What's wrong with...

…[name_u]Aiden[/name_u]? I mean, popularity isn’t that big a factor, is it? What’s so terrible about this name? :slight_smile:

There’s nothing wrong with [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]; it’s quite a nice name that I might like if I didn’t know personally 7 [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]/[name_u]Aidan[/name_u]/[name_u]Aydan[/name_u]'s, 4 [name_u]Jayden[/name_u]'s and 2 [name_u]Kayden[/name_u]'s plus a Braidan or two.

It’s such a repeated sound that it’s so bland to my ears.

The original form is [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] and [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] was originally just a creative spelling of it. It’s now seen as overly trendy, having spawned variants such as [name_u]Jayden[/name_u], [name_u]Hayden[/name_u], and [name_u]Kayden[/name_u] (the three big ones) and [name_m]Tayden[/name_m], [name_m]Rayden[/name_m], Grayden, Slayden, [name_u]Payden[/name_u], and [name_m]Zayden[/name_m] (among others).

• aden names make up a large portion of names every year and to most namers, the trend feels overdone.

It’s actually a very nice name and I don’t see anything wrong with it at all - I don’t really like the [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] spelling though, [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] looks a lot better to me.

I’m going to say something and try not to come across as offensive! :slight_smile:
Where I’m from, [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] and especially it’s variants, have been mostly seen in the low socio-economic groups. Again, this isn’t meant to be offensive to anyone, it’s just an observation. It may be different in other areas, but it’s certainly the case in this area.

I do not see anything wrong with the name [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] and it is definitely not terrible. I also really like [name_m]Caden[/name_m]. I think the general population does not take issue of the “aden” names, it is mostly people on baby name forums. People on baby name forums can be very vocal about their opinions and for the most part I appreciate these opinions. The issue is some seem to think their opinions are rules, rules that everyone should follow. There are some very nice “aden” names. If you love [name_u]Aidan[/name_u], use [name_u]Aidan[/name_u]. [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] is a strong, handsome name.

Well the problem for me is the complete flooding of the market. There were 3 [name_u]Aidan[/name_u]'s in my sons [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] school class last year. Maybe only 10 kids in the class. [name_f]Every[/name_f] time you are in a group of kids you will hear the name at least once. I’m just tired of hearing it.

[name_u]Aidan[/name_u] is fine, it just has spawned so many variations in spelling and different beginnings (kayden, [name_u]Jayden[/name_u], [name_m]Zayden[/name_m], [name_m]Rayden[/name_m]) that it seems overused and trendy!

It’s totally a personal choice. [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]/[name_u]Aidan[/name_u] is a great name. That’s why so many parents pick it. I was born toward the beginning of the [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] fad and being a [name_f]Caitie[/name_f]/[name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] in a sea of [name_f]Kate[/name_f]/[name_f]Katie[/name_f]/[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]/Katelyns felt like having ALL those girls with such similar names was just another way I was forgettable. Perhaps I would see [name_u]Aidan[/name_u](my older brother’s name) as more usable if it weren’t also accompanied by a team of [name_m]Braden[/name_m]/[name_m]Caden[/name_m]/[name_u]Hayden[/name_u]/Jadens. In my mom’s defense, she found the name [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] in a baby book and had never heard the name on anyone before. [name_m]How[/name_m] could she have known millions of other parents would see the same name and think the same thing? I know there was a time when every girl was named [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] so why should it matter? It shouldn’t really… but I know that for me, being named as part of a fad has made me pay special attention to name trends and adjust my list accordingly.

I think that everyone would just like to hear something less trendy and popular. It will become very dated once everyone has tired of it, which is something to consider with very popular non-classics. What about [name_m]Aldous[/name_m], [name_u]Alden[/name_u], Alder, [name_m]Alister[/name_m] or [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]?

This has been what I have seen also. On two separate continents as well.

What’s wrong with [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]? Well, firstly it’s spelled incorrectly. The saint’s name was [name_u]Aidan[/name_u]. Second, the name has become the “poster child” for two popular sounds that are currently all the rage (ay and n). It’s a shame that a saint’s name has become so trendy but [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] has everything the modern parent seems to like: it’s Irish, it ends in “n” and it rhymes with all the rest of the gang ([name_u]Jayden[/name_u], [name_u]Braeden[/name_u], [name_m]Caden[/name_m] etc…). If we add up all of these names together, I bet it would knock [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] off the top of his perch.

[name_u]Aiden[/name_u] was a favourite of mine when I was younger, after a footballer. I wasn’t put off using it because of the popularity of it as I judge popularity on how many people I know with the name and how many times I have heard of people with the name. I only know one [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] who is eighteen or nineteen and one [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] who is about five and I have probably heard it in the supermarket twice. The reason it’s not on my list is because I have too many names already the end in N so they sound silly together. I was actually going to be called [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]/[name_u]Aiden[/name_u] (not sure which one) if I was a boy.

I was quite a big fan of [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] about 7 or 8 years ago, long before I was married. If the massive popularity of it hadn’t shook me off it, my cousin used it for her son so those were the two nails that sealed the coffin for me. I still like it, but as everyone says, it is completely oversaturated…

Yeah the hate on the name is it’s popularity and the fact that it spawned a huge number of sound alikes. [name_m]Said[/name_m] together the whole thing kind of sounds ridiculous. [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]/[name_u]Kayden[/name_u]/[name_u]Brayden[/name_u]/[name_m]Zayden[/name_m] etc…I think most people would like the name more if not for that. I use to love [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] before it pretty much got ruined for me for the above reason.

I have a nephew named [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] and so that has endeared it to me. I do like that the -dan version make [name_u]Danny[/name_u] more possible as a nn

I know someone called [name_u]Aidan[/name_u], and personally it’s only that original spelling that I like. Putting random letters at the beginning is what I don’t like, plus I really don’t want all these variations tainting the original.

There is nothing wrong with the name [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] other than it’s alarming surge of popularity, and it’s many spin off names. I personally know 4 Aidans (spelled [name_u]Aidan[/name_u], [name_u]Ayden[/name_u], and Aidenx2), 3 Braydens (two girls and a boy), 1 [name_u]Jayden[/name_u] (boy), 1 [name_u]Kayden[/name_u] (boy) and 1 Layden (boy).

I actually really like the name [name_u]Aidan[/name_u], and if I had a baby 5 or more years ago I may have been one of the moms used fell in love with it and used it, BUT I had my first son 3 years ago after I had already taken notice of the trend.