What's going on here?

I posted this in the games section, but it’s worthy of being posted here, too:

Nameberry is not like other forums. Nameberry has class, style, intelligence, and maturity. During the past few days, this site has been overtaken by appallingly rude and confrontational posts, and disgusting name games which glorify teen pregnancy and teen marriage.

In addition to this, newer members have been playing games without first reading the extremely easy to comprehend rules. Not only is this lazy, but it ruins the games for the people who take the time to follow the rules.

Such posts may be commonplace on other name sites, but they are not appropriate for nameberry.

Nameberry is the brainchild of [name]Pamela[/name] [name]Redmond[/name] Satran and [name]Linda[/name] Rosenkrantz, two gifted authors and internationally respected name experts who have written many books dedicated to guiding people away from trendy, overused names, and toward stylish ones. They have created an intelligent and sophisticated site, and such immature posts are in direct contrast to everything for which Nameberry stands.

If you are in love with trendy names, please don’t be surprised when those who are informed about names try to kindly enlighten you and direct you toward a more substantial name. If you prefer misspelled names, please don’t be surprised when people who are informed about names (yes, there is actually an entire branch of study dedicated to naming and names) try to redirect your choice.

Whereas many name sites and books simply provide you with meanings and origins of names, [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]'s books and site are unique, in that they advocate honesty when it comes to style. (One of their books is titled, “Beyond [name]Jennifer[/name] and [name]Jason[/name], [name]Madison[/name] and [name]Montana[/name].”) You need to pick the name that’s right for you, but it’s a good idea to get a feel for a message board’s prevailing style before posting.

Nameberry has always been an intelligent, classy, and tranquil site, and these new posts and behaviors are disgusting. Please grow up.

Thank you, [name]Jill[/name], for speaking my mind (and probably several others), and standing up for Nameberry, its users, and what they stand for.

You’re very welcome, Momma. :slight_smile: What’s been happening here is beyond sad.

Yes. Yes, it is very sad. You can call me [name]Vivian[/name], if you’d like. Off to start a [name]Jill[/name] fan club…

Let’s make it a Nameberry fan club, as I’d hate to see this site lose its dignity and appeal. :slight_smile: Nameberry is special, and I hope it stays that way. ([name]Vivian[/name], by the way, is an amazing name!) People are obviously posting before searching the site or absorbing the fact that Nameberry is quite unique in its tone and mission.

I love nameberry and have missed the drama, I love the books, I would have them all but I’m in NZ and would be very expensive to get them over here. I am inspired by you both to write my own baby name book.

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Butterfly[/name]. I love their books, too! It’s a shame that recent behavior and posts have really been degrading the site.

[name]Jill[/name]- and everyone else—I can’t tell you how much [name]Pam[/name] and I appreciate your efforts and kind words!!!

You’re so, so welcome, [name]Linda[/name] (and [name]Pam[/name]). Your books have brought me and others so much happiness. I was given your Beyond [name]Jennifer[/name], [name]Jason[/name], [name]Madison[/name], and [name]Montana[/name] book when I was a teenager, and I’m looking forward to the Beyond [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Aiden[/name] book, too.

This site is truly amazing, and I know that we won’t stand for its degradation! (Not on our watch!) :slight_smile: Nope. Not gonna happen!

I’m not sure if you’ll check back and read this, but I was thinking that perhaps Nameberry’s title could contain some more words, so that people will be clued into Nameberry’s uniqueness. “Nameberry: Beyond [name]Madison[/name] and [name]Addison[/name],” for example, comes to mind. [name]Just[/name] any little add-on that sets Nameberry apart from the rest. [name]Just[/name] as the titles of your books let people know that they’re not just any ordinary baby name books, I was thinking that the name of your site could do the same.

When I saw that you’d posted on this thread, my first thought was, “Oh no! I’m in trouble!” :slight_smile: Thank you for understanding my/our intentions and our appreciation for this site!

Thanks again, so much. We really struggled over the headline at the top, which is essentially a sub-title, and thought we had gotten the point across with the words ‘unique’ and ‘experts’–that this was a different kind of baby name site, and also that people would discover that for themselves as they browsed through it. I guess there will always be some people who just don’t get it–but maybe you scared them away!
For the new A&A book, we’ve gone back to the words ‘enlightened guide’.

[name]Linda[/name], until you mentioned it, I never noticed the subtitle you have listed across the top of the page! I don’t know if it’s the color, or simply that my eyes go right to the bright nameberry logo, but I honestly never saw the words until you mentioned them! (Maybe I’m not the only one?)

It’s possible that people are seeing the subtitle, but not understanding [name]HOW[/name] the site is unique, because they aren’t utilizing the resources. People flip through books before buying them, but I guess the same thing doesn’t apply to web sites.

The game board is still taking a bit of a hit, but it does seem as though things have definitely calmed down in terms of posts that, um, don’t belong here. :slight_smile: Phew!