Where Do Your Favorites Fall on the 2017 List?

Where did your Top 3s land on the new SSA list? Are they rising or falling? Were you surprised?

1. [name_m]Cormac[/name_m], nn [name_m]Mack[/name_m]: [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] = Below 1000, hasn’t been on in past; [name_m]Mack[/name_m] = #607, up from #693 last year. Highest rank was 96 in 1900. I think this shows the rise in nn names that we are seeing trending on Nameberry. Personally I prefer a given name with a nn, but appreciate that [name_m]Mack[/name_m] would not be unheard of, yet still unique to most people. 600s seem like a pretty good spot to me!

2. [name_m]Jedidiah[/name_m], nn [name_m]Jed[/name_m]: [name_m]Jedidiah[/name_m] = #689, up from #749. Highest rank was 1979 (That’s the year I was born, actually, and that does kind of surprise me. I never knew a [name_m]Jedidiah[/name_m] my age.) [name_m]Jed[/name_m] = Below 1000, last ranked in 1989. Highest rank in 1978. Again, 600s must be my sweet spot!

3. [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]: Below 1000, hasn’t been on in past. I kind of thought it would gain momentum from [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Law[/name_m]'s son. Maybe as he gets older it still will.

The highest boy name from my long list is [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] at #33, though I mainly like it to get to the nn [name_m]Ike[/name_m]. Recently, though I have decided I prefer [name_u]Micah[/name_u] as a full name for [name_m]Ike[/name_m].

1. [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f], nn [name_f]Willa[/name_f]: [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]: Below 1000, last on the list in 1952. Highest rank was in 1901. [name_f]Willa[/name_f] = #454, up from #464. Highest rank was in 1932. [name_f]Willa[/name_f] is a great name. I’m glad people are appreciating it. I just hope it doesn’t get TOO much more appreciation!

2. [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], nn [name_u]Romy[/name_u]: [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] = #457, down from #439. Highest rank in 1946. [name_u]Romy[/name_u] = Below 1000. Apparently the 400s are the sweet spot for my girls!

3. [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], nn [name_f]Mae[/name_f]: [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] = #806, down from #790. Highest ranked in 1927. There’s another Hotel Transylvania moving coming out this year, might give it a bump. [name_f]Mae[/name_f] = #654, down from #582. Highest rank was 1902. (Sidenote, [name_f]May[/name_f] is not on the Top 1000, which does surprise me.)

The highest girl name from my long list is [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] at #18, which I would only use to get to [name_f]Lettie[/name_f]. That’s way too high for me so I’d probably use some other names I’ve considered as full names for [name_f]Lettie[/name_f]. ([name_f]Colette[/name_f] #531 or [name_f]Arletta[/name_f]/[name_f]Alette[/name_f] both of which are currently unranked.)

I think this makes my naming pattern/preferences pretty easy to see.

Let’s hear yours!

[name_m]Hendrix[/name_m] - #349 in 2017. The highest it ranked was #402 in 2016.

[name_u]Ashton[/name_u] - #138 in 2017. The highest it ranked was #76 in 2004.

[name_m]Atticus[/name_m] - #350 in 2017, which is it’s highest ranking.

[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] - #242 in 2017. The highest it ranked was #81 in 1882.

[name_u]Lennon[/name_u] - #445 in 2017, which is it’s highest ranking.

[name_u]Waverly[/name_u] - I am unsure of its ranking but it was most popular in 1816 and throughout the 1800’s.

[name_m]Ezra[/name_m] - #69 currently. It was quite a bit less popular when I first started liking it, and I don’t know what I’m going to do when I get to (if I get to) having kids. 2017 is the most popular it’s been since 1900.

[name_u]Asa[/name_u] - #490. Its highest rank was in 1907, at #351.

[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] - Not in the top 1000 and it’s never been on the list.

[name_f]Odessa[/name_f] - Not in the top 1000. It was last on the list in 1956 and the highest rank was in 1909, at #278.

[name_f]Ada[/name_f] - #321. Its highest rank was in 1901, at #66.

