Whats a name that has grown on you?

Whats a name that has grown on you that you use to consider unstylish.

For me it would be [name_f]Doris[/name_f], its a name I though could never make a come back but recently I find it adorable and especially with the nicknames [name_f]Dot[/name_f] or [name_f]Dora[/name_f]

4 Likes

[name_f]Hedwig[/name_f], I use to think it was the funniest name in the world, but then I watched [name_f]Hedwig[/name_f] and The Angry Inch and I was like “wait, thats a pretty badass name”

3 Likes

[name_m]Fletcher[/name_m]

3 Likes

Quite a few of my names, actually! I used to think [name_f]Bess[/name_f] and [name_f]Beth[/name_f] were so dreadfully boring and frumpy, but I could now see myself with a daughter [name_f]Bess[/name_f] / [name_f]Beth[/name_f]. For boys, [name_u]Daniel[/name_u] grew on me loads after reading [name_m]Little[/name_m] Men. I used to despise the sound of it, but it’s now my top boy name!

Some others in a similar vein to [name_f]Bess[/name_f] would be [name_u]Jeanne[/name_u], [name_f]Judith[/name_f], [name_u]Anne[/name_u], [name_f]Helen[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f], and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f].

4 Likes

[name_f]Mary[/name_f]

I used to think it was boring, but now I think it’s distinguished. Yes, it was quite popular for centuries, but it hasn’t been in the U.S. top 10 since 1971 and only stands at #136 as of 2022. A little [name_f]Mary[/name_f] would be unique these days.

7 Likes

that’s funny I came here to say that [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] has really grown on me lately, I used to not like it now I think it’s so sweet! nn [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] :heart_eyes:

1 Like

[name_f]Susan[/name_f]. I used to hate it, but now I quite like it. I think the name [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] helped sway my opinion

3 Likes

[name_f]Oona[/name_f] for whatever reason went from hate to love

3 Likes

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]. I went from not being wild about the “daff” sound and it being way too associated with the [name_m]Scooby[/name_m] Doo character to its nice but still too [name_m]Scooby[/name_m] for me personally but I like it for others to a top 5-10 name on my list.
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] is another one that’s been growing on me despite the fact that I used to have a negative association with it but it hasn’t really made my actual list yet.
I used to find [name_f]Anna[/name_f] a bit boring but have been thinking about it more lately and really liking the simplicity.

2 Likes

Quite a few, my taste has changed a lot over the years.

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was definitely [name_f]Mary[/name_f], I used to think of it as overused and too old-fashioned, but now I’ve realized it’s a pretty name and while you do hear it a lot in pop culture, it’s not incredibly common on younger people.
I also changed my opinion on [name_u]Lindsey[/name_u] more recently, I used to find it super boring and to be fair it’s not the most exciting name on earth but now I see it as having a kind of retro charm.

Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment, though I’d say probably most of the names I like now I used to either find boring or dated or overlook entirely. I’d also say there were quite a few that I used to hate with a passion but now feel more neutrally about.

2 Likes

[name_f]Alice[/name_f]! it’s not in my top femme names but ever since I saw @lemonrose’s [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Monet[/name_f] way back, I’ve viewed the name in a different more positive light!

Also [name_f]Helen[/name_f]. [name_f]Helena[/name_f] is a favorite, but I like the simpler [name_f]Helen[/name_f] as well and I’m not positive as to why!

3 Likes

[name_f]Kaia[/name_f] :heart: I thought it was a bit clunky at first and wasn’t sure of it at all, but then I started to love it :person_shrugging:

1 Like

The first one that comes to mind is [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. I used to think it was incredibly boring, but now I can see her charm.

4 Likes

[name_m]Said[/name_m] this the other day on notd but [name_f]Stella[/name_f] has gone from feeling like a boomer name (which it is in the U.K. - it’s not popular on kids here atm) to feeling sparkly and youthful! :sparkles:

1 Like

[name_f]Winifred[/name_f]. This name has grown on me through discussions on here. Now, knowing the history of this name, and finding the nn’s [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] quite adorable, I’ve grown to love it!

1 Like

[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]. Many moons ago, I thought it was the epitome of clunky and outdated. Now I think it’s super chic and cool.

[name_m]Silas[/name_m]. I’ve finally got past my association with the evil monk from The Da [name_m]Vinci[/name_m] Code and now I really appreciate its woodsy, snappy vibe.

3 Likes

Esbjörn, Ambjörn, Styvbjörn. I used to laugh at these names when I came across them in the almanac. I knew plenty of people named [name_m]Björn[/name_m], but adding prefixes sounded silly. Nowadays I like them, especially Esbjörn

[name_u]Spencer[/name_u]. I didn’t grow up with [name_f]English[/name_f] and never heard this name until age 13/14. It felt weird in my mouth at first but now I think it’s pretty. Same with [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I used to think it was just misspelt [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]

Any names with a soft G followed by E or Ö. I used to dislike them as a child purely because I thought they should just be spelled with a J (like [name_m]Jörgen[/name_m], [name_m]Jesper[/name_m], and [name_m]Jens[/name_m] were) to make it consistent. Now I’ve learnt the spellings anyways and I love some of these G names: [name_m]Göran[/name_m], Gösta, Görel, [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f], [name_m]Gerhard[/name_m], [name_f]Gert[/name_f] (this one’s a male name in my native language but I think it’ll turn red when I post), and [name_f]Gerda[/name_f]. I could probably include [name_f]Hjördis[/name_f] in this section too because the name flows beautifully but the H is silent.

Definitely Daphne!! I used to never be able to see the appeal, but now she’s just so sweet and light to me!! I can’t get enough of her vintage charm :sparkles:

2 Likes

Gosh there are tons however the one that has really stood out of recent is

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] ~ honestly I used to really dislike [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] I found her too clunky, too associated with scooby do and I disliked the general sound. However now I find [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] absolutely gorgeous she’s elegant, dignified, strong, a long wonderful history and is very sweet. I have her on my list as an honour for my friend [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] who I lost last year as [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] was one of his favourites. I used to not understand why he liked [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] now I completely get it he was definitely a secret berry with his love for [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] + [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u].

3 Likes

[name_f]Irene[/name_f] :dove::sparkles::womans_hat:

I used to find [name_f]Irene[/name_f] quite frumpy and unattractive, but when I took a closer look I saw how elegant and lovely the name [name_f]Irene[/name_f] is! I would love to me a young [name_f]Irene[/name_f].

5 Likes