Which "Gwen" do you prefer?

See the results of this poll: Which "Gwen"?

Respondents: 56 (This poll is closed)

• Gwendolyn Agnes Buchanan : 26 (46%)
  • Gwyneth Althea Buchanan: 30 (54%)

I prefer [name]Gwyneth[/name] in general but particularly in your case since your last name has 3-syllables and ends in “n” I would not pick a first name with 3-syllables also ending in “n”.

I like [name]Althea[/name] but the “th” sounds in [name]Gwyneth[/name] and [name]Althea[/name] are very close together making it a little hard to say.

[name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Buchanan[/name] (or even [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Buchanan[/name]) are too matchy in sound. I think [name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Althea[/name] is pretty and flows well with your surname. I don’t think an “A” middle name is the ideal choice with [name]Gwyneth[/name] because the “th” blends into vowels but here are some suggestions.

[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Antonia[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Ada[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Arielle[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Avery[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Aileen[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Aria[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Amabel[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]

I agree with this. I like [name]Althea[/name], but it doesn’t work that well with [name]Gwyneth[/name]. What about [name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Agnes[/name]? I chose [name]Gwyneth[/name] because I like the meaning better. They are both nice though. And Gyneth [name]Althea[/name] is fine too. People aren’t going to say her first and middle name together that often, so if you prefer [name]Althea[/name] go with it. Flow can be a little overrated :wink:

I agree that a 2-syllable name sounds better with [name]Buchanan[/name], but I picked [name]Gwendolyn[/name] because I think the natural nickname for [name]Gwyneth[/name] is really [name]Gwyn[/name], not [name]Gwen[/name]. (To me they sound quite different – I know in a lot of regions they are pronounced almost exactly the same.)

But [name]Gweneth[/name] is also commonly used (I know two little ones), and might be an equally good choice. Gwenllian is another Welsh name that I absolutely love. [name]Gwenna[/name] or [name]Gwenda[/name] are also really cute.

@ l in boston- [name]How[/name] is Gwenllian pronounced? Thanks!

Well, if you were actually speaking Welsh, it would sound like this:

:slight_smile:

But I am told that in English the most correct pronunciation is something like gwen-HLEE-an. You could also easily get away with gwen-[name]LEE[/name]-an, because those Welsh double-L’s are hard to say for most of us! (Here’s an interesting post about the name’s background: Bewitching Names: Gwenllian )

I absolutely love [name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Agnes[/name]! I was going to say I think I slightly prefer [name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Althea[/name], even though it’s not an option, but I changed my mind! I absolutely love [name]Gwendolyn[/name], and [name]Agnes[/name], and they’re perfect together. I think [name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Buchanan[/name] might sound better than [name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Buchanan[/name], but the flow issues are so minute that I wouldn’t worry about it. :slight_smile:

I also love [name]Gwenore[/name]… not sure if that’s something that would interest you. Part [name]Lenore[/name], part [name]Gwendolen[/name], in feel, to me, anyway. :slight_smile:

Ok I’m really loving these other “[name]Gwen[/name]” suggestions! I love both [name]Gwenore[/name] & Gwenllian. I’ve also come across Gweneira & Gwynneve on my internet search. Are there any of these you berries think best fit with my surname, [name]Buchanan[/name]?

[name]How[/name] do you say Gweneira (gwen-[name]AIR[/name]-uh?) and Gwynneve ([name]Gwin[/name]-EEV?)? I like [name]Gwenore[/name] more than the two of those, but I’m not sure which I prefer out of [name]Gwenore[/name] [name]Buchanan[/name] and [name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Buchanan[/name]. I usually end up liking [name]Gwendolyn[/name] more, but I really like [name]Gwenore[/name] for you! I think something like [name]Gwenore[/name] [name]Althea[/name] [name]Buchanan[/name] would be so beautiful.

Good luck!

I prefer [name]Guinevere[/name] to either of the names, but both [name]Gwendolyn[/name] and [name]Gwyneth[/name] are lovely. [name]Gwendolyn[/name] has more nickname options ("[name]Gwen[/name]", “[name]Wendy[/name]”, “[name]Lynn[/name]”).

@[name]Ash[/name]- Yes, that is how I’m pronouncing both names in my head. I’m especially intrigued by [name]Gwyneira[/name]. [name]Gwenora[/name] [name]Althea[/name] is extremely lovely, that just might be a contender!

@uniquenamelover- I, too, prefer [name]Guinevere[/name] but hubby says it’s too much. I actually strongly dislike both [name]Wendy[/name] and [name]Lynn[/name], so that is actually leaning me more towards [name]Gwyneth[/name]!