what's with...

the sudden influx of annoying new people?

Edited to [name]Add[/name]:
Please note, this was written [name]March[/name] 15 when we had a problem with a lot of very rude posters. If you are not among that specific group of people, I’m not referring to you. So please don’t be offended by this. I love new people!

[name]Don[/name]'t know but I hope it settles down to normal soon. I’m all for new blood, don’t get me wrong. I just prefer less confrontational folks. My goodness, how hard is it to look around before you post? Like I’d never go to babynames.com and post, they’d hate me there! [name]Josephine[/name] might go over well there but [name]Eulalie[/name]? [name]Lucretia[/name]? [name]Winifred[/name]? Not a chance in heck. Nevermind [name]Rufus[/name] or [name]Cosmo[/name]!

LOL! [name]Lyndsay[/name], you took the words right out of my mouth! It’s like a bad dream! I’m seeing things that are searing my retinas. I know that Nameberry posted on Celebrity [name]Baby[/name] Blog the other day, so that’s my best guess as to where people discovered the site.

I, too, am hoping it dies down, as Nameberry and its posters have always been different from the rest. Nameberry’s posters have always communicated in a mature, adult manner, free from confrontation and hostility, and I hope the site can retain its dignity. :frowning:

I am new to posting here and I just have to say that I am a little hurt by this topic calling those of us who are new “annoying”.

I agree that there have been a few overly confrontational posts this week, but this entire topic could also be seen as such. Sorry, not trying to confront you but I felt I had to say something since it really bummed me out. All morning I have been thinking about what a great site this is and how I look forward to posting my own list of favs once I am comfortable sharing with this group, and I feel a little as though the wind has been let out of my sails by this post.

[name]Erin[/name], I’m sorry your feelings have been hurt. I’m certain [name]Lynsday[/name], [name]Lola[/name], and I weren’t referring to you, but rather to the unfortunate behavior recent new posters have been displaying. Nameberry has always been a peaceful, classy, tranquil place, and that tranquility has recently taken a beating. It’s been rather unsettling, to say the least.

[name]Do[/name] you recall the rude teenager you wonderfully posted to the other day? Well, that’s just one example. Until recently, no poster has ever required disciplinary action, and it’s just sad. (And thank you for what you said. [name]Lola[/name], you, too.) Also, this site has historically been free of confrontation. Those types of rude posts are seen on other boards, but not Nameberry, and it was pretty shocking to see it here.

Like [name]Lola[/name] (and I’m sure, [name]Lyndsay[/name]), I’m always open to new posters (just as the regular posters welcomed me when I began posting), and I think it’s wonderful to have new blood. What I don’t find wonderful, are confrontational, rude, or immature people, as they really drag down the site and its posters.

Granted, a post like this one has the potential to be hurtful (and was, unfortunately, hurtful to you), but in this case, I think it’s important that [name]Lynsday[/name] brought out into the open what many longtime posters were undoubtedly thinking. I think it’s important that potentially confontational posters understand that this board is not like the rest, and that they don’t have a license to be rude or to disrupt the peace. If this thread didn’t serve as a message for such posters, I wouldn’t have contributed to it.

As far as I know, this board doesn’t have rules for conduct (or moderators), and it’s sad that such formalities now have an immediate relevance. Like you, people who wouldn’t dream of posting anywhere else post here, but the recent behavior displayed puts a damper on things, and may cause people to think twice.

You have been lovely, [name]Erin[/name], and Nameberry is lucky to have you. I (and everyone else) look forward to hearing your favorite names! :slight_smile: [name]Welcome[/name]!

Thanks [name]Jill[/name]. I appreciate your welcome! And I agree that this board does seem to have an elevated level of maturity and respect. I also hope that can continue as the site gains popularity.

I am sure you all feel the same way so this will be preaching to the choir some, but for me, it is important to have a safe place to share and ask for opinions on potential names. I do not feel comfortable testing out names with my family for fear that they will react negatively to a name as I have seen happen before. When your mother tells you she hates a name, that will have a much stronger influence than if someone on a board might have a different but polite suggestion.

