Which is better?

See the results of this poll: Which is better as a middle name?

Respondents: 9 (This poll is closed)

• Macintosh (boy): 4 (44%)
  • Apple (girl): 5 (56%)

I voted Macintosh- he could at least go by [name]Mack[/name], which I think is actually kind of cute. And Macintosh is bizarre sounding, but at least it’s not a common noun. But what kind of a nickname could you give to [name]Apple[/name]? App?

Well, quite frankly, I prefer Windows as a middle name…

Lol I prefer [name]Apple[/name] as a middle name. I’ve always been a [name]Mac[/name] girl, so either Macintosh or [name]Apple[/name] would be cool. I’d have to name one kid Windows and the other [name]Apple[/name], just so that they’re constantly competing. Haha.
So, yeah, I like [name]Apple[/name].

Oh wait, I totally missed the middle name thing! But I’m sticking with Macintosh- it at least sounds like a name.

I didn’t vote because I actually [name]Ike[/name] both! ducks for cover… Safe? Well, yeah, I think [name]Apple[/name] is cute and I’ve thought about using it as a middle name to honor my grandma! I’ve also considered Macintosh because my husband so wants a little [name]Mac[/name] and that’s the only name I like for it. Frankly, I wish both of those were accepted as names because I think they’ve both got nice sounds and a fresh feeling. And why would [name]Apple[/name] need a nickname? It’s only two syllables and two easy to say syllables at that!

Actually, seriously, what is so terrible about [name]Apple[/name] that everyone hates it so much? I’ve seen so many much stranger names that people seem to think are perfectly fine (I’m looking at you [name]Clover[/name], [name]Marigold[/name], [name]Magnolia[/name], [name]Zinnia[/name], [name]Clementine[/name] and Tigerlilly!). I’m not saying I don’t like those names, I actually love a couple of them, but the sounds and looks and overall connotations seem so much more out there to me than [name]Apple[/name], yet they are all endorsed on the boards…

Oh wow, I hadn’t even thought of the electrical goods connections! [name]Just[/name] to clarify that I’m not deciding what type of computer to name my child after, Macintosh is a family surname for me which died out a couple of generations back (in my more immediate family, there are still plenty of people with the surname Macintosh). The idea of using it has grown on me, but … he’s a waterproof garment. And ‘tosh’ is a term for ‘nonsense’.

I was actually looking at a recipe when I saw that it called for “Macintosh apples”, and I was immediately hit by the idea of using [name]Apple[/name] as a subtle nod to the name. On one side, though, I think [name]Apple[/name] is a little frivolous. The other side of me yells that I’m a massive hypocrite for liking names like Coriander, [name]Plum[/name], [name]Juniper[/name] and [name]Ginger[/name], and even flower names, which should technically seem no less frivolous than [name]Apple[/name]. I’m torn! There is also the added problem of the purveyors of all i-things, and of [name]Apple[/name] being such a well-known celebrity name, and it always seems to be the example given when proving that celebrities pick ridiculous names. Gah.

Thank you all for your opinions! It’s much appreciated, as always :smiley:
[name]Auburn[/name]