which medieval combo for Robin?

See the results of this poll: Which is your favourite?

Respondents: 47 (This poll is closed)

• Robin Ashley Cadfael : 19 (40%)
  • Robin Humphrey Everard: 28 (60%)

I voted for [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] [name_m]Everard[/name_m] because [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] doesn’t sound very medieval to me. I really love [name_u]Robin[/name_u].

[name_m]How[/name_m] wonderful! [name_u]Robin[/name_u] is probably my most enduring favourite name - I’ve loved him since I was tiny. :slight_smile:

I agree that he needs a Medieval middle name to bring out all his charm, but I had a hard time choosing one of your two options. I love Cadfael with [name_u]Robin[/name_u], but [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] (while being stunning!) is such a sensitive, thoughtful name that he doesn’t match the earthy, sylvan feel I would like to accentuate in [name_u]Robin[/name_u]. Something like [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Cadfael [name_m]Yves[/name_m] or even [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Cadfael [name_u]Ash[/name_u] would be perfect.

[name_m]Everard[/name_m] is absolutely gorgeous as well, though - I’m so happy to see someone considering him! [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] [name_m]Everard[/name_m] would be more of a wise and stately take on [name_u]Robin[/name_u], while [name_u]Robin[/name_u] __ Cadfael is friendly and down-to-earth with a puckish streak.

I voted for [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] [name_m]Everard[/name_m] because [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] doesn’t seem to fit the medieval vibe you’re going for. I really love Cadfael, though!

I just really love the sound of [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] Cadfael. At first I was a little unsure but after checking your note on pronunciation definitely feel this option is my favorite.

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] to me is very whimsical and so [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] Cadfael fits that. [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] [name_m]Everard[/name_m] feels too hard beside [name_u]Robin[/name_u].

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] [name_m]Everard[/name_m] feels most cohesively medieval to me. [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] Cadfael jumps from nature name to ultra-popular 80s/90s girl’s name to medieval Welsh knight. It’s a bit disorienting.

I think [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Cadfael sounds amazing, but [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] leans strongly girl to me (even though I know they are both unisex). Because of that, I went with [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] [name_m]Everard[/name_m].

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] Cadfael is really nice - I like the softness of it. I dislike [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] and [name_m]Everard[/name_m] myself, and also, I find that combination a little too heavy for gentle little [name_u]Robin[/name_u].

I voted for [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] Cadfael. I dont’ love [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] there specifically, but I thought the combo worked better than the other option (love [name_m]Everard[/name_m], don’t love [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m]).

I voted for [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] Cadfael because…Cadfael! But I agree that [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] is the least satisfying part of that combo.
I’d prefer [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Cadfael [name_m]Everhard[/name_m] or [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] Cadfael.
If you’re open to suggestions for similarly soft names (all found in some spelling medieval sources as men’s names), how about Ashwy, [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_u]Emery[/name_u], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], Oswy, Wulfsy, Wulfric, Leofric, Leofsy?

[name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] [name_m]Everard[/name_m]? [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] [name_m]Everard[/name_m]?! Oh please!

Those two names absolutely ruin the lovely sweet nature of [name_u]Robin[/name_u].

As several others have said, I think [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] lets the [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] Cadfael combo down a bit but I still muchly prefer it to the [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] [name_m]Everard[/name_m] combo anytime anywhere.

Also, being a Welsh resident I love seeing people use any of the beautiful Welsh names that are available.

I would assume [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] was a girl.

Thank you everyone for the votes and thoughts! I’ve decided I prefer [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] Cadfael to [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] [name_m]Everard[/name_m], but will probably explore some different options in place of [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] (though I still really like it here).

In response to some replies -

@kew - I definitely agree with the earthy, Puckish feel that [name_u]Robin[/name_u] has! And I’m so glad you like [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], I think the almost ubiquitous usage for the girls has really spoilt him for lots of people. @brittanyanitarose, I kinda like the whimsy too! And @sunniva, I think I agree with you - while [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] [name_m]Everard[/name_m] does have the stately, prince-like feel @kew mentioned, he kinda swamps [name_u]Robin[/name_u] a bit.

@moonstone, @pacifica, @wandsworth, and @books_and_tea - [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] feels very ancient-woodsy and gentlemanly to me, a mix of its Anglo-[name_m]Saxon[/name_m] surname roots and [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] [name_m]Wilkes[/name_m] from Gone With the Wind. Which is why I think he contributes to the medieval feel. :stuck_out_tongue: But I can understand the 80s girl name hang-up, even if I disagree with it!

@onomastodon - Thanks for the suggestions! That’s just the feel I’d like to go for. I actually love, love, love the sound of [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] Cadfael - he may just be the perfect fit! - but I already have [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] on my list as a FN ([name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] Llŷr) and I don’t know whether I’m willing to give that up.

@merlynhawk - I guess I see a looooot more in [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] [name_m]Everard[/name_m] than you do! But I like the opinionated thing going on here. :stuck_out_tongue: I wasn’t sure about Cadfael at first because it seems very tied to the Brother Cadfael series (which I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u]) but it appears to have an existence outside of those, so . . .

@dream.create and @dawnk - That’s my main hold-up with [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]. I really don’t want a combo where people aren’t sure whether it’s a girl’s name or a boy’s name until the very end, even though it sounds all boy to me.

I voted for [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] Cadfael because I am a HUGE fan of the Brother Cadfael series (& in fact am rereading the whole series now…up to #8, The Devil’s Novice). [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] I’m not crazy about as a medieval name, but I like it better than [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] or [name_m]Everard[/name_m], & it does have a soft sound to it & a history as a male name. As I have the Cadfael books on my mind, here are some other names from the series that might work instead of [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]:

Joscelin
[name_m]Olivier[/name_m]
Meriet
Eluard
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_u]Niall[/name_u]
Roscelin
[name_m]Alard[/name_m]
[name_m]Sulien[/name_m]

As I was skimming through the list of characters from each book, I was struck by how many of them have names that start w/R & end w/n! :slight_smile:

Cadfael! [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] seeing this on someone’s list. [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] Cadfael definitely gets my vote. I also love the suggestions of [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Cadfael [name_m]Yves[/name_m] or [name_u]Ash[/name_u].

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_m]Aylmer[/name_m]/Ailmar in the place of [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] or [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]?

@bobcat108 - I actually thought of [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Olivier[/name_m] Cadfael and quite liked it, but to have both Cadfael AND [name_m]Olivier[/name_m] in the same combo, when I get them from the same series, just seems too much to me. Great suggestion though! [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Alard[/name_m] is very striking, too.

@katinka - Cadfael seems to be a hit, which I wasn’t really expecting! Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll bear it in mind - [name_m]Aylmar[/name_m] definitely hits the medieval note!

I’m going to create another thread with the potential combos I have jostling around in my brain, and we’ll see if I can find THE one. Further help on that would be much appreciated. Thanks again for everyone’s input!