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - Not in the top 1000. It was last on the list in 1972 and its highest rank was in 1902, at #100.

I was happy that Thomas which is the name we’re giving this baby due in September remained at #48. All of my 7 kids names fell in rank except James which rose 1 spot even while being given to slightly fewer babies.

My husband’s favorite girl’s name Lucy rose only slightly from 54 to 52 despite being given to 28 fewer girls. My favorites of Sarah (416 fewer babies) and Grace (591 fewer babies) continued to slide while Mary technically picked up 1 spot despite 123 fewer babies given that name. Rosemary is also a sometimes favorite of mine and that also dropped which surprised me a bit.

I’m just going do my absolute favorites I’d actually use.

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] - #993 in 2017 fell from #959 in 2016. Did not list in the top 1,000 before that (at least starting at 1900).

[name_f]Delphine[/name_f] - Does not rank in the top 1,000 for 2017. Last ranked in 1962 at #906 after going up & down on the list (not passing the mid 400’s) since the early 1900’s.

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] - #418 in 2017. Up from #430 in 2016. He’s been in the 300’s - 500’s since 1973. Before that he was always somewhere on the list similar rank to now in the early 1900’s. Then going to the 900’s - 600’s through the 40’s - 60’s.

[name_m]Archie[/name_m] - [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is not in the top 1000 names for any year of birth in the 2000s.
[name_u]Toby[/name_u] - For 2017, the number of births with name [name_u]Toby[/name_u] is 276, which means that it sits at 812 on the list.The year when the name [name_u]Toby[/name_u] was most popular is 2004. In that year, the number of births is 612, and it sat at 428 on the list.
[name_m]Damien[/name_m] - For 2017, the number of births with name [name_m]Damien[/name_m] is 1340,*it is at 266 on the list. The year when the name [name_m]Damien[/name_m] was most popular is 2007. In that year, the number of births is 2259 and it was 182 on the list.

[COLOR="#800080"][COLOR="#800080"][name_f]Ellie[/name_f] - For 2017, the number of births with name [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is 4993 and it is 44th on the list. The most popular year was 2016 with it sitting at 43rd with 5060 births.
[name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] - For 2017, the number of births with name [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] is 2601,*118 on the list.
The year when the name [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] was most popular is 2014. In that year, the number of births is 4354,*57 on the list
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] - For 2017, the number of births with name [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] is 3145,*92nd on the list. The year when the name [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] was most popular is 2007. In that year, the number of births is 4104,*79th on the list. [/COLOR][/COLOR]

[name_m]Hendrix[/name_m] - #349 in 2017. The highest it ranked was #402 in 2016.

[name_m]Ford[/name_m] - #711 in 2017. The highest it ranked was #442 in 1890.

[name_m]Lincoln[/name_m] - #41 in 2017, which is it’s highest ranking.

[name_f]Harlow[/name_f] - #390 in 2017, which is it’s highest ranking.

[name_u]Sailor[/name_u] - It did not chart.

[name_u]Waverly[/name_u] - I am unsure of its ranking but it was most popular in 1816 and throughout the 1800’s.

[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]- #360 in 2017, up from #406 in 2016. This is the highest it’s been since 2000.
[name_f]Juno[/name_f]- did not rank and has never ranked.
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]- #212 in 2017, up from #239. This is the highest it’s been since 2000. The name also went up for boys.

[name_m]Leo[/name_m]- #61 in 2017, up from #74 in 2016. This is the highest it’s been since 2000, and is quickly creeping into “too popular” territory, which begins at the top 50 for boys.
[name_m]Cassian[/name_m]- did not rank
[name_u]Finley[/name_u]- #279 in 2017, up from #287 in 2016. This is it’s highest ranking since 2000. Also increased for girls.

[name_f]Emerald[/name_f]- At #979 in 2017. This is the first time it’s charted in 15 years! So its gone up, I’m really curious to see if it keeps rising. The highest [name_f]Emerald[/name_f] has ever been was #768 in 1994.

[name_f]Azure[/name_f]- Has never charted.

