Which is your favorite? Looking for new ideas/feedback!

I love a lot of common names, but I’ve always really liked having a more unique name myself–so when it comes to realistic possibilities for future kids, I want to branch into some more unusual options. I’ve done some brainstorming of names that remind me of old favorites of mine, and so far I’ve found a couple that I really like. I’d love to hear your thoughts on my current front-runners (it changes day to day, haha), plus more suggestions if you have any! (I’m in the U.S., for style/popularity reference—I know this varies a lot place to place).

[name_f]Edie[/name_f]—I love that it’s familiar but very underused, old-fashioned but fits right in with current favorites like [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] and [name_f]Evie[/name_f] (imo), and packs a lot of personality into a short-and-sweet package. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think this name is ready for revival? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it can stand on its own? I don’t really like any of the full-name possibilities I’ve thought of so far ([name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_u]Eden[/name_u], [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], etc.), so I’m thinking I would use it as a full.

[name_u]Remi[/name_u]/[name_u]Romy[/name_u]—Which of these do you prefer? I like both, but seem to go back and forth between them. I know [name_u]Remi[/name_u] is more common, but it still feels distinctive enough to me. I love [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] as a full for [name_u]Romy[/name_u] but can’t use it, so both of these would probably be stand-alones.

[name_f]Zelie[/name_f]/Zellie—Which do you prefer? [name_m]How[/name_m] would you pronounce them? I think I prefer rhyming with [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] or [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] for pronunciation (I’m not sure which, so open to opinions on that too!); how would you spell this name to make one of those pronunciations intuitive?

Let me know what you think! [name_m]How[/name_m] would you rank them? What would you add to this list? I’m liking names that are underused but don’t feel completely unrecognizable/“out there,” although obviously that’s very subjective!

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Here are my thoughts-

[name_f]Edie[/name_f]-I agree that this is a fun old fashioned name, but the sound of it fits right into modern naming styles. I personally find it too nick-namey, & like it for a nn for [name_f]Edith[/name_f]. But what do you think of [name_f]Eudora[/name_f] nn [name_f]Edie[/name_f]?

[name_u]Remi[/name_u]/[name_u]Romy[/name_u]-I’m not a huge fan of either, because I quite like [name_u]Remy[/name_u] for a boy. [name_u]Romy[/name_u] is more distinctive though, so that would get my vote. It’s cute as a nn for [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], but if you can’t use it it’s fine as a stand alone. I would spell [name_u]Remy[/name_u] like this though. The ‘i’ ending seems like less of a stand alone name to me.

[name_f]Zelie[/name_f]/Zellie-I think that I’d say ‘[name_m]Zell[/name_m]-ee’ for both of these. [name_f]Zelie[/name_f] looks nicer. I like this better as a nn too for [name_f]Zella[/name_f]. But if you wanted it pronounced ‘Zay-lee’, you could do it as a nn for [name_f]Azalea[/name_f]. Oh, actually [name_f]Zella[/name_f] is a [name_m]German[/name_m] form of [name_f]Marcella[/name_f]. So, maybe [name_f]Marcella[/name_f] nn [name_f]Zelie[/name_f] (zell-ee)?

Here are a few more suggestions-

[name_f]Adela[/name_f]

[name_f]Adelie[/name_f]

[name_f]Annis[/name_f]

[name_f]Anais[/name_f]

[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]/[name_f]Bea[/name_f]/[name_f]Bess[/name_f]/[name_f]Bette[/name_f]/[name_f]Trixie[/name_f]

[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]

[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]-Gaelic said ‘eye-lee’

[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]/[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]

[name_f]Gerty[/name_f]! Or [name_f]Greta[/name_f]/[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] nn [name_f]Gerty[/name_f].

[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]/[name_f]Georgina[/name_f]/[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] nn [name_u]Georgie[/name_u]

[name_f]Hattie[/name_f]

Ibbi…[name_f]Isobel[/name_f]/[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] nn Ibbi?

Idgie as a nn for [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] or [name_f]Isolde[/name_f]?

[name_u]Kit[/name_u]/[name_f]Kitty[/name_f] maybe as a nn for [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] or [name_f]Katia[/name_f]

[name_f]Lula[/name_f] maybe as a nn for [name_f]Eloisa[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Luciana[/name_f], [name_f]Tallula[/name_f]

[name_f]Maisy[/name_f] maybe as a nn for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Maureen[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] or [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]

[name_f]Miri[/name_f] maybe as a nn for [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f], [name_f]Mirabella[/name_f], [name_f]Miranda[/name_f]

[name_f]Nellie[/name_f] maybe as a nn for [name_f]Ellen[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f], [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]

[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]

[name_f]Olive[/name_f]/[name_f]Livy[/name_f]

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]

[name_f]Polly[/name_f] or [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] or [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] nn [name_f]Polly[/name_f]

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] nn [name_u]Penny[/name_u]

[name_f]Posey[/name_f] or [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] or [name_f]Josephina[/name_f] nn [name_f]Posey[/name_f]/[name_f]Posy[/name_f]

[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]/[name_f]Ruthie[/name_f]

[name_u]Romilly[/name_u]

[name_f]Sally[/name_f] or [name_f]Salome[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] or [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] nn [name_f]Sally[/name_f]

[name_f]Tula[/name_f] or [name_f]Tullia[/name_f]/[name_f]Tallula[/name_f] nn [name_f]Tula[/name_f]

[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]/Zinny

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Zelie[/name_f], glad to see someone considering it. I like it on its own, but also as a nickname for Azelie, [name_f]Azalea[/name_f], or [name_f]Hazel[/name_f].

