When you think about boys' names.....

[name]Do[/name] you only picture your boy having this name as a baby-toddler?

Or, do you also picture a boy with that name as a high schooler, adult, business man?

I first think if it would be good on a toddler, and then wonder if it could age well. [name]How[/name] will it be when he’s in high school? I wonder. I also try and make sure that, should I ever move to the UK from [name]America[/name], it would be okay. If it’s cute on a toddler but would make a 30-year-old sound like a little kid, I try looking for alternatives that I can get the name I like as a nn for when he’s a toddler.

Good question!

I mainly picture the name as a baby-toddler, because I think that you kind of grow in this name and that it’s gonna be normal to have this name as a high schooler… See what I mean?! My name is C”line - if I picture an old woman called C”line I think that it’s quite strange but I think that when I’m gonna be an old woman it’s gonna be normal?!

I think this is a great question because I think most people just get caught up the in the glow of “my cute little boy name” but at the same time I doubt you’ll get an accurate answer because people don’t like to admit it. In fact I’ve seen quite a few that use a lot of excuses when confronted with the idea… “No one really cares what your name is to get an interview” “It’ll grab people’s attention anyway so it’s an advantage” “He has to love it, because I do, he’ll learn to love it”

I really think people do their children a disservice by focusing on their own preferences above any possible affects on the child. This is a serious business and not about the parents and how much fun they have or how cool they are, but about the CHILD and his best interests. Loving a name is great, but if you use it you need to love it because it is a good name for baby/child/man/grandfather and not because it’s YOUR personal favorite. I love a lot of boys name I would never use because in the end it’s about being a parent before a name-nerd.

^^Soooooo very true! Great answer!

Adult. I imagine my child(ren) running for student government…or accepting top honors in college or what will be across their CV when applying for a job. [name]How[/name] the name sounds when greeting a fellow peer, a superior. [name]Will[/name] my child rank high in the [name]Royal[/name] Marines? [name]Will[/name] s/he be a dancer? A doctor? An office clerk? When I chose my daughters name I ran through every single one and more of these scenarios. I gave her a proper name, one with history and depth. A name that could be nicknamed if she desires.

My parents named me [name]Tiffany[/name]. I realise there will be plenty of 80-year-old [name]Tiffany[/name]'s someday, but that’s not enough for me. I refused to give my child a frilly, name that comes with assumed stereotypes, etc. As cute as some of the popular names are now, would you like a [name]Kylee[/name] [name]Jade[/name] Starshine performing your open heart surgery if you knew nothing of her, but her name? I hate to confess that I would hold some serious reservations… even with my own name being frilly and horrible…

To be honest i think threw them all. I HATE and i say hate with real force, when people give names to children that are old lady names (i.e. [name]Gertrud[/name], Mirium, [name]Gretchen[/name], [name]Aster[/name] so on and so for) but everyones idea of what an old name is, is diffrent. But i like to be able to see a name that would grow with my child. Such as [name]Katherine[/name], that is a name that though not my personal stye, ages wonderfully. As a baby she can have cutesy nicknames, then as a teen can be a still cutesy but not as baby-ish [name]Katie[/name] then when shes a professional can be [name]Kate[/name], or [name]Katherine[/name]. I honestly do try to think this way, my husband tried to get me to name one of our future children [name]Striker[/name] and i asked “what if hes a doctor? or a lawyer?” I would hate for a name to really affect my childs chance at being successful. However i do also feel that names are growing stranger, and stranger names are becoming more popular so names such as (two of my favorites) [name]Adelaide[/name] and Everleigh will be considered normal when we have children named [name]Butterfly[/name] Sewing and [name]Edward[/name] Twilight [name]Jacob[/name] running around. I feel more simple names (such as [name]Kate[/name], [name]Alice[/name], and so on) will remain “classic vintage”. Haha i feel like i got really off track. All in all i dont htink most people (i think its a name enthusiaest thing) really think about, oh when my daughter Moonlight Twinkle Kiss is an adult, they think awww what a cute name for a baby. All in all i think that a names “aging ability” should be taken into account, but also we need to realize that by the time children now are grown, there will be alot more absurd names making those names sound as normal as [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Michael[/name], and [name]Emma[/name] are now.

Now that I have a son who is almost 24, I can really imagine whether certain boys’ names would have worked for him. I am glad I gave my son a classic, timeless name because I think he will end up being a history professor. I’m glad we didn’t name him [name]Brad[/name] or something like that.
But if he had been another type of guy then maybe [name]Brad[/name] would work.