As much as I would like to talk with my family about potential names, I have seen other cousins do so and get hurt and not use names because of family reactions. For whatever reason people think that if your child is not born yet, they have more license to say negative things about the name you are thinking of, even though you might be very emotionally attached to a certain name. Once the baby is born and named its like the unwritten rule that then everyone is polite and no one says anything if they don’t like the name. Well truthfully it is a little important that my family likes the name, but it is MUCH more important to me that my husband and I feel that we have given our child a name we will love and and hope he or she will love in the future.

I guess I am just feeling a little sensitive so please forgive my book of a post! I look forward to exploring new names and combinations with you and again thanks for the thoughtful welcome in response to my post above.

[name]Don[/name]'t worry Erinpurple, you are cool and so very welcome! [name]Hope[/name] you are here to stay! It’s not unfortunate when people are new; it’s unfortunate when they are confrontational and seem very uninformed.
I felt so bad for you this week, Jilleelah! That is a fun nickname for you just this one time. Tried to throw in some humorous names. [name]Don[/name]'t think it worked. But it was lots of fun and made me giggle a lot. [name]Hope[/name] you giggled, too!
The last week and a half as I said before were so stressful. My mother-in-law broke her back, was in horrifying pain, had to go to the hospital, had back surgery, no longer was in pain thank God, and then went to a convalescent home. I have been busier than a one-armed paper hanger. My husband has been even busier than me. Plus my mother-in-law has the appearance and personality of Jabba the Hutt. Sooo, thanks, Nameberry. [name]Even[/name] the rude posters have given me a wonderful diversion. So thank you rude posters with all my heart. You are not rude compared to Jabba [name]Junior[/name]. Off to see Jabba [name]Junior[/name] now.

LOL, [name]Susan[/name]! :slight_smile: You may call me by any nickname you choose. :slight_smile: Oddly, I’ve never really been called [name]Jill[/name]. I’ve been Jillybean, Bean, etc., my entire life. It started out as Bean, but that made me cry, so Bean morphed into the sweeter Jillybean. :slight_smile: I’ve even been called [name]Jillian[/name], which isn’t even my name. It saddens me to no end that my name was chosen over [name]Julia[/name], but I guess I’ll live. :slight_smile: [name]Even[/name] though my posts appear to be very serious, I’m actually a very funny, lighthearted person who appreciates a good nickname. So, Jilleelah thanks you. :slight_smile:

Thank you also, [name]Susan[/name], for showing compassion regarding my, uh, difficult time here recently. I was pretty stunned, but I’ve moved on. :slight_smile: What’s surprises me, isn’t that people are uninformed, but that they resist becoming informed. Nameberry is about more than just name origins: it’s about speaking the truth when it comes to style!

Now, more importantly, I’m so sorry to hear about your mother in law, [name]Susan[/name]. I can only imagine the stressful week you’ve had, and am glad things are settling down for you. Jabba the Hut…he he. :slight_smile:

[name]Erin[/name], I hear what you’re saying about names, and I so hope that Nameberry can retain its integrity as it grows in popularity. I wish people had to read about Nameberry’s mission (to tell the truth, to supply more than just name meanings, to gently guide people away from trendy names, to provide a mature forum, etc.) prior to posting.

You’re safe here, [name]Erin[/name], and I can’t wait to hear your names. (You have nothing for which to apologize, by the way, and I’m glad you spoke up.) :slight_smile:

Haha, I have been wondering that too! [name]Erin[/name], I can assure you that you are not annoying! Posters who do not read the directions before participating in the name games, now that is annoying. Especially when you play over 20 of the games. And mess them all up. I have refrained from correcting people because a.) if they don’t care enough to read the simple directions in the first place, I doubt that they will care about correcting themselves, and b.) I am afraid that if I say something, I will end up using use my not-so-nice grown up words. So [name]Jill[/name], I commend you for attempting to correct people! It made me laugh, especially when you said something along the lines of ‘I know the directions may seem confusing, but to recap…’

And have you guys noticed that all of them like the sames names? I know that most of us at Nameberry have a similar taste, but all of them are rather trendy. So, they all show up at the same time, and they all like the same names…hmmm?

