Where to start?

Ok. I’m having my first daughter in early [name_u]February[/name_u], and I still have not even started seriously looking at names. It’s just so overwhelming. How do other first time mothers do it? Please help.

Hi!
[name_f]My[/name_f] first suggestion would be to start reading some lists based on your interests. If you like classic, mainstream names you can read Popular Names lists, if you want something more unique there are lists for that too.
If lists feel too overwhelming at the moment, you can try downloading the Kinder app which lets you swipe right or left on a name and saves the names you like to go back and look at. You can also search “[name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names I [name_u]Love[/name_u] but won’t be Using” on youtube & there are dozens of videos by moms/soon to be moms offering suggestions for names they love.
Good luck!

1 Like

When my friend was expecting her first and had no idea where to start with names, I actually bought her husband an Ancestry DNA test! She knew her background, but he didn’t.

I’ve never asked if it helped… But she told me he found out he had a lot of Scandinavian and they chose a Scandinavian name! Maybe they would have chosen it anyway, I’m not sure.

Either way, a good place to start could be within you and the other parent’s cultural origin. At least then you can get an idea of what you like and don’t like, even if you venture outside those origins!

Congrats!

1 Like

All very good suggestions of where to start from @rosajune and @Elle1! I second them all and will add in that Nameberry, specifically, has a section just of lists that you can spend hours just looking through and making your own list of ones you come across that you like! Good luck on finding names that you love!! :two_hearts:

1 Like

Nameberry also has a fun “name generator” where you can put in one (or more) names you already like, and it will give you similar ones.

For example, if you input sarah it will suggest [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f] etc

And if you input [name_u]Sage[/name_u] is will suggest [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_f]Clover[/name_f], [name_f]Jade[/name_f], [name_u]Eden[/name_u]

So that’s might be a plate to go once you have a few names you like.

Good luck!

Look at random name lists. It might be the popularity list, or just any list. Pinterest has some good pins about name lists, you can find some there (I recommend Nameberry’s Pinterest account, they have short but good themed lists that can make you see your style). When you find a few names you like, put them into a Nameberry’s name generator (or any website’s, but I personally like theirs best). This will give you some ideas that you may like :wink:
Also feel free to create another thread here; so we -real humans, not algorithms :grin:- can help you with suggestions :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d start by asking yourself what you want from the name

• do you want a classic name
  • do you want a name that’s familiar or one that’s more unique
  • do you want a word name
  • do you want a name with lots of nicknames
  • do you want a short or longer name
  • do you want something girly and princessy
  • do you want something with less frills
  • do you want a name that’s whimsical
  • do you want a name with a particular meaning or a particular origin

Once you know what you want, you can start looking at name lists or asking for ideas here!

1 Like

Totally agree with @Greyblue. The first step is to find out what you want in a name. A good way to do that is look at the social security name list or an old yearbook, and see what you like. Once you have a list of those, start looking for patterns. (ex. virtue names, long names, hispanic names, vintage names.) Once you have a vague idea of what you’re looking for, you can start asking us on nameberry more specific questions, or do a little research on your own. We’re always happy to help :green_heart:

You’ve got great suggestions already and I agree with all of them. The only other thing Id add that helps, me is imagining what my babies going to be like and my day to day life with them. And then when I find a name I like I say it out loud, like Im talking to them.

Well, you only need to get down to one or two names and you don’t have to consider every name! No need to do an exhaustive search, you only need to find a few names you love.

Pull up a list of the most popular names.

Work your way down the list and note a few that you like. Try reading them out loud so you can hear the sound. You’re not committing to these names, you’re just figuring out what you like. Stop when you make it to around 10-15ish names that you like. Now look at those names and think about why you like them. A certain beginning letter? [name_m]Long[/name_m] or short? A certain ending? Style or feeling? Number of syllables? Ok now you have a basic idea of the names that appeal to you!

Now you’re better equipped to look though more lists and find the names that really speak to you.

How about naming her [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]?

1 Like