What's your "Guilty Pleasure" Movie?

Saw the “Guilty Pleasure Songs” thread and thought it would be cool to have a movie version too. I’ll start. [name_f]My[/name_f] guilty pleasure movie is cringe Mamma [name_f]Mia[/name_f]. In my defence, here’s the story behind it.

I was on holiday with my family in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f], in a tiny apartment overlooking the harbour of a fishing village. It was a rainy evening and we were bored stiff! We saw the village had a little cinema and the only thing showing that night was Mamma [name_f]Mia[/name_f]. Now, this cinema, if you can call it that, had only one screen, and maybe 30 seats. We bought tickets and when we entered, the place was empty. By the time the movie started, there was only half a dozen other people in there. So, there we were, watching the cheesiest movie of all time, laughing our heads off, singing and dancing along all night - we had so much fun! So, now whenever I see Mamma [name_f]Mia[/name_f] or hear the songs, I’m reminded of that night and that holiday, and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

So what’s your guilty pleasure movie?

Mine is [name_m]Oz[/name_m] the Great and Powerful. It is very childish but I re-watched it a few times without any children nearby. Well, I just like the way [name_u]James[/name_u]. [name_m]Franco[/name_m] looks there…He is so handsome!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89191738@N00/8999031441/in/photolist-eHdowv-eHdpUx-eHjsBm-dWLgfk-dUKnrj-fQkcPw-dZVsgv-eKJ6HV-fQ3HFt-eHdoWV-fTUssH-dZVsFp-eKVsQm-e1ZnZj-dYCwkA-dYwNCg-eHjsgQ-eHdp8H-eHdnzX-eHdpMF-fKdsF9-eKJ3Er-dZVsvi-dZVsYi-e38VAo-e12ae9-dZVsUZ-dZVt88-e12a4G-dUDMDc-dUDMzZ-dUKnzs-dUDMMi-dUDMiz-dUDMng-dUDMJi-dUDMrX-e129Z3-e1xmNY-dUKtpW-dUDHC6-dUDHhK-dUKiko-dUKhr1-dWpmpa-dYCwkU-dUDHFz-dUDS18-dUDSf2-dUDVvV-dUKrJA

I know it was a TV movie, but for me, it has to be High School Musical (all three of them) - I should be ashamed of that - but I’m not. It’s just pure cheese, something I can switch my brain off and watch, when I’ve had a hard day with my studies!

Practical [name_u]Magic[/name_u]. I can’t help it, every time it’s on TV, I have to stop what I’m doing, make myself a drink and watch it. [name_f]Every[/name_f]. Time.

The Fifth Element. It’s campy and ridiculous and cheesy and completely over the top and I freaking [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] it. I have probably seen it like 30 times.

Oh my goodness… The Devil Wears Prada is the ultimate guilty pleasure book AND movie for me. I’ve read/watched it more times than I can count… sometimes skimming through the book for the good parts when I’m bored… I don’t even know why I love it so much. I’m not even that into fashion and I don’t wear makeup at all.

If sugary-sweet counts as GPish, I guess The Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f] too. It’s been a favourite since I was 6 or 7, but I’ve never felt embarrassed about liking it. And Pride and Prejudice (2005), which some people would be ashamed of liking… also grew up with it, not so “guilty” either.

Oh boy! I have a LOT of these (guilty pleasures are my favourite pleasures)

The best/worst one has to be Willow.

@redwoodfey & @sleepysessha, Practical Magic is totally fab, just thinking about it is making me want Midnight Margaritas! And the Fifth Element is the movie they always used to use to check the quality on TVs… A random fact I learned from my tech nerd husband. I think its fabulous but isn’t Chris Tucker as Ruby Rhod so annoying?!

Freaky Friday, the one with [name_u]Lindsay[/name_u] Lohan and [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] [name_u]Curtis[/name_u]. I don’t know why I love it so much, but I watch it when I’m not feeling great. I am also partial to The Cutting Edge - an early 90s movie about a hockey player turned figure skater - when I’m sick and need a feel-good film.

I also adore Clueless, but as I think it’s fantastic, I don’t feel guilty about it. :wink:

Purple [name_u]Rain[/name_u]: When I really sit and think about it, the movie isn’t spectacular but it makes me happy nontheless. I sometimes despise the age we live in so it’s nice to transport myself into the 80s. Whenever I’ve had a bad day I grab a blanket and pop the dvd in :slight_smile:

White Chicks: I have watched this so many times, I’ve lost count. It’s cheesy, but never fails to make me laugh.

For me, it’s got to be [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Ralph[/name_m]. When I mention that I like this movie to people, they always cringe. I think it’s hilarious though, and has an interesting plot line.

