What's the best way to end a friendship with someone?

There doesn’t seem to be a right way to do it. [name_f]Every[/name_f] time I’ve tried to end a friendship with someone, it ends badly and they get hurt which isn’t what I wanted for them. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister told me that when she grows out of a friendship, she just stops talking to the person, but that doesn’t work for me. I always end up having to tell them that I no longer wish to be friends and they get really upset.

Sometimes I no longer wish to be friends because I don’t like the way the person is treating me, but I don’t want to tell them because I don’t want to risk them getting super mad at me and other times, I actually think the person is nice, but I just grew out of the friendship. No matter the reason for not wanting to be friends any more, I can’t find a right way to end things.

I told one of them that I still think they are really nice and that we can talk to each other when we see each other, but every time we see each other in public, she asks me if I want to be friends again and I don’t know what to say because I don’t want to hurt her.

Distancing myself from people doesn’t work either.

Perhaps a better strategy would be to not befriend people too quickly? Perhaps, by the way, it is worth getting a psychological consultation. [name_m]Just[/name_m] in case it worries you.

1 Like

I think it is going to be impossible to hurt someone else’s feelings because it is a painful situation, no matter what. It can also stir up feelings of rejection, not being good enough, grief, “what did I do?”, etc. I don’t say that to guilt you but it isn’t going to be a clean break, even for friendships where you drift apart.

1 Like