[name_f]Edie[/name_f] is lovely, but I do think she needs a full name to ground her.

I agree with @jonquils that [name_u]Romy[/name_u] has an odd sound, and I prefer [name_u]Remy[/name_u] with a y (though I really prefer [name_u]Remy[/name_u] for a boy!).

1 Like

[name_f]Edie[/name_f]- Beautiful nn. Embodies the spirit of 2020 very well- short and sweet vintage chic! I like [name_f]Edith[/name_f] best as a full name. Then, [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]. I’ve never really liked [name_u]Eden[/name_u], but it would work well.

I like [name_u]Remi[/name_u] better as a stand-alone. I do like [name_u]Romy[/name_u] though as a nn for [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], but if you can’t use it, maybe: [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], [name_f]Rosemarie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalyn[/name_f], [name_f]Rosaleen[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]

I like Zellie more, it looks more complete. Instinctually, I would pronounce it has rhyming with [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], but I do like the sound of rhyming with [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] too. Some spellings to rhyme with [name_u]Bailey[/name_u]: [name_f]Zaylie[/name_f], [name_m]Zailey[/name_m], Zayli, Zalle

I would rank these in order of preference as you listed them, actually: 1.) [name_f]Edie[/name_f] 2.) [name_u]Remi[/name_u] 3.) [name_u]Romy[/name_u] 4.)Zellie 5.) [name_f]Zelie[/name_f]

Some suggestions that remind me or your style:
[name_f]Zoey[/name_f], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Carolina[/name_f] ([name_u]Caro[/name_u], [name_f]Lina[/name_f])
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f] ([name_f]Emmie[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f])
[name_f]Annika[/name_f], [name_f]Angelica[/name_f], [name_f]Angelina[/name_f], [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] ([name_f]Annie[/name_f], [name_f]Ana[/name_f])
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosemarie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalyn[/name_f], [name_f]Rosaleen[/name_f] ([name_f]Rosie[/name_f])
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] ([name_f]Cat[/name_f], [name_f]Cate[/name_f], [name_f]Kat[/name_f], [name_f]Katie[/name_f])
[name_f]Katharina[/name_f], [name_f]Catharina[/name_f], [name_f]Katerina[/name_f], [name_f]Katrina[/name_f], [name_f]Katerina[/name_f] ([name_f]Kat[/name_f], [name_f]Cat[/name_f], [name_f]Rina[/name_f], [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Cate[/name_f], [name_f]Katie[/name_f], or Caty)

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] these!

I’d rank them

[name_u]Romy[/name_u]
[name_f]Edie[/name_f]
[name_u]Remi[/name_u]
[name_f]Zelie[/name_f]

Some similar suggestions could be
[name_f]Effie[/name_f]
[name_f]Etta[/name_f]
[name_f]Polly[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f]
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Bonnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Betsy[/name_f]
[name_u]Billie[/name_u]
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f]
[name_f]Susie[/name_f]

1 Like

I have [name_f]Edie[/name_f] and [name_u]Romy[/name_u] on my shortlist! So I’m a big fan of both of them. I love that they are strong and sweet at the same time!
I had [name_u]Remy[/name_u] on my girls list but I read some people had strong opinions on it being a boys name in [name_f]France[/name_f] which steered me away from it. I do have it on my long list for boys.
I also had [name_f]Zelie[/name_f] on my list before but I also got confused with pronunciation. I like the Zellie spelling to rhyme with [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. During my search I found most said [name_f]Zelie[/name_f] spelling rhymes with [name_u]Bailey[/name_u]. It is a lovely name!

Ranked in order:
[name_f]Edie[/name_f]
[name_u]Romy[/name_u]
[name_f]Zelie[/name_f]
[name_u]Remi[/name_u]
Zellie

1 Like

[name_f]Edie[/name_f] is my favorite but unfortunately ‘eating disorder’ is abbreviated to ‘ED’ and I can’t shake that connotation

[name_f]May[/name_f]

[name_f]Nell[/name_f]/[name_f]Nellie[/name_f]

[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]

[name_f]Tillie[/name_f]/[name_f]Tilly[/name_f]

[name_f]Thea[/name_f]

[name_u]June[/name_u]

[name_f]Eve[/name_f]

[name_f]Zadie[/name_f]

[name_f]Maren[/name_f]

1 Like

Thank you all for so many thoughtful comments and suggestions so far! I really appreciate the feedback.

@jonquils I like your idea of looking into other long forms for [name_u]Romy[/name_u]! I’m aware of but not super familiar with [name_f]Zelie[/name_f]’s saint connection–I’ll have to do some more research into that!

