When you hear the name Oliver you think....?

What are some words that come to mind when you hear the name [name]Oliver[/name]?

I’d like to add that I’m not in the UK and [name]Oliver[/name] isn’t even in the top 100 where I am so it’s not all that popular (yet) over here in [name]Canada[/name] :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for your opinions. This board has been priceless in helping me pick out a name for my son due in 5 weeks!

Looking forward to hearing all your comments. Oh and feel free to make your own name suggestions that have a similar feel or sound as [name]Oliver[/name] :smiley:

I think of [name]Oliver[/name] Twist and then the words “All Over”

But I really like the name [name]Oliver[/name]. I would use it if there wasn’t already and [name]Olivia[/name] in the family :confused:

[name]Oliver[/name] twist of corse! it also makes me think of a blond green eyed 10 yera old or a black haired adult. :slight_smile: also makes me think of jack dawkinks, the artful dodger, becoz oliver and him become friends :slight_smile:

[name]Oliver[/name] Twist (like everyone else it seems). I always get a visual of a Dickens character with the name [name]Oliver[/name], not a bad association, just what pops into my head.

…of an intelligent, sensitive, creative, and charming individual. which is EXACTLY why i named my 2 year old son [name]Oliver[/name] ;). good thing he is living up to all of those characteristics!

obviously i’m biased, but i absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Oliver[/name] and have not for a moment ever regretted naming him that. Two years later and i sill love his name. i particularily think it’s one of those names that works equally great for a baby, a little boy, and grown man.

i’m due with my second son in 4 weeks and have had the challenge of finding a name equally as great as oliver. we have finally settled on elliott. other top contenders…dashiell, graham, donovan, beckett, and archer.

good luck to you!

[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Wood[/name] =) The Quidditch captain for Gryffindor until [name]Harry[/name]'s third year! He’s awesome :slight_smile:

[name]Elliott[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name] are great together!!

Twist, and that I don’t like the nn of [name]Ollie[/name]

I second that! [name]Love[/name] the name [name]Oliver[/name], dislike the nn [name]Ollie[/name].

I worked one summer at a day camp, and one of the boys was named [name]Oliver[/name], he’d have been about 11 or 12 then. I think of him when I hear the name [name]Oliver[/name]. [name]Oliver[/name] was not quite like the other boys - in a great way. When you think “boys will be boys,” [name]Oliver[/name] was not. Boys at that age can be rowdy and rude, but [name]Oliver[/name] was not (I mean, it was camp, so he could be rowdy - he knew how to be appropriate). He was not mild or weak or small or anything, but he was polite and thoughtful, and got along great with the other children (lest you think he was excluded by his nature) and respectful to adults. Totally boyish without all the craziness; would make a great man.

Of all the “handsome” offbeat kind of names people like for boys, this is definitely one of my favorites. I usually tend toward the classics, and [name]Oliver[/name] has that “classic” appeal to me, not trendy or soft. Solid, reliable, unusual = ideal.

Wow, I think a lot of these comments help to solidify [name]Oliver[/name] as THE name for my son (in 5 weeks!).

Thanks so much everyone.

I just saw a post on namers remorse. I truly felt for her post. I doubt I will have namers remorse if I go with [name]Oliver[/name] though so thanks again.

[name]Hi[/name]! When I hear “[name]Oliver[/name],” I think, “One of the best names, ever!”
:slight_smile: I think of someone who is intelligent, kind, athletic, genuine, warm, and top things off, handsome. :slight_smile:

Names that remind me of [name]Oliver[/name]:

[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Franklin[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]William[/name]

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I think this name is incredibly handsome and strong and rolls off the tongue in a way that most boys names don’t. It also has that hard consonant sound at the end that I so love for boys names.

[name]Oliver[/name] is very popular here in [name]California[/name]. It sounds like a blonde boys name to me for some reason.

I think of a tree when I hear the name [name]Oliver[/name]. I also think of [name]Oliver[/name] Twist.
Names that are handsome like [name]Oliver[/name]:
[name]Alistair[/name]
[name]Ansel[/name]
[name]Cameron[/name], but it is becoming unisex
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Peter[/name] - love as much as I love [name]Oliver[/name] or maybe even more.
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] - It’s style really reminds me of [name]Oliver[/name].
[name]William[/name] - has a different style than [name]Oliver[/name], but I love it just as much.

I do like [name]Oliver[/name] but I really don’t like the nn [name]Ollie[/name] and every single [name]Oliver[/name] I know (I know quite a few, it is incredible popular here) gets called [name]Ollie[/name]/Oli. That said the Olivers I know are generally lovely kind boys/ men. They often seem to be short and on the chubby side though in my experience! But if it less popular where you are maybe it is less likely to be shorted to [name]Ollie[/name] automatically.

I named my cat [name]Oliver[/name] so I obviously think of his handsome face. I adore the name, and not only for a cat. I think it’s a great name for a little boy - but I wouldn’t be able to use it for a son now. Hehe.

[name]Oliver[/name] [name]James[/name] flows nicely

[name]Oliver[/name] is my favourite boy’s name and love the nickname [name]Ollie[/name]. I think of [name]Oliver[/name] Twist and of [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Wood[/name] ([name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]!) when I hear it. It’s a great name! :slight_smile: