When do names become unusable?

Are names unusable if you used to know somebody with them? My mother used to know a girl whose name was [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] and I think it’s a super cool name. Would it be weird to use or put on a list? What about town names? There’s a town near me called [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] and I really like the name as a middle but I wasn’t sure if that was too weird. What other circumstances do names become unusable?

Since your mom used to know her, I don’t think it’s a big deal. Unless she wasn’t very nice then it may not be a good choice, but if you don’t know [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] anymore so I don’t see the big deal. [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] is a gorgeous name and I think you should put it on your list :slight_smile:

As for the town name, I think that’s a little weird. I wouldn’t name my daughter [name_u]London[/name_u].

I think names become unsuable when there’s someone that ruins it (school bully, mean person in the media, too GP, book characters strongly associated with the name ex. [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]) or it’s a place name close to you or it’s the name of a niece, nephew, cousin’s baby, etc. I think namesakes are okay though.

I don’t think [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] is weird since it’s a common name unto itself. I live near a town called [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] but tons of people have that as a middle. On the other hand I also live near towns called [name_u]Everett[/name_u] and [name_u]Quincy[/name_u], which are way less common, so I wouldn’t use those since I think it would be perceived as naming after the town.

[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] is a sufficiently common name you can use it. [name_m]Just[/name_m] say you like [name_m]Fleetwood[/name_m] [name_m]Mac[/name_m].