What's a spelling/pronunciation of a name that really triggers you?

Okay… I don’t really have a strict BN like this, besides my dead name, which I’m sick of being pronounced wrong. So, well, Hawai’i is still a name, even if it is just a place. iT’s A pRoPeR nOuN. I’m sure that there are babies named that out there somewhere.

It’s spelled HAWAI’I, with an okina, not [name_u]Hawaii[/name_u]. The purpose of the okina is the opposite of an apostrophe: It’s to add another syllable, instead of remove one. If you spell Alaka’i as Alakai, it changes the pronunciation to al-uh-ky (versus al-uh-kah-ee).

And is pronounced huh-VWY-ee, not HAH-wah-YEE like some people say it. Huh-wy-EE & HUH-vy-ee are acceptable, & don’t bother me as much, but still incorrect.

It’s listed in the data base, so it is a name. Anyways, it bothers me when people say [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] as Jor-jay-na.

6 Likes

Names that end with -lee or -leigh that people pronounce like -lay.

Like HAD-lay. Drives me nuts.

2 Likes

When the pronounce [name_f]Mariposa[/name_f] as [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-posa, and not [name_f]Mar[/name_f]-uh-poh-suh

1 Like

Genevieve is [zjahn-vee-ehv] NOT [jen-uh-veev]. Emphasis on first syllable, not the last syllable.

2 Likes

Ayla rhyming with [name_f]Kayla[/name_f].

4 Likes

ESther as opposed to esTHER

And even though I’m in the wrong the pronunciation of [name_f]Isla[/name_f] seriously triggers me. [name_f]My[/name_f] brain cannot process the fact that it’s anything other than ees-lah. I can’t even comment on threads with this name being mentioned.

1 Like

I don’t think that trigger is the right word here as that is more for serious situations related to mental health.
However, I really I’m peeved when [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] is pronounced [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f], instead of with the -line ending. [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] is a name. Use that if you want that pronunciation.

9 Likes

Margot. It’s been mentioned in the forms before but on paper it reminds me of maggot😖 I much prefer [name_f]Margo[/name_f]

1 Like

When [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is pronounced differently from Mad-eh-LEN. When [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] is pronounced WEZ-lee instead of WES-lee.

Lol I prefer some of these pronunciations :grin: (all of my preferences are legitimate pronunciations, I will say).

Abby spelled any way other than [name_u]Abby[/name_u]. [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] and [name_u]Abbie[/name_u] are on the thinnest of ice. [name_u]Abi[/name_u] is below hell tier. Everything else is in the middle.

Basil being pronounced BAY-zuhl

2 Likes

That’s the standard pronunciation of the herb where I live; anything else & you’re definitely foreign. How do you say it?

It’s the standard pronunciation of the herb where I live too, but internationally and in media (especially as a name) it’s pronounced BA-zuhl (with an a sound similar to apple). For example [name_u]Basil[/name_u] from [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u], [name_u]Basil[/name_u] from Fawlty [name_m]Towers[/name_m], etc.

1 Like

I know a baby [name_f]Margot[/name_f]; I can’t stop think mar-git.

Oof. Thanks?

Definitely never using that one.

I find [name_f]Clara[/name_f] sounds really nasally when said as [name_f]Claire[/name_f]-uh as opposed to Clah-ruh. I also can’t stand the one-syllable gram pronunciation of [name_m]Graham[/name_m] for some reason, it’s gray-um all the way for me.

5 Likes

Lol and clar-uh sounds harsh to me, like “claw”. I’ve only ever said [name_u]Clair[/name_u]-uh.

3 Likes

People pronouncing [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] incorrectly. It’s eh-LOWEN not Ello-wen.

2 Likes

I came here to say just this!

1 Like