I personally wouldn’t count The Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f] or Pride and Prejudice as guilty pleasures, but I guess everyone has different views on things. :slight_smile: I also liked The Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f] when I was little, I used to go around singing the songs from it, as much as I do now with Frozen (I’m not saying that Frozen counts as a guilty pleasure). :smiley: :rolleyes:

Oh haha I guess I wasn’t clear, I don’t count them as guilty pleasures either, I just meant that some people probably would. P&P, it has more to do with the fact that the 1995 BBC miniseries is generally considered “superior” to the 2005 movie. I do love both :stuck_out_tongue:

[name_f]Willow[/name_f] and The Fifth Element go on my list, too. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you know why they use The Fifth Element to check quality on TVs? That is random, but interesting. I like [name_u]Chris[/name_u] [name_m]Tucker[/name_m] in his role, but yes he’s quite annoying. It works for me. :slight_smile:

@bonfire, P&P 2005 is a GP movie for me as well. I’ve watched it a half dozen times.

Mean Girls. I can recite the entire movie and have seen it over 30 times…

Up (I can recite the whole movie), The Matrix (ditto), Tangled (ditto), Frozen (ditto), Despicable Me (ditto), [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] Almighty, The Proposal, Hairspray.

TV Show wise: [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m], although that is not really a guilty pleasure. That is a necessary tool for survival.

I’m not really understanding many of your GP’s!
Up is pure, creative sweetness, Mamma [name_f]Mia[/name_f] is excellent summer fun, The Fifth Element is sort of mind-blowingly awesome and completely insane but still well acted with a better than average script and a distinctive style that it dares to stick with, The Matrix are of course also over-the-top, but no more so than The Dark [name_m]Knight[/name_m] trilogy which I’m not sure anyone would call a GP.

GP’s for me would be films with few redeeming qualities that you can’t help but be entertained by, several times.
[name_f]My[/name_f] GP is the Twilight series.
Poor writing, bad acting, an absolutely infuriating story (the fact that young girls think [name_m]Edward[/name_m] is the perfect boyfriend makes me cry) and it still isn’t enough to keep me from watching them a fourth time. I can’t help it!

I have to second the twilight movies. I don’t mind the acting, but I agree that the writing and the story aren’t the best, but I watch them whenever they’re on TV! [name_f]My[/name_f] fiance doesn’t mind them either, but he’s way more reluctant to admit it than I am! The last one is one I always watch - but that may be because I have a little crush on [name_u]Lee[/name_u] [name_u]Pace[/name_u]…

Mean Girls & White chicks I also agree with, I find myself watching them if they’re on and I’m not busy. It must be teen movies/comedies that I feel guilty about because its the the same with Easy A & She’s the [name_m]Man[/name_m], which my 17 year old cousin introduced me too! They never fail to make me laugh.

I guess to me, a GP movie is one that’s sort of panned by the critics, or a movie that nobody takes seriously. They can be fun and superficial. Bubble gum and cotton candy. It tastes good but it’s made of sugar so all the nutritionists say it’s bad. I do agree that Up isn’t a GP, though, it’s one of the best animated movies I’ve seen, if only for the first 10 minutes, but even throughout, the character development of [name_m]Carl[/name_m] is wonderful. In sci-fi circles, The Fifth Element is a favorite of lots, but I don’t think it’s considered to be a work of art, there’s not much depth, it’s just fun and silliness(imo of course :wink: ).

Now, there’s also the So Bad It’s Good category, which I really love, especially in horror or sci-fi. I’m looking at you [name_m]Night[/name_m] of the [name_f]Comet[/name_f]!

Apparently they filmed it at a super high quality at the time & the colours were really sharp & vibrant compared to other movies or something. DH says it was called a “superbit”, meaning the DVD had a higher bitrate transfer & showed the TV’s sharpness & colour quality better than other movies.

As far as what constitutes a Guilty Pleasure movie, I think it has to be pretty bad. Willow is a good example - badly written, horrible acting, silly plot, but somehow mesmerizing so you just keep watching it.

There are movies I love which critics & other people don’t appreciate - take The Life Aquatic, for example (which it my #1 go-to movie when I need a night in), but I wouldn’t consider those to be true guilty pleasure movies.

I watched this film on the way to [name_m]Amsterdam[/name_m] in the cinema on the ferry. I may have falling asleep though. I agree with you [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Franco[/name_m] is one fine specimen, so is his brother [name_m]Dave[/name_m]. They look really similar http://about-random-things.tumblr.com/post/55345826997/midnightsmoonlight-james-and-dave-franco-hmm.
Mine is probably Mean Girls, it reminds me of being young and with my sisters.

Mine is probably one of the newer Disney princess films, The [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid, The [name_f]Princess[/name_f] and the Frog, Enchanted or [name_f]Rapunzel[/name_f].