Which do you prefer?

See the results of this poll: Which middle name best suits Ambrose?

Respondents: 52 (This poll is closed)

• Ambrose George : 7 (13%)
  • Ambrose River : 4 (8%)
  • Ambrose Clay : 7 (13%)
  • Ambrose Gray : 25 (48%)
  • Ambrose West: 9 (17%)

[name]Ambrose[/name] [name]Gray[/name] is amazing. It has a poetic ring to it. I love it!

Honestly, these all sound good. If you’re trying to match the style of [name]Ambrose[/name], [name]George[/name] is best; if you want style contrast, [name]Clay[/name]; best sound, [name]Gray[/name]; best image, [name]West[/name]. I like [name]River[/name] with it, too, but it sounds like a river name on a map (a well-named river!)

I think my vote goes to [name]Ambrose[/name] [name]West[/name]. Something about it excites me. The boyish, visionary [name]West[/name] nicely sets off the softer, more sedate, British-sounding [name]Ambrose[/name]. And since [name]Ambrose[/name] means “immortal,” the meaning “immortal west” can conjure up all kinds of Arthurian or Tolkien-inspired images of [name]Avalon[/name], Valinor, the isles of the blessed…:slight_smile:

Best wishes!

I voted [name]Ambrose[/name] [name]Gray[/name] because I like the sound the best, even though I’m not a huge fan of [name]Gray[/name] since it’s very popular right now.

My second choice would be [name]Ambrose[/name] [name]George[/name]

[name]Clay[/name] and [name]Gray[/name] are my favorites. Slight leaning toward [name]Clay[/name].

@auroradawn: I hadn’t considered meaning combinations… adds a whole other layer to explore!

I try not to go overboard playing with meanings and meaning combinations, but this aspect sure is fun! For example, I have [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Nicodemus[/name] in my Top Ten. [name]Joseph[/name] means “He [God] will add;” [name]Nicodemus[/name] means “victorious people” or “people’s victory”–so I like to think that, together, the combination could mean “He will add victory to the people.” Pretty cool.

1 [name]Ambrose[/name] [name]West[/name]
2 [name]Ambrose[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
3 [name]Ambrose[/name] [name]George[/name]

I voted for [name]Ambrose[/name] [name]Gray[/name], but [name]George[/name] was a second close. I think a “G” name sounds really good with it. I don’t know why, but [name]George[/name] wasn’t working quite as well as I wanted it to. For some reason I’m wanting to pair it up with [name]Gregory[/name]. I don’t think any of them are bad with it. I’d be the least likely to use [name]River[/name] though. I think that’s a tricky name, because it does sound like you’re referencing an “[name]Ambrose[/name] [name]River[/name]”.

@thompssn: It’s interesting you say that, because I had the same feeling! I kept being drawn to [name]Gregory[/name] and [name]Gordon[/name], but I’m just not a fan of either name. [name]Gray[/name] seemed to be the only hard G name that fit ([name]George[/name] has the J sound, which is probably why it doesn’t fit the bill as well). [name]Gray[/name] led me to [name]Clay[/name], which is a family name.

[name]Ambrose[/name] [name]Gray[/name] is incredibly handsome! It’s a winner, I think.