When your crush doesn't fit your aesthetic?!

Hey Berries!

Are you having a wonderful day? I hope so! :kissing_heart:

I thought this could be a fun thread to make, as I’ve recently fallen hard and fast for [name_f]Reverie[/name_f], but it doesn’t really fit with our other name loves and is now causing me as existential crisis… :rofl::flushed::sob: Haha!

What names have caused you to question if consistency or adoration is more important??

What did you decide was more important??

[name_m]Just[/name_m] for fun, what is your favourite name that is the furthest from your usual aesthetic??

Have a great day! :dancer: xx

3 Likes

Great question!!

Also I am having a very nice day.:relaxed: Got a cold, but it’s not covid, so I’m pleased as can be!

I love the names [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Winnifred[/name_f], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], Henry… classic, vintage names. And my recent name crush for a girl is [name_u]Pascale[/name_u], which just doesn’t fit to me! But… I love it anyway, and I don’t care so much that it doesn’t go. :rofl:
A name you love is far better than a name you pick just because it matches the others. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

i struggle with this all the time, because i have so many favorite names (of way different styles).

i love really classic/hipster names like lucy, eleanor, ida, simon, oliver, and hugo; which i pair with wilder middle names like moss, evergreen and wilde.

some of my current favorites that contradict my main style are:

lyla joy
wrenley sue
aria scarlett
harper rae
emmelyn blake

pierce hutton
sawyer wade
beckett grey
lawson jack
nash foster

2 Likes

I think what you love is most important! The names I truly love tend to go together in a similar style, but sometimes I can’t help liking some that are way off!

[name_f]My[/name_f] normal favourites are melodic two-syllable names which have a little bit of a classic feel to them: [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_u]Evan[/name_u], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] etc.

Some of my guilty pleasure loves which definitely don’t fit are [name_f]Bailee[/name_f] and [name_f]Stellaluna[/name_f]!

I guess because they don’t fit why I love the names I love, I find it difficult to place them above my favourites, so while I would say to go with what you love, I end up gravitating towards consistency anyway :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

[name_u]Pascale[/name_u] might not be a femme classic like the others listed, but I think it sounds great with [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]! [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is a soft masculine name to me, so I think a strong feminine name sounds like a good balance with it, if that makes sense.

I love these combinations! Such a great vibe. [name_u]Blake[/name_u] is great for a girl.

This is very much how I feel. I tell people loving a name is the most important all the time, but I need consistency so badly that I think it ends up over-riding for me.

3 Likes

I think my name list is alllll over the place. I have some trendy names, some classic names, some very unique word names, etc. I’m not sure why I like the names I like but they definitely don’t follow any particular style and I’m pretty sure all my kids will not sound like they “go together” (especially according to nameberry) but I think that truly loving the name is way more important than how they sound together. I mean you’re naming a whole individual human being, not just a piece of a set. Them as a set with their siblings will only be a very small portion of their life.

1 Like

[name_f]Reverie[/name_f] is so cool!!

[name_m]Herbert[/name_m] isn’t my usual style - a bit clunky and old fashioned and yet I’m liking it. [name_f]May[/name_f] just be because I’m having a Great Expectations moment :grin:

1 Like

For me it depends on how far off it is. For the most part, I don’t fall in love with names that don’t fit in, so this usually isn’t an issue for me. One exception is [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]. It is just magical and full of brightness and whimsy. It has never made it on my shortlist because it is more out there than my usual style. So I suppose I value cohesiveness over adoration, because I ultimately can’t see certain names fitting in very well.

All that said, it rarely bothers me when other people mix and match styles. It’s more of a me problem lol

1 Like

Oh I love this - such a great way to think about it!

[name_m]Herbert[/name_m] is super sweet! I love the nn [name_m]Herbie[/name_m] - hoe cute!

Yes! [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] always gets my attention too. It’s not on our list though as our nephew’s middle name in [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m].

I am the opposite - I really notice “mix n match” sibsets and it always grates on me. It’s a strangely strong hang up I have haha.

Yep, as much as I want to be on the love and feels train, I think ultimately this is me too. I need the order much more strongly.

2 Likes

I seem to have quite a few different “sets” of names that I like, though there always seems to be a base-aesthetic that all of them fit that is: can I imagine them playing at the beach in Spain, eating ice cream in the alleys of [name_f]Barcelona[/name_f] and dancing way past midnight when there’s a big fiesta going on, even as a child? Still, there are many “fringe aesthetics” that each name has and those often don’t work together for me.
A name that’s currently on my mind a lot (though it has been a favourite for many years) is [name_f]Lola[/name_f]. Before that it was [name_f]Ofelia[/name_f]. Both of them fit my main aesthetic and yet I wouldn’t use them as sister names because they just give off completely different vibes beyond that.
Not something I totally mind and if those were the only names on my list I would find a way of making them work (Lola & [name_f]Fia[/name_f], for example), however, it’s important to me that the names feel equal, which, in this case they don’t.

A few names that I love which don’t fit my main aesthetic at all:
[name_u]Arden[/name_u]
[name_u]Sylvester[/name_u]
[name_m]Ivor[/name_m]
[name_f]Wednesday[/name_f]
[name_m]Mortimer[/name_m]
[name_m]Fyodor[/name_m]

1 Like

@OpheliaFlora [name_f]Lola[/name_f] does have a strange whimsical charm about it. It sits on one’s tongue so nicely. I definitely understand the appeal!

Oh, yes, [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f] is wonderful! Completely “not my stule” as we say n here, but it catches my attention often. [name_u]Arden[/name_u] is also gorgeous.