name]Melia[/name] (may-lee-uh), meaning plumeria. You can call her [name]Meli[/name] (may-lee) for short.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Maelie[/name]? According to NB it means princess and isn’t [name]Asian[/name] at all. Good luck!