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]- this name is at the record high for popularity, #51. It has been on the charts forever pretty much! The popularity is my main drawback of this name, but I’d still love to use it becuase it has so much meaning for me.

[name_f]Petal[/name_f]/[name_f]Blossom[/name_f]- [name_f]Petal[/name_f] has never charted. [name_f]Blossom[/name_f] is not on the charts this year. It was sporadically between 1903-1931, reaching #727 at its highest point.

[name_m]Forrester[/name_m]- Never charted.

[name_f]Jade[/name_f]- Not charted for boys in 2017. Was on the charts from 1968-2001 reaching #727 at its highest popularity. For girls in 2017 it reached #110, up 7 from last year.

[name_u]Sky[/name_u]- Never charted for boys. For girls in 2017 its #817, down from #776 last year. [name_u]Skye[/name_u] for a girl is at #425, climbing down the last four years.

[name_u]North[/name_u]- Never charted.

[name_u]Carter[/name_u] - #24, and I’m not happy about it. When I first fell in love with this name, it wasn’t nearly as popular as it is now. Though 24 is my lucky number, so maybe it’ll turn out to be a good sign?

[name_m]Casper[/name_m] - Not there! I’m surprised, but excited!

[name_m]Darius[/name_m] - #500.

[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] - #606. This has been my favorite name since I was about eleven, and I think it’s at a perfect spot in popularity.

[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] - #677. I’ve been hearing of more girls named [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] lately, I will admit.

[name_f]Valerie[/name_f] - #167. Right under [name_f]Molly[/name_f], which I love as well.

[name_u]Sailor[/name_u] - Not there! This is one of my top middles, and such a unique but beautiful name.

[name_u]Juneau[/name_u] - Not there! I thought possibly its variant spelling, [name_f]Juno[/name_f], would be more popular, but that’s not there either.

[name_f]Harriet[/name_f] - Didn’t rank in the US in 2017, although it’s in the UK top 50. This doesn’t surprise me, as I think it’s seen as something of an old lady name in the US?

[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] - #92 in 2017, up from #104 in 2016. Significantly more popular in the UK, at #21, but I’m not surprised by the ranking at all! [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] has been popular in the UK for my entire lifetime, and now it looks like it’s starting to catch up in the US!

[name_f]Diana[/name_f] - #230 in 2017, up from #269 in 2016. I’m not surprised to see this one rising through the ranks again, along with other Latin names that seem to be coming back into style.

[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] - #13 in 2017, a slight decrease from #11 in 2016. [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] has been in the top 25 for more than 20 years, and I don’t see it leaving any time soon.

[name_m]Edward[/name_m] - #169 in 2017, down from #163 in 2016. [name_m]Edward[/name_m] seems to be on a downward curve in the US, despite being at #23 in the UK.

[name_m]Mark[/name_m] - #203 in 2017, down from #195 in 2016. [name_m]Mark[/name_m] has fallen a lot since its heyday of the 60s, and I expect it to be gradually replaced by trendier one-syllable alternatives, such as [name_m]Knox[/name_m] and [name_u]Cruz[/name_u].

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Nelli[/name_f]) - as far as I can decipher, still not in the top 1000. Actually surprised since it’s becoming so popular here in Scandinavia. Maybe I should move to the US so my favourite name is basically unused

[name_f]Dortea[/name_f]/[name_f]Dorthea[/name_f] - Also completely outside the top 1000. not surprised. [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] is undoubtedly a much more popular spelling.

[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] - Also completely outside the top 1000. [name_m]Little[/name_m] surprised, but again not really.

[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] - 108th place, against 104th in 2016. Knew this already that [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] was gaining speed worldwide. Here in Denmark, the youngest prince is named this.

[name_m]Wilder[/name_m] - 573rd place, 725th in 2016. Pretty name, glad to see it gaining speed in the US, maybe that’ll make it more usable in Europe.

[name_m]Adonis[/name_m] - 390th place. Five places above 2016 (395). This one shocked me. I thought it was basically unheard of, but apparently not.

[name_f]Sienna[/name_f] is my number one and she’s at #222. However I’m from the UK and she’s around #28 here. I think the difference is crazy!