I hope that things will remain somewhat the same! Anywho, I completely welcome new posters, just not obnoxious ignorant ones. :slight_smile:

Overwhelmed,

I entered the fetal position, found my happy place, took some deep breaths, and while humming “I believe the children are our future…,” did what I had to do. :- )

But seriously, it would be such a shame if this board became a carbon copy of other sites that cater to trendy names and confrontation. :frowning: [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] wrote books (Beyond [name]Jennifer[/name] and [name]Jason[/name], [name]Madison[/name] and [name]Montana[/name] comes to mind) specifically geared toward educating people about stylish, non-trendy names, so the irony is pretty thick here.

It’s sad that people of late haven’t seemed to appreciate Nameberry for the unique site it is, or respect the expertise behind its creation and premise.

Maybe the site should be called Nameberry: Beyond [name]Madison[/name] and [name]Addison[/name], to give prospective posters a heads up.

I do feel a bit like our boards have been hijacked… the Nameberry site was a place I could escape to and chill out with like-minded folks. Then [name]Edouard[/name] & I went out of town for the weekend and I come back to… angst and stress. I hope things will settle down a bit. My favorite thing about Nameberry is that it’s the only site where I can confess my deep, abiding love for the name [name]Ernestine[/name] without being mocked into oblivion! :wink:

I want somebody to play my Aliens namegame. The new Yahoo namegames are so ugly and boring. But mine has pretty colors in it, at least. And the couple is married.
I love the way [name]Melissa[/name] can say she loves [name]Ernestine[/name]. And I can say I love [name]Maurice[/name]!

I’ll play it, [name]Susan[/name]. I’m busy posting to people, requesting that they please refrain from glorifying teen pregnancy and teen marriage. My first post is up already. Nameberry is being taken over…

I will play too! [name]Just[/name] as soon as I help [name]Jill[/name]! (By the way, I cracked up when I read your post, [name]Susan[/name]!) Your hilarious!

I posted it on the game board, and in the main name section. This is just getting ridiculous, and I had to say something. I posted a different version on the main page, by the way, and have to type it again elsewhere (I can’t cut and paste on nameberry). Ugh.

I played it, [name]Susan[/name]! Thanks for the laugh! :slight_smile:

yikes, i started this topic and haven’t been involved in the conversation… sorry!

[name]Erin[/name], I’m so sorry you thought even for a second that I was in any way referring to you! You are absolutely welcome here! I was only talking about all the people who appeared a couple days ago, mainly in the game forum.

I think there is a place for the people who like trendy names. I mean, they need to realize where they are posting and they should expect the comments on those names to be less than positive. However, I have no issue with them posting here as long as they are respectful (like everyone has been until recently!). I think [name]Jill[/name] has done a great job dealing with this. We need a moderator! I nominate [name]Jill[/name]!

I think that those people in the name forum might have known each other previously, since one of the posts said “it’s me tom”. I hope they leave soon!

I’ll play your game, [name]Susan[/name]!

Lyndsday, I completely agree with you about trendy names. If people were more aware of the fact that Nameberry is different, and its authors like to suggest alternatives to trendy names, perhaps people wouldn’t be so shocked by the gentle critiques, you know?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, by the way! I despise confrontation, so I’m pretty surprised that I posted what I did. I woke up this morning and thought, “Did I really do that?” :slight_smile: The teen pregnancy stuff just crossed the line. Ugh.

You don’t go into a lovely, innovative restaurant, ignore the brilliant menu, and instead whip out a Spam sandwich and Cheetos from a brown paper bag. You don’t disturb the other diners by banging on pots and pans and putting your feet on the table, and you cetainly don’t disrespect the restaurant’s owners by vandalizing the walls with graffiti! Yeesh!

I can’t thank you enough for having had the guts to begin this thread, [name]Lyndsay[/name]. I hope baby [name]Dash[/name] is doing well! :slight_smile:

I think we all know who the most egregious offender is. I vote for ingoring any and everything submitted by this particular poster. As if they are invisible…

I second that motion! :slight_smile: