Which -a names *would* work?

OK, just for fun and out of curiousity. . . I’ve been avoiding all 2 syllable names that end in A, thinking them too close in sound to [name]Isla[/name]. But. . .a lot of names that end in the Y sound sound too. . cutesy for my taste - [name]Molly[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Maisy[/name], [name]Darcy[/name], etc.

So, what names ending in A could work with [name]Isla[/name], and I don’t necessarily need you to come up with names in particular, but, like what qualities should they have?

I really appreciate all of your help lately! This is me “taking a break” from looking at names:) I not really good at the break part, but I am looking at things a little differently, trying to think outside the box a bit! Anyway, thanks, really!

Well, for starters any three or four syllable name that ends in a wouldn’t be too matchy or rhymey with [name]Isla[/name]. But, I would focus more on avoiding the l sound than on the ending a sound, because the l sound is so prominent (the only consonant sound) in [name]Isla[/name]. So, a name like [name]Molly[/name] (aside from the fact that you don’t like it) might be too tongue twister-y with [name]Isla[/name] because the both have that strong l, regardless of the fact that they end in different sounds. A name like [name]Rita[/name], on the other hand, while it is another two-syllable name ending with an a, doesn’t sound anything like [name]Isla[/name], and the two names said together balance quite well, because the hard t offsets the soft l.

[name]Kelli[/name],

I would:

1. Avoid a strong vowel sound at the start (e.g., [name]Anna[/name], [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Orla[/name], [name]Ula[/name]), as it is closer to [name]Isla[/name].

2. Most importantly, I would avoid a heavy L sound, like the one in [name]Isla[/name] (e.g., avoid [name]Layla[/name], [name]Orla[/name], [name]Ula[/name], [name]Alla[/name], [name]Perla[/name], etc.), as they are just too similar. [name]Don[/name]'t choose a name ending in -LA!

So, I’d choose something with an R sound, as I think it pairs nicely with [name]Isla[/name], or maybe an S sound (e.g., [name]Mara[/name] - [name]Maura[/name] - and [name]Risa[/name] are good).

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Definitely not a vowel, like suggested above. I like the way [name]Isla[/name] sounds with [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Mia[/name] (Mee-Uh), [name]Cara[/name], [name]Nora[/name], and [name]Rosa[/name] for example. No “eye” sounds and no “l” sounds. [name]Isla[/name] is such a beatiful name! GL!

Have you thought of names with a harder consonant sound? like -n.

[name]Isla[/name] [name]Lynn[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] [name]Diane[/name] (or [name]Dayne[/name])
etc…

I think avoiding vowels and L-heavy names like others have suggested will solve the problem :slight_smile:
Some (unusual) suggestions:
[name]Audra[/name]
[name]China[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Frida[/name]/[name]Freda[/name]
[name]Farah[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Java[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Gaia[/name]/[name]Kaia[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Mora[/name]/[name]Maura[/name]
[name]Joya[/name]
[name]Maeva[/name]
[name]Mara[/name]
[name]Mina[/name]
[name]Vesta[/name]
[name]Nova[/name]
[name]Phaedra[/name]
[name]Petra[/name]
[name]Pippa[/name]
[name]Raina[/name]
[name]Rhea[/name]
[name]Sasha[/name]
[name]Roma[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name]
[name]Sonya[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Thelma[/name]/[name]Selma[/name]
[name]Tertia[/name]
[name]Tilda[/name]
[name]Tirzah[/name]
[name]Thora[/name]
[name]Tuva[/name]
[name]Vida[/name]
[name]Zelda[/name]
[name]Una[/name]/[name]Oona[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Brisa[/name]

Ditto…

Names like [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Miranda[/name], [name]Bianca[/name], or even shorter names like [name]Cora[/name] and [name]Gemma[/name], don’t seem matchy to me with [name]Isla[/name]. I think I’d probably also avoid names that end in “ina” (like [name]Corinna[/name]), because the “inna” sound reminds me of [name]Isla[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Kelli[/name] -

You might like these:

[name]Bryna[/name] - Irish - “strong one” [BRYE-nah]
[name]Keira[/name] - Irish - “black-haired”
[name]Maura[/name] - Irish - form of [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Sorcha[/name] - Irish - “bright”

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile: