when are names off-limits

My first post here…DH and I are having a hard time agreeing on a name. Have a couple of months left to settle on it, but we haven’t been making any headway. We’re having a girl and [name]Ivy[/name] is far and away my favorite but he’s not into it at all :frowning:

My question to you guys is…how do you determine when a name is off limits? The below girl names are all others I’d at the very least consider, but we’ve deemed them out of bounds because they’re already in use by others:

[name]Jane[/name] (my parents’ best friend whom I’ve known my whole life is [name]Jayne[/name])
[name]Molly[/name] ([name]MIL[/name]'s pet)
[name]Lucy[/name] ([name]MIL[/name]'s pet)
[name]Ellis[/name] (DH works with an [name]Ellis[/name] and thinks it’s an odd enough name for a girl that it would be strange to name our baby same as his coworker)
[name]Lila[/name] (a friend, but not a close friend, named her baby that about 8 months ago)
[name]Eleanor[/name] (neighbor across the hall has a 10-month old with the same name)

A coworker and friend of mine who is due very soon just told me that my first name is her top contender and it didn’t upset me at all so maybe I don’t need to be so worried about it? Would love some opinions…

Thx :slight_smile:

It sounds like you just need someone to rev up your creativity and lead you to names that aren’t around you in your daily life! Out of the names that you listed, i would be most comfortable with using [name]Jane[/name]. It would be after someone who clearly means alot to you - instead of a pet! [name]Jane[/name] would actually be a great middle name!
Here are some other ideas based upon the list of names that you gave:
[name]Eve[/name]/[name]Eva[/name]/[name]Evie[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name] nn [name]Trixie[/name]/[name]Bea[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] nn [name]Elle[/name]
[name]Elaine[/name] nn [name]Lainey[/name]
[name]Luella[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Lilias[/name]
[name]Sally[/name] ([name]Sally[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is cute)
[name]Ruby[/name] ([name]Ruby[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is amazing!)
[name]Camille[/name] nn [name]Milly[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] nn [name]Immy[/name]
[name]Louise[/name] nn [name]Lola[/name]/[name]Lou[/name]/[name]Lulu[/name]
[name]Mirabel[/name] nn [name]Mira[/name]/[name]Belle[/name]
[name]India[/name] nn [name]Indie[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name] nn [name]Izzy[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] nn [name]Elle[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Poesy[/name]

Is there anything thats catching your eye?
[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

Thanks for the list! A few of these are on our list of possibilities, and some others are ones we’ve considered but ruled out due to one of us not liking it. I’m starting to feel like I’ve read every name on the internet, but of course I keep going because there are always more.

[name]Hi[/name] abbyroad we are here to help you and please post as many times as you like. I think a name can be off limits if you feel that it will bring angst to a friendship or family member, but having said that if it was me I would love it if someone phoned me and said we want to name our baby after you!

Firstly it looks like you like short feminine names. So, we can have a look at short firsts and longer middles.

I think the [name]Jane[/name] in your life would feel honoured if you named your daughter [name]Jane[/name] as a connection to her. The only [name]Jane[/name] I have known was beautiful, tall and dark haired with a great personality, so I have good associations with it.

A combo to start you off

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] or if you wish to vary it a little so you don’t feel like a copycat then [name]Jane[/name] [name]Elinor[/name]

[name]Lila[/name], [name]Lilah[/name], [name]Leila[/name] are very popular now and if that factor doesn’t worry you then I would consider it if you won’t feel awkward if you meet up with this acquaintance, but if you do meet up just nonchalantly say “We have such good taste when naming our children” with a cheeky smile.

[name]Ellis[/name] is a boy’s name imo so I would try to find a name that has that feel but isn’t a boy’s name, eg [name]Elise[/name], [name]Ellen[/name],[name]Elena[/name], [name]Helena[/name], [name]Ella[/name] (the last very popular).

[name]Ellen[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Elise[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Ella[/name] [name]Paige[/name]

[name]Hazel[/name] will give you the “el” sound that you like so much as will [name]Laurel[/name] (a much underused gem).

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]

[name]Laurel[/name] [name]Bethany[/name] very sweet and I like names that depict nature so I will suggest

[name]Willow[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name], I like [name]Willow[/name] because it isn’t that popular but has a lovely sound and a slight artist or hippie vibe.

[name]Maia[/name] is a lovely name, eg [name]Maia[/name] [name]Isabel[/name], [name]Maia[/name] [name]Bellamy[/name]

more

[name]Ava[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Amity[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] [name]Fern[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Margot[/name]
[name]Chloe[/name] [name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Bridie[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Bryony[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Sally[/name] [name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Jane[/name] nn [name]Amy[/name], [name]Mimi[/name], [name]Leah[/name], [name]Milly[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Sabine[/name]
[name]Honor[/name] [name]Lilian[/name]
[name]Lacey[/name] [name]Hope[/name]

Am I on the right track with these suggestions?

all the best

rollo

sorry for repeats I can see asophie is on the same page as I am.