When did you choose your baby’s name?

[name_m]Just[/name_m] curious to know when others knew they had the right name and decided to stop looking! :grin:

1 Like

Probably around 6 months along for [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] but we were between two names for [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] and ended up finalizing his name at birth.
I’m 21 weeks now and I’m still not really sure what we will end up calling this team green baby.

6 Likes

I think we decided on the names a couple weeks after the anatomy scan for all three of mine. Once I have the name set, I don’t like changing my mind. People still try to bring up other names like it’s up for discussion. We have a first name for a boy picked out since I was first pregnant 7 years ago, but it’s been 3 girls so far.

4 Likes

I start making a list as soon as I know I’m pregnant and usually have 3 names narrowed down for each gender before the anatomy scan. Then once we know girl or boy it usually takes at least a few more months to really ‘settle’ on a name

3 Likes

We had the firstborn boy name settled a few years before he was born. Struggled with a girl option as we didn’t know the sex but I had a hunch I had it about halfway through the pregnancy and then felt really sure it was the right option around 28 weeks or so. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it was right then, we wouldn’t use the same name again if we have a girl.

Now I’m 36w with second pregnancy and have really struggled with it. Not sure exactly what’s right still. First the boy option felt more settled, now the girl option, but honestly I just don’t know. We won’t know for sure until they’re here but I do want to go into labor feeling we mostly know.

1 Like

We only start the naming discussion after the baby is born. We usually decide by the time we’re out of the hospital. It can take within the week to figure it out for good, though for most of my kids we knew within 3 days after they were born.

2 Likes

We tossed around a few other options but I think I knew for sure deep down starting sometime in 2008 when I first visited the giant sequoias in [name_u]California[/name_u] and I stood, entranced, in a circle of them arranged like a cathedral reaching up into the clouds. I was so overwhelmed by the experience. Not sure I would have used the name had I not moved to the [name_u]West[/name_u] [name_u]Coast[/name_u] but here we are six and a half years into his life and I have gotten nearly endless compliments on his name so I guess I made the right choice!

5 Likes

We settled on his first name maybe a few months before I got pregnant. We came up with his middle names right around 13 weeks, when my blood work came back and we found out what we were having. We never looked back on his name and it completely fits him :slight_smile:

1 Like

The day after they were born :relaxed: :woman_facepalming:
Took a few to the hospital then decided which one felt right.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] name was officially finalised in the 6th/7th month of pregnancy. I had some last minute doubts on the day of my c section but in my heart I knew she was [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] especially after seeing her when she was born.

1 Like

[name_u]Ever[/name_u] since I came across the name on here, I always knew my firstborn son would be either [name_u]Jude[/name_u] or [name_m]Reuben[/name_m]. His dad said [name_u]Jude[/name_u] was a girls name (yeah, what?!) so [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] it was. I did go through a lot of other names but always came back to it and [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] was pretty set in stone around 27 weeks. Which is a good job as he was born 6 weeks later! His middle name was going to be [name_m]Jax[/name_m] and I toyed with it for a few weeks after his birth, but [name_m]Leo[/name_m] was given in the end as an honour name for my mum.

1 Like

We had a boy name and a girl name chosen a couple months into my first pregnancy, after working over lists I’d had for years and searching for additional options on here and in my collection of name books. We used the boy name and saved the girl name.
We were pretty sure about our second boy’s name from the beginning of my pregnancy, but we looked at other options for a few months just to make certain.
The third time, we got to use our girl name. The boy name process was difficult, but we’d made a final decision by about 36 weeks. We like having the name chosen in advance, but it wouldn’t be a tragedy to go into labor with a shortlist and decide after the birth.

2 Likes

It was different for every one of my children.

With Hjörtur I knew pretty early on. I’d always wanted to name a son Hjörtur and his father agreed. I did have some doubts, but when I was around 24 weeks pregnant I was sure.

With [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m] we decided just before he was born.

With the twins I was sure about [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] as soon as we knew at least one of them was a boy. We only decided on [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] when he was already born.

2 Likes

Good question! We’ve chosen all three in the second trimester after months of discussion! I like having it settled and ordering little things with their name on it for their nursery before their born :heart:

1 Like

I can’t remember exactly when it was with our first that we had the name picked out, but I’m pretty sure we knew she was a girl by the time we picked it. I remember texting each other during the workday bouncing girl names around. I think it wasn’t long after our 20-week scan, because I remember my DH accidentally saying the name out loud in front of my mom on the way to watch a football game :stuck_out_tongue:

With #2, we’ll be 20 weeks tomorrow and we have our boy name picked and three girl names. We’re finding out the gender, so we’ll see if we have to settle on one of the girl names or if we’re set with our boy name :slight_smile:

1 Like

With my first, like an hour after we found out I was pregnant. We knew if it was a girl that would be her name, and she was a girl. With my son, we toyed with two names for months before “deciding” on one around 37 weeks, and ultimately choosing the other name an hour or so after he was born. Vastly different experiences for me!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] first born was going to be [name_u]Harry[/name_u] but about 2 months into the pregnancy I had quite a poignant dream about the name [name_m]Zachary[/name_m]. I mentioned it to my partner and he said he loved it. And I felt the same. Before Z. I had a miscarriage and as it was our first time trying, I had this insecurity that I just wouldn’t be able to carry. When I looked up Z’s name meaning ‘god remembers’ it seemed to validate his name came from divine inspiration/source. His middle name is the masculine version of my mum’s name. I love both his names.
[name_f]My[/name_f] youngest we thought too long and hard on his name. And even though it’s a perfectly nice name, I have always had some name regret with it because the nickname I wanted to use for his full name never caught on. They( family) use the latter more common nickname. His middle name, my sister suggested and I love his middle name more. I secretly hope he will switch his names round when he is older and use his middle as his first.
Third time( hopefully) I am not 100% certain on middles for either gender. I am hoping for same kind of divine intervention like j had with Z’s. First names I have sorted though and feel very happy about.

So in conclusion, i like to have baby’s name planned before they arrive. And I much prefer to pace myself in selecting the right name, perfect name for us and a little person.

3 Likes