@MichelleM I really appreciate your honest feedback! I really like [name_f]Adelie[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] et. al., [name_f]Hattie[/name_f], [name_f]Lula[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], and [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]/[name_f]Ruthie[/name_f] from your suggestions.

@QuirkFlower Thank you so much for your comment! I had never thought of [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] as a full name for [name_f]Zelie[/name_f], but I’m really intrigued by that.

@IrinaNicolaStrong Such a great description of [name_f]Edie[/name_f]–thank you! I love several of your full-name-for-[name_u]Romy[/name_u] suggestions, especially [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]. I’m also have a soft spot for [name_f]Emmie[/name_f] and [name_f]Annie[/name_f] from your new suggestions.

@Greyblue So many great suggestions! I love [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lumi[/name_f], and [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] and [name_f]Etta[/name_f] have been growing on me!

@Gabriellenz Totally agree about [name_f]Edie[/name_f] and [name_u]Romy[/name_u]! I hear you about the potential issue with [name_u]Remy[/name_u] being more of a boys’ name traditionally/to a lot of people. And [name_f]Zelie[/name_f]/Zellie is definitely tricky pronunciation-wise; thanks for your feedback on that!

@Babies123456 Oof, I hadn’t thought of that association for [name_f]Edie[/name_f]. I can see how that would affect your perception of it. I’m drawn to [name_f]Tillie[/name_f] and [name_f]Thea[/name_f] from your suggestions!

[name_f]Edie[/name_f] is adorbs!

1 Like

[name_f]Edie[/name_f] is my favourite! I love it.

Out of [name_u]Romy[/name_u] & [name_u]Remi[/name_u] I definitely prefer [name_u]Romy[/name_u], [name_u]Remi[/name_u] feels masculine to me. [name_u]Romilly[/name_u] is my favourite long version of [name_u]Romy[/name_u], or it could even be a nickname for [name_u]Rome[/name_u].

I would pronounce [name_f]Zelie[/name_f] and Zellie slightly differently - I would pronounce [name_f]Zelie[/name_f] like zee-lee (rhymes with [name_m]Sealy[/name_m]) and Zellie like zell-lee (rhymes with [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]). I like Zellie the best out of these two but I prefer [name_f]Edie[/name_f] and [name_u]Romy[/name_u] overall.

1 Like

@voughtlori Thank you for your vote for [name_f]Edie[/name_f]–I completely agree!

@floatinthesky I really appreciate this feedback! Totally see your point about [name_u]Remi[/name_u], that seems to be a common theme on this thread which is very helpful for me to see. And thanks for your comment about [name_f]Zelie[/name_f]/Zellie pronunciation–definitely something to think about!

It seems like you like names that are nickname-like and end with the sound “ee”!

Instead of [name_u]Remi[/name_u]/[name_u]Romy[/name_u] (although I like [name_u]Remi[/name_u] better) might I suggest [name_u]Rory[/name_u] or [name_u]Remy[/name_u]?

Zellie is the spelling that will probably make people think of “[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]” with a Z at the beginning, making this easy to pronounce.

[name_f]Edie[/name_f] is super cute!

Out of these names, I like [name_f]Edie[/name_f] the best, I would probably like [name_u]Remy[/name_u]/[name_u]Rory[/name_u] (I like the spelling of these better) for a more androgenous name, and Zellie is nice but not my favorite on the list.

Similar names might be [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Celie[/name_f], [name_u]Marie[/name_u], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], [name_f]Imani[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], and [name_f]Maisie[/name_f].

1 Like

I love [name_f]Zalie[/name_f]/[name_f]Zelie[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Azalea[/name_f]! All of those names ([name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_u]Remi[/name_u], [name_u]Romy[/name_u], [name_f]Zelie[/name_f], Zellie) seem like nicknames to me, but all are cute nicknames. I know you prefer them as standalone though, in which case [name_f]Edie[/name_f] seems the most complete.

1 Like

I feel for stand alone names the only one I personally could see working would be [name_f]Zelie[/name_f] however on my own I would have never arrived at it being pronounced in a way that rhymes with [name_u]Bailey[/name_u]. To get there I would likely go for [name_f]Zaylie[/name_f], [name_f]Zaylee[/name_f] or my favorite Zayleigh. The others I feel could all work as cute nicknames for other names… most of my full. name suggestions and more have already been mentioned

1 Like

@almostactually I do like nickname-like names! Often my problem is that I love a nickname-name, but would prefer it with a full and don’t much like any of the logical options. Anyway, you gave so many great suggestions–I especially like [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Celie[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. Thank you so much!

@sunflowerbelle I can definitely see what you mean about all of them seeming like nicknames! Thanks for your vote for [name_f]Azalea[/name_f]!

@Alix2016 I’m actually totally with you that I wouldn’t have gotten to a pronunciation rhyming with [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] from looking at [name_f]Zelie[/name_f]–I didn’t even have the idea in my mind until I had done some reading about the name! It seems like people pronounce it a few different ways. Thank you for your thoughtful comment!