When it comes to naming babies after important people in your life....

Has anyone run into the problem of running “out of” people to honor? I’m sorry, this may be a little confusing to explain, but here goes: A relative (who is trying to have another baby) and I were talking today, and she was stumped on names for when she does have another baby… Her first son was named after a good friend of hers. Then she had a little girl, and named her after her deceased mother (her brother did the same actually…a year after her). She is worried because she doesn’t exactly have another person she was/is close enough to/ wishes to name her baby after…but she doesn’t want the new baby to feel left out…

Has anyone else run into this little problem? And if so, did you find a “solution” that satisfied you?

I can understand this problem. There may be no great solution, but there are a couple of things she could do. Perhaps find a famous person she admires? Politician, musician, even movie star? Or what about a favorite ‘thing.’ For example, I am seriously considering [name]Iris[/name] for a girl because I go bat-poop crazy for irises every spring and have an ever expanding iris garden. Also, what about a favorite city, country, or a place she’s always wanted to go?

What about a name derived from a wonderful book, song, poem, etc. Or what about a meaningful story from her own life? Example: another reason I love [name]Iris[/name] so much is because of my grandfather. I’d never looked twice at those flowers, (they are very common where I live,) until one day my grandpa said, “I just love irises. There is no prettier flower than an iris.” At that point, I opened my eyes an actually looked at them, and realized I thought they were breath taking! So from that story, I take the moral: “try to find the extraordinary in the everyday ordinary.” And thus, the name [name]Iris[/name]!

If she has a ‘story’ to tell her other children about their names - “you are named after…” - I think it’s important she has a story to tell to this next child too. But it doesn’t have to be a story about a relative. Other people, places, things, or stories can be just as meaningful!

tintri…I love your input and agree with your recommendation.

Another idea would to be for the mother to use a name from herself. My hairstylist actually did this with her children. She has 3 girls and her first daughter has her grandmother’s name as the middle, then her second daughter has her mother’s name as the middle, then when she had her third daughter she didn’t have any more female family members to name her after so she gave her middle name to her baby girl.

Depending on the gender, and on the month in which she was married, she could give the child a month name: [name]March[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], etc. She could choose a historical hero of hers–e.g., I’ve always liked [name]Miles[/name] [name]William[/name], after [name]Miles[/name] Coverdale and [name]William[/name] Tyndale who translated the Bible into English. She could also look through her genealogy for old family names.

Is she using the exact name of the person she’s honoring? That’s the only way I could see her running out

If you are choosing names based on the person then there shouldn’t be any lack of names. You use variants of their name or names that represent something about them

My mom’s fave movie is [name]Cat[/name] on a Hot [name]Tin[/name] Roof, so I could use [name]Brick[/name] or [name]Mae[/name]. I like the name [name]Wallace[/name]/[name]Wallis[/name] because it means foreigner, and so does my mom’s name

Hm… I find it kind of hard to run out of people… what about grandparents? Does she have any other good friends, it doesn’t matter if they are living, what about her father? What about her husband’s side? Does he have anyone he wants to honor? It would seem silly for her to only get to honor the people she loved, her husband should get some people he loves in as well.

Actually, I don’t find this a problem at all. Now your friend gets to choose whatever name combo she truly loves. Why would any child feel left out if his/her parents made this thoughful decision. I don’t see any issue in this case.

Well for both her and her husband, they are both estranged from a majority of their family…its a bad history. So she’s trying to avoid more name associations.

[name]Ah[/name] I see, but does her Husband have any friends? I’m assuming he has to have at least one and they could use that… There’s also the option of doubling up and using a middle name from either of the two she had already used…