What's the name you loved that someone else used and you went aughhh inside?

When we were expecting our 3rd baby las year, before we found out what we were having, we talked a lot about names. For girls we couldn’t agree on really any we both liked, except [name]Reese[/name]. It was in the top 2 names for both of us. We never told anyone. We hadour baby (a boy) in [name]August[/name] and never got to use that name. 2.5 months later my sil had a girl she named [name]Reese[/name]. When I heard that my heart sank (as though I had any claim on the name). I still had it in mind in case we ever had a 4th. It made me realize how much I really liked the name once I knew I could no longer use it.

Does anyone have any names/stories like this?

One of my friends from college named his daughter [name]Luella[/name]. Beautiful name! I thought I was one of few who loved this name that much. I would have used [name]Lucy[/name] as a nn… oh well. I am glad someone used it because it is so uncommon and beautiful and there is never a guarentee that I’d have used it anyway… but I do know how you feel :slight_smile:

I have to admit, I was a little annoyed when my cousins wife used my Grandmother’s name as a middle name for her daughter, It is my middle name and so I could have used it for my daughter’s middle name and kind of passed it down the line so to speak. It should not bug me. I mean it’s this little girl’s great-grandma’s name too, just like it would have been for my girls, but I it still bugged me a little, silly I know. I ended up having 3 girls and using 3 other lovely middle names all named after important family members.

My cousins keep doing that to me.

[name]Benjamin[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Lila[/name], and [name]Leila[/name] have all been on my top 10 in the past… My cousins named their two children [name]Benjamin[/name] and [name]Emma[/name], and I have a more distant cousin with a [name]Lyla[/name]. I just don’t feel right using them anymore.

There was also a girl who goes to my church who had a daughter almost two years ago and named her [name]Willow[/name] [name]Reese[/name]. At the time, [name]Willow[/name] was in my top 2. I think that one affected me more than my cousins, lol.

My number one baby name for when I have kids was [name]Vivienne[/name] Marcelline…until [name]Brad[/name] [name]Pitt[/name] and [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Jolie[/name] used Vivenne [name]Marcheline[/name] :frowning: but its a good name!

Technically, I guess I could use it but it would seem a little weird like I named my kid after a celebs baby assuming I ever have a daughter.