what's wrong with Donovan?

The name is getting a prety negative reaction on my babynames.com list voting, and I’m just curious what people don’t like.

I’m thick skinned, so while tact is always a good thing, honesty is as well in this case, I won’t be bothered.

I just think it’s so handsome but that seems unshared - although I’m wondering if it’s the middles I have it paired with?

Thanks!

Sounds like Caravan and reminds me of old people and zipper shoes, a man with no sense of humor and 1987. Also the nick names are not very sophisticated … [name]Don[/name] (brand of ham in australia), [name]Donnie[/name] who is too feminine.

I think it’s okay, a bit long though. Imagining a little boy with it I don’t really think it’s a great name, but still okay.

There’s nothing at all wrong with it! I love it. Then again, I’m probably biased because it’s my husband’s name lol No one has ever called him [name]Don[/name] or [name]Donnie[/name]. He just goes by [name]Donovan[/name]. And he grew up with it fine, no one ever thought it was unusual.

I like [name]Donovan[/name]. I wouldn’t use [name]Don[/name] or [name]Donnie[/name], as those seem old manish, but I think [name]Van[/name] is adorable for a little boy! I have a little boy named [name]Van[/name] in my daycare. I think it’s strong and handsome on a grown mane, and [name]Van[/name] makes it good for a little boy. The problem i have is with your combo. I think [name]Ray[/name] makes it just sound old to me. [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Ray[/name] sounds like a grandfather to me. I think maybe it just needs a bit more jazz.

I find [name]Donovan[/name] very dated. I just don’t think it is a very attractive name.

I love [name]Donovan[/name]! Only ever met one in my life but he was a cutie. [name]Van[/name] is gorgeous nicknme too.

I’m not keen on the middle name [name]Ray[/name] - would prefer something like [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Shay[/name], [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Gray[/name] as [name]Ray[/name] seems old fashioned to me.

I love [name]Donovan[/name]! I think it is a wonderful name. I love all the NNs as well. [name]Van[/name] is my favorite but I still like [name]Don[/name] and [name]Donnie[/name] as well. [name]Ray[/name] as the MN does seem a little boring to me. I prefer the [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Henry[/name] option that you have listed! I think [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Henry[/name] is a GREAT name!

I quite like [name]Donovan[/name], actually. The nns [name]Don[/name]/[name]Donnie[/name]/etc don’t bother me. I think [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Henry[/name] is a fantastic combo though. Not as keen on [name]Ray[/name] though.

I love [name]Donovan[/name]! I find that when I see it with a list of other names, I usually like others better, but I really do like [name]Donovan[/name] a lot. I was into the TV show Numb3rs a few years ago, and while the [name]Donny[/name] on that show wasn’t a [name]Donovan[/name], I still thought [name]Donnie[/name] was pretty cute, dated though it may be now. I am honestly not a fan of [name]Van[/name] as a nn, but I do love [name]Donovan[/name], and I like [name]Donnie[/name]/[name]Donny[/name]! I probably like it so much because it reminds me of my brother, who is [name]John[/name] nn [name]Johnny[/name]. :slight_smile:

I agree with the others that I’m not terribly wowed by [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Ray[/name], but I love [name]Donovan[/name] enough that had I voted on your list, I probably would have given it a thumbs up. :slight_smile: I like the idea of [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Miles[/name] or [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Peter[/name]–I don’t know if those appeal to you…

I think its a great name!

I like [name]Donovan[/name] a lot! I think it’s adorable for a little boy and handsome for a man. A name that ages well! I’m not a fan of [name]Ray[/name] as a middle name. I think the suggestion by sheflieswithherownwings of [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Gray[/name] sounds much more appealing.

I am a huge fan of [name]Donovan[/name] nn [name]Van[/name]. It’s a great name!

Thanks so much all!

[name]Ray[/name] and [name]Robert[/name] were kind of to stick with a family initial thing going on, but maybe I can be flexible on that. I really like the suggestion of [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Gray[/name]! [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Miles[/name] and [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Peter[/name] are good too, and [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Henry[/name] is getting a better response, sure enough.

In terms of R names, I like [name]Raphael[/name], which is fresher than [name]Ray[/name] or [name]Robert[/name], but [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Raphael[/name] seems really long to me and I don’t think it meshes well.

Other R names I should consider?

I wondered if [name]Don[/name] would date it because of [name]Donald[/name], looks like somewhat. I have known a younger [name]Don[/name] so that seems a little fresher to me.

I love that someone has [name]Donovan[/name] pinned to 1987 - how specific : D!

I think if I used it he would go mostly by the full name, but maybe sometimes [name]Don[/name]. [name]Van[/name] is growing on me however after reading the feedback here!

Thanks again!

I really like [name]Donovan[/name]! I think of the singer, so it gives me a 60s folky/hippie/and for some reason surfer kind of vibe. Like a lot of other posters, I’m not a fan of [name]Don[/name] or [name]Donnie[/name], but I do think [name]Van[/name] is cool.

Here’s some more R middle names for you. I think they all spice [name]Donovan[/name] up a bit:

[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Reed[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Rhys[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Rex[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Rhett[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Roarke[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Radley[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Rainer[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Ramsey[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Ransom[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Regis[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Remy[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Ridley[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]River[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Roman[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Rory[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Rafferty[/name]

Other one syllable names that don’t start with R:

[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Ash[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Beau[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Boone[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Chance[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Cole[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Fox[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Gage[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Graham[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Hawk[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Jude[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Scott[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Tate[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Todd[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]West[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Zane[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Zeke[/name]

Thanks abbeyroad and dantea! [name]Ah[/name] yes, I remember learning about the singer a while back and had forgotten since!

Wow, I don’t know why some of these great R names didn’t come to my brain! Really like [name]Reed[/name] (because we’re bookworms - how nerdy : D), [name]Rhys[/name] (part Welsh and husband has actually mentioned liking this name, which he often doesn’t comment on), [name]Rainer[/name] (like Rilke!), [name]Ransom[/name] (great religious imagery there for my case), and [name]Roman[/name] (although I’m not sure about the matching n endings and the connection to Polanski).

Thanks! : D! [name]May[/name] add a few options to the voting list at some point.

I like [name]Donovan[/name] also. And I like [name]Donnie[/name] as a nickname. I grew up with a [name]Donnie[/name], who was a cool kid. And also [name]Donnie[/name] Wahlburg from NKOTB, he was a badass in his day, lol.

I love [name]Donovan[/name]! I think it’s fairly unique, which I’m all about, and I think [name]Van[/name] is a really cute nn for it. People may be more used to it as a last name and that’s why they aren’t voting for it? I honestly don’t know. I saw in your signature that you have it paired with [name]Henry[/name], which I think is cute as well.

I know a [name]Donovan[/name], I think its a very nice name but it is sort of 70s, I would use it though if I loved it.