What's your favorite nickname for Katharine

So my youngest daughter who is 2 is named [name]Katharine[/name] but we call her [name]Katie[/name]. So the fact that there are millions of Katies has really hit me (and her) this summer. I told her [name]Katie[/name] is such a great name that lots of people have it, but while the answer satistfied her I’m not as convinced. I’ve tried to transition her to [name]Kate[/name] but it hasn’t really taken hold; although I haven’t given it up completely. I call her [name]Kit[/name] [name]Kat[/name] once in a while so theoretically one of those might work. Calling her [name]Katharine[/name] would be an obvious answer but I don’t think my dh would go for it. Our other kids names are P@ul, M@rk, and Cl@re. Any suggestions…

Well, I completely think that [name]Kate[/name]/[name]Katie[/name] is so classic that the popularity matters less. That said, I adore [name]Kit[/name]! I think it’s so fantastic. [name]Kitty[/name] is also adorable, and I’m fascinated by [name]Cricket[/name], although it probably works better for [name]Catherine[/name].

Your children have great, solid, classic names!

[name]Auburn[/name]

[name]Kitty[/name]!

I love the name [name]Katharine[/name]! (Though my prefered spelling is [name]Katherine[/name].) [name]Kate[/name] is my favorite, but there’s also [name]Kitty[/name], [name]Kit[/name], [name]Kat[/name], [name]Kathy[/name], [name]Kay[/name], [name]Rina[/name], and if you wanna get creative, Kap/[name]Cap[/name], which is what we call my Aunt [name]Catherine[/name].

[name]Alexis[/name]

I think [name]Kit[/name] is adorable for [name]Katharine[/name]! I would stick with that for sure.

Definitely [name]Kate[/name]! If you decide to transition from [name]Katie[/name] to [name]Kate[/name]… perhaps start calling her [name]Kate[/name] sometimes, and then you can slowly increase the frequency as the name begins to feel more familiar. Calling her [name]Kit[/name] [name]Kat[/name] around the house is very cute.

BTW, I absolutely love all your kids’ names! [name]Cl@ire[/name] is elegant. [name]P@ul[/name] is my brother’s name. [name]M@rk[/name] is very strong, handsome, and underused. (I would have liked to use [name]M@rk[/name], but it does not go well with my one-syllable last name.)

Wow, I never thought of [name]Cricket[/name] for [name]Katharine[/name]! I love [name]Cricket[/name]! I love the name [name]Katharine[/name], and pretty much all the nicknames. My mom goes by [name]Kitty[/name] so I am biased towards that. [name]Kit[/name], [name]Kitty[/name], [name]Kit[/name] [name]Kat[/name] and [name]Kat[/name] can all sort of go together. I could see calling her all of those interchangably. I also love [name]Katie[/name], but as you said, it’s so popular. I don’t really see how calling her [name]Kate[/name] instead will really help on that front, most Kates and Katies I know go by both.

I think [name]Kat[/name] is the most rock and roll. [name]Kitty[/name] is the most cutesy. [name]Kit[/name] is the most retro. [name]Kate[/name] is the most professional. [name]Katie[/name] is the girl next door.

Not sure how you feel about nicknames that are more of a stretch, but I have seen [name]Kassie[/name]/[name]Cassie[/name] listed as a nn for [name]Katharine[/name]. I also think [name]Kara[/name] would work.

Thanks for the feedback. Definately food for thought.

[name]Sara[/name] - I like [name]Cassie[/name] but not [name]Kassie[/name]. [name]Kara[/name] has posibilities although it would be probably a harder transition for her as it’s pretty different from [name]Katie[/name].

everwaiteing - I actually started the [name]Kit[/name] [name]Kat[/name] because I was having switching from [name]Katie[/name] to [name]Kate[/name]. Hubby thinks it’s pretty cute but hasn’t followed suit.

lyndsayjenness - So that’s my fear that [name]Kate[/name] isn’t really all that different than [name]Katie[/name]. It might work if she never went by [name]Katie[/name] but that’s not happening - at least not at home. My plan for her when she started school was to tell them to call her [name]Kate[/name]; the problem now is she introduces herself as [name]Katie[/name]. I really like how you put each nn into a category. The retro feel of [name]Kit[/name], the cutesy feel of [name]Kitty[/name], or the rock n’ roll feel of [name]Kat[/name] probably don’t mesh too well with my other kids names. [name]Kate[/name] would work but you are probably right that most Katies respond to it. The more I think about it if I want the name to fit style wise without being overly popular my best bet might be to call her [name]Katharine[/name].

I actually like [name]Kitty[/name] the best, despite the cat association. [name]Katie[/name] is overused, and so is [name]Kate[/name] (but I like the spelling [name]Cate[/name], after [name]Cate[/name] Blanchett). [name]Kathy[/name] is dated (you can argue that [name]Kitty[/name] is too, but [name]Kathy[/name] is more recently dated). [name]Cassie[/name] sounds like it should be a nickname for [name]Cassandra[/name] instead.

[name]Kat[/name] has more of a cat association than [name]Kitty[/name]. I’ve also heard of Kath (there is a voice actress named Kath Soucie), but it seems to be rare.

I would stick with [name]Katie[/name]. I love that name and even though she may be the millionth one, [name]Katharine[/name] is still less popular than [name]Katherine[/name]. As you’ve said, it’s hard for her to transition. I would just stick with [name]Katie[/name] because it’s easier for her. But if you both really don’t like it, ask your daughter what she’d like to be called.

[name]Kit[/name]! [name]Love[/name] it so much, ever since I saw A League of their Own as a little girl. [name]Kit[/name] is so understated and cool. A beautiful girl who is not afraid to get dirty.

gothdolphin - dh actually calls my mom Cath (she’s a [name]Catherine[/name])

maggiedances14 - She seems to see [name]Kate[/name] and [name]Katie[/name] as somewhat the same. We happen to call her brothers both [name]Mark[/name] and [name]Marky[/name] and [name]Paul[/name] and [name]Pauly[/name] (at home only, I promise) so she sees it as normal to have the “-ie” ending attached sometimes but not all the times. I did try to ask her about the [name]Katie[/name] or [name]Kit[/name] [name]Kat[/name] and she seemed to indicate liking [name]Katie[/name] [name]Rose[/name] probably because her sister is pretty interested in middle names.

[name]Kit[/name] seems to be gaining a lot of support. [name]Do[/name] sisters [name]Kit[/name] and [name]Clare[/name] seem like a match?

Yes! [name]Kit[/name] and [name]Clare[/name] are adorable!

I love [name]Kitty[/name] best and then [name]Kat[/name].

I love [name]Kitty[/name] for a girl. If I have a [name]Katherine[/name] she’ll be [name]Kitty[/name]/[name]Kate[/name]. I also like [name]Kit[/name], but I like it better for a boy. In fact I’ve thought about using it for son in the future, so that makes me tell you not to use it for a girl haha. And I do feel [name]Kit[/name] and [name]Claire[/name] feel a little cutesy together.