What's the consensus about Blythe?

is it headed up the charts to become the next [name]Brooke[/name] or [name]Blair[/name]? Is it being marginally rediscovered as a mn but will remain uncommon? Or is it one of those names that just seems popular on Nameberry?

I think it just seems popular on Nameberry. Honestly, I’ve never really been familiar with it as a name besides on here. I guess I could see it becoming more common as a middle.

I can’t see [name]Blythe[/name] becoming popular, definitely can’t see it becoming trendy like [name]Brooke[/name] or [name]Bella[/name]. Sure, it might gain ground in middle name position but it’s hardly the next [name]Rose[/name] or [name]Grace[/name]. I’m fairly certain it’s a NB thing.

• anon.

To be honest i am inclined to agree. I can’t see it becoming popular in the near future.

Personally i don’t like it. I don’t think it is very feminine sounding at all.

I know of one little girl named [name]Blythe[/name] shes about 6 years old. I love the name and am definitely using it for a mn if not a fn. With virtue names becoming more popular it might show up more but I doubt it will ever be really big.

I can’t see [name]Blythe[/name] becoming popular. (Then again, I did’t know [name]Blair[/name] was ever a big hit, either.) I’ve only known one [name]Blythe[/name], and that was maybe twenty years ago. I love the name and would use it if my husband weren’t so opposed.

It’s funny how spending time on Nameberry can give you a false perception of a name’s popularity. I was just thinking that I’d love to use the name Immogen if it weren’t so widely used. Then I remembered that I’d never met or heard of an Immogen in my life.

I love the name [name]Blythe[/name]. It’s simple, sweet and has a nice meaning. I don’t see it becoming popular anytime soon (or ever, really) for a few reasons. One is that it is only one syllable and virtually nicknameless, and most names that rise in popularity are longer and more flexible. Secondly, between the first letter being “B” (versus a more popular vowel) and the “th” sound being prominent, it doesn’t have any of the sounds that are popular right now (heavy "ll"s, lots of vowels, “ay” sound, etc). But it’s a lovely name and I do think it pops up on Nameberry because it’s unusual, pretty and undiscovered. It works really nicely in the middle because it’s one syllable and flows nicely with lots of names. [name]Hope[/name] that helps!

I get confused as to what is really popular compared to what is a “berrytastic” name.

[name]Lemon[/name] suggested [name]Blythe[/name] to me and I adore it. It is simple. Fresh. Vintage. It is a strong yet feminine name that has history and a connection with the virtue family of names. I do not think you can go wrong with [name]Blythe[/name]!

So [name]Blythe[/name] isn’t going to become too popular!?! Cool! Great name!

Does this mean [name]Isla[/name] isn’t headed for Top Ten fame and ten years from now every ten year old you meet isn’t going to be named [name]Ruby[/name]?

I like all these ideas.

Sweet. Y’all are telling me what I want to hear! I myself doubt that it will become too popular because it’s one syllable, with heavy consonants and only one vowel. It doesn’t seem to follow most trends right now, except I know that names with the long ‘I’ sound are predicted to rise. As someone on another post said, it’s not a “pretty” name, which seems to be the main criteria for many popular names today, ie. [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], etc.
As to the popularity or [name]Blair[/name], I have known quite a few (including one boy, and one new baby girl). I think it may be more popular in the South.
Anyway, my perception was starting to be skewed by the amount of times [name]Blythe[/name] comes up on Nameberry, so I needed to reset my compass. Thanks, berries!

I’m confused. Are you scoffing at me for trying to predict a name’s future popularity? =)
I agree, it is a bit silly, and always a crapshoot, and one celebrity baby can send a previously unheard of name to the top of the charts, but there are certain predictors you can factor in. As PPs said, one-syllable names aren’t as popular, heavy consonants aren’t as popular, and most hot names today start begin and end in vowels.
I have always liked it when some people hate my chosen name. [name]Phoebe[/name], my first daughter’s name is very polarizing on this site. It gets suggested a lot, but it also pops up on “most hated names” lists very regularly. To me, that says that there are inherent factors that will keep [name]Phoebe[/name] out of the top 10. The problem with [name]Isla[/name] is that I have NEVER heard anyone say they don’t like the name. It’s pretty, vowel-y, and its one consonant is the lovely ‘L.’ Basically, if someone invented a name that would sound pitch-perfect to modern ears, it would be [name]Isla[/name]. As for [name]Ruby[/name], it’s a name that once had popularity, and is a little name ending in -y, of which some variation is always popular. So [name]Ruby[/name]'s rotation was up.

I have a tough time with this name, I feel like I am lisping when I say it (if I am in fact pronouncing it correctly). I actually don’t think it is a name that is going to get overly popular though.