Which and Why?

Which of these names would you add to my baby girl name list? Why? I’m looking for some in-depth feedback to decide whether any deserve placement in the Top Twenty.

1. Morwenna
  2. Angelica
  3. Zenobia
  4. Wilhelmina
  5. Hyacinth
  6. Queniva
  7. Stellaluna
  8. Clementine
  9. Beatrix
  10. Florence
  11. Myrtle

My top ten includes Lucy, Cornelia, Tabitha, Hosanna, Rosalind, Thessaly, Claudia, Eugenia, and Hadassah.

Am I allowed to say all of them? Ok, I won’t do that. I think my favorite is Wilhelmina. I love this name. There’s so much history in it, and so much nickname potential, with Willa, Willow, Mina, etc. I also like Florence, Beatrix, Clementine, and Angelica. I would like Stellaluna a lot, if it weren’t for the bat in the children’s book Stellaluna. Also, I like the sound of Zenobia, but it kind of reminds me of the word “xenophobia,” which isn’t a possitive association.

My favourites are Wilhelmina, Clementine, Beatrix and Florence (yes I like classic names :grin:). I like Stellaluna too, but think it is too long. I’d use it as Stella Luna.

I love Angelica! :angel: I’m so happy to see it on your list!
I love Clementine, Beatrix and Florence! :hibiscus: I believe Hyacinth is perfect for you - unique, girly and nature themed. I think Zenobia and Wilhelmina sound lovely with your top10 names. Zenobia is really unexpected. It’s a magnificent match for Tabitha, Hosanna, Thessaly and Hadassah. Wilhelmina, Cornelia, Rosalind and Eugenia would create a lovely sibset too.

Beatrix, Florence, Hyacinth, & Wilhelmina would fit right in, I think. I love Morwenna, though, too! But my favorite is Beatrix, so she gets my vote. :slight_smile:

Wilhelmina, Florence, and Angelica would be absolutely stunning in you name list! You names are very classic feeling, but are rarely used. I think Wilhelmina fits the bill best. But really, I would just add the ones you love most.

I would add

Clementine: This name sounds so fresh. I think it’s so stylish. It reminds me of Lucy on your list - friendly and sweet.

Beatrix: Sweet, yet also sassy and stylish. Fiercer than Beatrice because of that X.

Florence: This name sounds elegant yet kind. It reminds me of Tabitha on your list.

My favorites are Wilhelmina, Clementine, Beatrix and Florence.
Zenobia sounds like ‘xenophobia’ to me, Hyacinth is too much of a plant to me and Stellaluna sounds a bit ‘much’. I don’t know how I must pronounce Queniva.

Ooh, I love Beatrix. Such a lovely meaning, and I like how it feels old-fashioned but gets a little bit of edge from that fun “x” ending. To me it sounds upbeat, friendly, and energetic! Clementine is my second favorite; I think it, like Beatrix, sounds really lively and fun. I also love the nickname Emmie, so that’s a plus for me, but I don’t know if you like nicknames? Third favorite is Florence–gentle, beautiful, familiar but so underused. Zenobia unfortunately does remind me of xenophobia; normally I don’t mind a name that sounds a little like a word, but that’s an association that would definitely give me pause. Stellaluna made me think of the children’s book bat, which is actually a pretty sweet association in my opinion, but I think I might prefer the name as a lovely middle.

Beatrix definitely would feel right at home on your current top list, a la Eugenia, Claudia, Tabitha and Cornelia. By the same note Wilhelmina is a really nice choice too.

Clementine feels good for you too, though I think Clemence or Clemency would actually “fit” more (thinking of Hosanna, Thessaly and Florence.) On that Florence feels right at home here!

I like Morwenna for you, but would probably only pick one for my list between Morwenna and Cornelia.

1. Morwenna -this doesnt fit to me. It feels to Cornish and not quite right on your list. Perhaps as a middle?

2. Angelica
    This feels a tiny bit fussy for your list

3. Zenobia
    This seems to fit -it feels in line with your big biblical names

4. Wilhelmina
    I think this fits with Eugenia and Claudia so it coukd be one for consideration

5. Hyacinth
    I can see this beside Hadassah and Hosanna. Cynthia might be another option

6. Queniva
    This fits well. Quirky and interesting

7. Stellaluna
    A bit too mythical like Morwenna

8. Clementine
    This fits perfectly- I’d almost assume it was already on your list

9. Beatrix
    I think this works, especislly with Eudora, Lucy and Cornelia -it ties yiur names together

10. Florence
    Similar to Beatrix, i think it would help tie your names together

11. Myrtle
    This has a vintage, southern vibe that works well with your list!

I love love love Clementine. It’s the name of one of the sweetest book characters (by Sara Pennypacker) and I’ve never met a Clementine who wasn’t an absolute ray of sunshine. Clem is a cute nickname, but I think it’s one of those names that stands alone wonderfully. There is always the question of ClemenTINE or ClemenTEEN, in terms of pronunciation.

Wilhelmina needs a spot on your list! It fits common patterns that are present in some of your current top 10: 3 or 4 syllables, a-ending, uncommon or rare popularity. It has the historical punch of Florence and the bad-ass strength meaning of Bellatrix. A bonus for me would be the dynamic nicknames that come with this name choice.

1 Like

I would add the following because they are beautiful and have many nickname options:

• Wilhelmina
  • Clementine
  • Beatrix

Lovely to see Claudia and Rosaland made your top ten!

Angelica, due to the Angelica Schuyler/Hamilton connection.

Clementine, Beatrix, Angelica and Florence should be promoted in my opinion. They’re all beautiful, whimsical names steeped in history, and recall brilliant women like Beatrix Potter, Florence Nightingale, Angelica Huston, Clementine Churchill, Clementine Ford… Stellaluna is beautiful but I’d only ever use it as a middle name; it feels a little ‘too much’ as a first name to me and very ‘l’ heavy. Wilhelmina is a nice name although it’s never really struck me for some reason. Maybe it feels a little cumbersome to me or something? The others I just can’t quite see on a baby. They seem a little too harsh to me, particularly Morwenna, Queniva and Zenobia. They’d make epic middles though! Myrtle has been overwhelmed by the image of Moaning Myrtle for me to be honest, something I suspect anyone who’s read Harry Potter would feel. Actually, as a result of the books and the films I think of toilets when I hear/see the name Myrtle because Moaning Myrtle haunts the girls’ toilets! But there are some brilliant names here, some of which i’d definitely be pushing up the list.

Definitely Clementine and Morwenna. They both fit the “vintage mixed with unique” vibe of your other names.

After much consideration, I think I’ve decided that Clementine, Beatrix, Morwenna, and Wilhelmina will all be promoted. Hyacinth will be Beatrix’s middle name, and Queniva will be on the back burner for now. I adore Queniva, but I’ve never found the exact right combo for her. Zenobia, Myrtle, Angelica, and Stellaluna have been nixed.

We have a Zenovia pronounced zen-uh-via. Similar to Zenobia. We love her name and whenever anyone hears her name they always comment on how beautiful it is. Her nn is Via which is also a really cool sassy nn.