which do you prefer?

[name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Elisabeth[/name]?

I am due in mid july with my first baby and we just found out its a girl :slight_smile:

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Elizabeth[/name] and I just don’t think I will find anything I like better… I think it is so classy and sophisticated and a beautiful name for a baby girl. I have rarely met anyone with this name and usually see it in the middle spot… I know its high on the popularity list but that doesn’t really concern me. Which spelling do you prefer? I pronounce them almost exactly the same but feel like maybe if it were spelled [name]Elisabeth[/name] it would discourage the nicknames [name]Liz[/name] or [name]Lizzie[/name] which I don’t care for. Lissy seems a nn that would come with [name]Elisabeth[/name] which I like a bit more… However I keep going back and forth because [name]Elisabeth[/name] doesn’t seem to have the same spunk I love about [name]Elizabeth[/name]…

I will probably be using the full name most the time anyway so maybe I am over thinking the nn situation… but when I mentioned to a friend her immediate response was “ooh and I can call her [name]Lizzie[/name]!” :confused:

middle name will most likely be [name]Kai[/name]…

If you berries could tell me which version you prefer and why it would be a great help!

I really like both. They are both legit spellings. I slightly prefer [name]Elisabeth[/name] because I just find it so soft and elegant. [name]Elizabeth[/name] is nice too.

My oldest DD (who is [name]Isabel[/name], the Spanish form of [name]Elizabeth[/name]) really loves this name, I think she wishes it were her name! i knew one [name]Elizabeth[/name] growing up who kept her name the full 4 syllables and I’d highly recommend doing so! My sister’s mn is elisabeth with an s b/c my father dislikes Z’s, I really like it but would be aware that others would constantly misspell it. For that reason I might shy away from it, but otherwise, I like the look of the s a lot.

I would def prefer to use the full four syllables as well but I know it can be hard to stop nicknames for cropping up lol

I love [name]Elisabeth[/name]! I love [name]Elizabeth[/name], too, but I love the softer appeal of [name]Elisabeth[/name]. I like that it’s the [name]German[/name] and French spelling. I’m part French and [name]German[/name], so I like the significance of that for me. :slight_smile: It might be a nice nod to your heritage, too, if you have any [name]German[/name] or French in you (or your husband…). :slight_smile:

[name]Elisabeth[/name]/[name]Elizabeth[/name] is so versatile, though–I think you could easily say, “Oh, we call her _____” if people try and call her [name]Lizzie[/name]… There’s [name]Elle[/name], [name]Ella[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Elsie[/name], [name]Elise[/name], [name]Elisa[/name] (eh-[name]LEE[/name]-sah), [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Liza[/name], Lissy, [name]Izzy[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Libby[/name], [name]Ibby[/name], [name]Belle[/name], [name]Beth[/name], [name]Abby[/name], [name]Betty[/name], [name]Betsy[/name], [name]Bess[/name], and even for a stretch, I could see [name]Bliss[/name], [name]Tess[/name], or [name]Tilly[/name]… I think you could even use a cool nn based off the “Z” like Zippy or [name]Zizi[/name]… but I do agree–there’s just something charming about the full [name]Elisabeth[/name]/[name]Elizabeth[/name]!

[name]Elisabeth[/name] [name]Kai[/name] is lovely!

Good luck!

It really depends on if you don’t mind her going by the nn [name]Lizzy[/name]. when you spell [name]Elizabeth[/name] with a ‘Z’ people tend to try and call her [name]LIzzy[/name]. but when it’s spelled with an ‘S’ people have a harder time trying to give her a nn

• [name]Evelyn[/name]

I prefer [name]Elisabeth[/name]. I think the ‘s’ gives it a softer look and more feminine feel. I also adore the nn [name]Lissie[/name]!

I definitely prefer [name]Elisabeth[/name].

[name]Elisabeth[/name] is my favourite way to spell it :slight_smile: Such a lovely name!

I like both spellings. I used to prefer [name]Elisabeth[/name], but now I think I like [name]Elizabeth[/name] more - probably in part because of [name]Elisabeth[/name] Hasselbeck on The View, whom I can’t stand, but mostly because the “z” makes it seem stronger. If you want to keep her from being called [name]Lizzie[/name], you can either pick another nickname you like better (the previous poster’s list is great, but isn’t even all the possibilities!) or simply state firmly, “No, it’s just [name]Elizabeth[/name].”

I also prefer [name]Elisabeth[/name]. Probably because one of the coolest little kids I know has the name with that spelling. Her full name is [name]Elisabeth[/name] [name]Lillian[/name], but when she was a baby her older brother had trouble saying “[name]Elisabeth[/name]” and it came out “[name]Lilly[/name] [name]Beth[/name]”, which is her nickname to this day. I adore it.

I like [name]Elizabeth[/name] best. Or [name]Isabel[/name].

Definitely [name]Elizabeth[/name].

I love both, but prefer [name]Elisabeth[/name].

I prefer [name]Elizabeth[/name]. It seems to be the more traditional of the two I think and [name]Elisabeth[/name] will likely just create spelling mistakes for her as she grows up.

[name]Elizabeth[/name] as a full name is lovely, and you’re so right, I don’t think it’s actually heard all that often either! I’ve met lots of [name]Liz[/name]'s and [name]Beth[/name]'s, but only ever 1 [name]Elizabeth[/name]! I think the [name]Elizabeth[/name] spelling seems strong and spunky, while the [name]Elisabeth[/name] spelling is pretty and feminine (both have great qualities, they’re just different!) Choose the one you love best for your daughter and don’t worry so much about the nickname thing. I think that once your friends and family understand that you intend to call her [name]Elizabeth[/name], then [name]Elizabeth[/name] she will be! [name]Just[/name] have patience with people and be persistent about your choice (because really… how hard is it to say [name]Elizabeth[/name]???)

Wow thanks for all the feedback guys! I do think I’m just gonna push her full name, I’ve already got the hubby on board :slight_smile:

and @lori its funny you should mention the name [name]Victoria[/name]… I actually pushed that at first but got vetoed. Hubby said it reminded him of [name]Victoria[/name]'s [name]Secret[/name]. If we do have another girl in the future I’m definitely going to give [name]Victoria[/name] another shot lol