My number two is [name_u]Everly[/name_u], and she is #82 on the SA list as opposed to #401 [name_f]England[/name_f] & [name_m]Wales[/name_m]. Again the difference is huge but I’m not so surprised as [name_u]Everly[/name_u] is a pretty new name and I don’t think it’s quite reached the UK yet.

[name_f]Clara[/name_f], my number three, is #96 on SSA and #88 in the UK. Quite close especially since most people in the UK pronounce it Cl-ARE-ruh rather than [name_u]Clare[/name_u]-ruh.

My number one boys’ name is [name_m]Ramsey[/name_m], which unsurprisingly doesn’t place anywhere on either list. I love surname names and [name_m]Ramsey[/name_m] is the surname of a Welsh football player and the lead singer of my favourite band.

Number two is [name_m]Lester[/name_m], which again doesn’t place on either list!

Thirdly for boys, I love [name_u]Reid[/name_u], which is #228 on the SSA and #552 in the UK.

My top three girl’s names at this very minute are [name_f]Pandora[/name_f], [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] & [name_f]Zendaya[/name_f].

[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] - She ranks at #1172 in the UK right now with a total of 29 born last year so I’m quite content with that to be honest and with the negative connotations to the name I can’t imagine it becoming overly popular. It doesn’t rank at all in the US.

[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] - Similar to [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] this one ranks at #1211 (28 babies) so no real concerns about this gaining too much popularity to be honest. Another one that doesn’t rank in the US.

[name_f]Zendaya[/name_f] - There were only 13 [name_f]Zendaya[/name_f]'s born last year (#2120) so all three of my choices are very uncommon right now and I seriously hope it stays that way. It just about makes top 1000 in the US.

I love so many boy’s names! My long term favourite is [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] but due to popularity I question this choice more and more everyday so at this very moment it has fallen into the middle name spot. If I had 3 boys right now I’d lean towards [name_m]Xavier[/name_m], [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] & [name_u]River[/name_u].

[name_m]Xavier[/name_m] - This ranks at #200 in the UK compared to #89 in the US. I can handle this level of popularity as I don’t think there will be a sudden surge in [name_m]Xavier[/name_m]'s being born as it’s a pretty well established name. I would pronounce as Zay-vier.

[name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] - I adore this especially with the nickname [name_m]Zeke[/name_m]. It has steadily risen in popularity in the UK and now ranks at #394 with 112 babies named [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] last year. It appears to be much more popular in the US than the UK.

[name_u]River[/name_u] - I could actually use this on a boy or a girl, I just love it. It ranks similarly for both genders in the UK, #326 for boys and #343 for girls. This name is probably on the rise in the UK and US so it is one I will keep on eye on!

As I stated before [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] is my favourite boys name but sits within the top 20 in the UK but it is a timeless classic so we will see. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is the girl’s name I just love but the popularity in the UK is off putting for sure - it sits at #25 right now and to be honest if I had 2 daughters I’d be stumped as I don’t think I could get away with sisters named [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] and [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]!

My [name_m]Mark[/name_m] is 12 and I still am delighted with his name! Nice to see it included in someone else’s list of favorites.

[name_m]Bjorn[/name_m] - 953rd in 2017, did not chart in 2016. Last time it charted in the top 1000 was in 1980, and even then it was 958th. It is at it’s current highest rank.

[name_m]Jasper[/name_m] - 185th in 2017, up from 209th in 2016. Highest US Rank was 139th in 1880.

[name_m]Titus[/name_m] - 299th in 2017, down from 299th in 2016. Declining from it’s Highest US Rank of 280th in 2015.

[name_u]Seren[/name_u] - Does not appear to have charted ever in the US.

[name_f]Esme[/name_f] - 585th in 2017, up from 681st in 2016. Steadily climbing since it’s first time charting in the US top 1000 at 922nd in 2010.

[name_f]Signe[/name_f] - Did not chart in 2017. Has not been in the top 1000 since 1917 (964th), Highest US Rank was 535th in 1893.