When your crush doesn't fit your aesthetic?!

Hey Berries!

Are you having a wonderful day? I hope so! :kissing_heart:

I thought this could be a fun thread to make, as I’ve recently fallen hard and fast for [name_f]Reverie[/name_f], but it doesn’t really fit with our other name loves and is now causing me as existential crisis… :rofl::flushed::sob: Haha!

What names have caused you to question if consistency or adoration is more important??

What did you decide was more important??

[name_m]Just[/name_m] for fun, what is your favourite name that is the furthest from your usual aesthetic??

Have a great day! :dancer: xx

3 Likes

Great question!!

Also I am having a very nice day.:relaxed: Got a cold, but it’s not covid, so I’m pleased as can be!

I love the names Rose, Elizabeth, Winnifred, Penelope, Theodore, Henry… classic, vintage names. And my recent name crush for a girl is Pascale, which just doesn’t fit to me! But… I love it anyway, and I don’t care so much that it doesn’t go. :rofl:
A name you love is far better than a name you pick just because it matches the others. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

i struggle with this all the time, because i have so many favorite names (of way different styles).

i love really classic/hipster names like lucy, eleanor, ida, simon, oliver, and hugo; which i pair with wilder middle names like moss, evergreen and wilde.

some of my current favorites that contradict my main style are:

lyla joy
wrenley sue
aria scarlett
harper rae
emmelyn blake

pierce hutton
sawyer wade
beckett grey
lawson jack
nash foster

3 Likes

I think what you love is most important! The names I truly love tend to go together in a similar style, but sometimes I can’t help liking some that are way off!

[name_f]My[/name_f] normal favourites are melodic two-syllable names which have a little bit of a classic feel to them: [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_u]Evan[/name_u], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] etc.

Some of my guilty pleasure loves which definitely don’t fit are [name_f]Bailee[/name_f] and [name_f]Stellaluna[/name_f]!

I guess because they don’t fit why I love the names I love, I find it difficult to place them above my favourites, so while I would say to go with what you love, I end up gravitating towards consistency anyway :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Pascale might not be a femme classic like the others listed, but I think it sounds great with Theodore! Theodore is a soft masculine name to me, so I think a strong feminine name sounds like a good balance with it, if that makes sense.

I love these combinations! Such a great vibe. Blake is great for a girl.

This is very much how I feel. I tell people loving a name is the most important all the time, but I need consistency so badly that I think it ends up over-riding for me.

3 Likes

I think my name list is alllll over the place. I have some trendy names, some classic names, some very unique word names, etc. I’m not sure why I like the names I like but they definitely don’t follow any particular style and I’m pretty sure all my kids will not sound like they “go together” (especially according to nameberry) but I think that truly loving the name is way more important than how they sound together. I mean you’re naming a whole individual human being, not just a piece of a set. Them as a set with their siblings will only be a very small portion of their life.

1 Like

[name_f]Reverie[/name_f] is so cool!!

[name_m]Herbert[/name_m] isn’t my usual style - a bit clunky and old fashioned and yet I’m liking it. [name_f]May[/name_f] just be because I’m having a Great Expectations moment :grin:

1 Like

For me it depends on how far off it is. For the most part, I don’t fall in love with names that don’t fit in, so this usually isn’t an issue for me. One exception is Aurelia. It is just magical and full of brightness and whimsy. It has never made it on my shortlist because it is more out there than my usual style. So I suppose I value cohesiveness over adoration, because I ultimately can’t see certain names fitting in very well.

All that said, it rarely bothers me when other people mix and match styles. It’s more of a me problem lol

1 Like

Oh I love this - such a great way to think about it!

Herbert is super sweet! I love the nn Herbie - hoe cute!

Yes! Aurelia always gets my attention too. It’s not on our list though as our nephew’s middle name in Aurelian.

I am the opposite - I really notice “mix n match” sibsets and it always grates on me. It’s a strangely strong hang up I have haha.

Yep, as much as I want to be on the love and feels train, I think ultimately this is me too. I need the order much more strongly.

2 Likes

I seem to have quite a few different “sets” of names that I like, though there always seems to be a base-aesthetic that all of them fit that is: can I imagine them playing at the beach in Spain, eating ice cream in the alleys of [name_f]Barcelona[/name_f] and dancing way past midnight when there’s a big fiesta going on, even as a child? Still, there are many “fringe aesthetics” that each name has and those often don’t work together for me.
A name that’s currently on my mind a lot (though it has been a favourite for many years) is [name_f]Lola[/name_f]. Before that it was [name_f]Ofelia[/name_f]. Both of them fit my main aesthetic and yet I wouldn’t use them as sister names because they just give off completely different vibes beyond that.
Not something I totally mind and if those were the only names on my list I would find a way of making them work (Lola & [name_f]Fia[/name_f], for example), however, it’s important to me that the names feel equal, which, in this case they don’t.

A few names that I love which don’t fit my main aesthetic at all:
[name_u]Arden[/name_u]
[name_u]Sylvester[/name_u]
[name_m]Ivor[/name_m]
[name_f]Wednesday[/name_f]
[name_m]Mortimer[/name_m]
[name_m]Fyodor[/name_m]

1 Like

@OpheliaFlora [name_f]Lola[/name_f] does have a strange whimsical charm about it. It sits on one’s tongue so nicely. I definitely understand the appeal!

Oh, yes, [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f] is wonderful! Completely “not my stule” as we say n here, but it catches my attention often. [name_u]Arden[/name_u] is also gorgeous.

My style is really eclectic, but I suppose my favourites are popular, classic names. Some names that don’t ‘fit’ are Swanhilde, Plum, Poet, Ginger and Liliosa, but it doesn’t bother me.

I think I’ve just decided my aesthetic is names that I like, lol

1 Like

Haha I feel this :sweat_smile: Also, I love Poet too! I don’t know if I’d ever use it, but it’s so pretty :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

[name_u]Vanya[/name_u], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Io[/name_f] & [name_f]Claire[/name_f]

1 Like

Pepper is a name I love on a girl
I prefer common and popular names and Pepper is anything but that!

1 Like

I really like Atm which don’t fit my style:

[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] (Too classic for my usual style, but I do like Eliza-Beth or Elisa-Beth, more unique spelling so it’s nicer)

[name_u]Emerson[/name_u] (Too… trendy for my list)

1 Like

Me too! I always notice Emerson, but it’s soooo not my usual taste haha :laughing: