Which name for baby girl?

See the results of this poll: Which name should we call our daughter?

Respondents: 85 (This poll is closed)

• Lyra : 65 (76%)
  • Willow: 20 (24%)

Both are lovely but I just adore [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]. I think [name_u]Toby[/name_u] and [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] are fabulous together!
As I like [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] best, I think [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] is best. Also, [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] makes the L sound smush together more than [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f], I think because there are fewer other sounds in between the Ls (ly-[name_m]RA[/name_m] WIH-llow vs [name_m]Will[/name_m]-OW [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]). So [name_f]Willow[/name_f] followed by [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] just doesn’t flow as well in my opinion.
I do also think that [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_m]Birch[/name_m] is too much tree, so [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_m]Birch[/name_m] wins on that front too.

As a side, I’m totally in love with Inara!

I would avoid [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_m]Birch[/name_m]. [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] and [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] are lovely.

Once you add the last name, it HAS to be [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]!
I can’t imagine going through life named [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_m]Birch[/name_m] even as much as I love the name [name_f]Willow[/name_f]. It would cause endless comment…
What were your parents thinking?
Didn’t they notice?
Is your middle name [name_f]Maple[/name_f]?

I agree that Lyr@ works much better with the surname, for all the reasons that have been mentioned. Lyr@ B!rch is a gorgeous name.

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] for me. I adore [name_f]Willow[/name_f], but [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_m]Birch[/name_m] doesn’t really work - sorry!

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] would be stunning!

Although I like the name [name_f]Willow[/name_f], I think [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is gorgeous. It sounds so golden and musical. I just love saying it. It rolls of the tongue so pleasingly, and it sounds much better with the surname. [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_m]Birch[/name_m] is a bit much.

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] is lovely on its own and [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] is simply stunning. The flow is beautiful and much easier to say than [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f], which I find a bit awkward coming off the tongue.

With your last name, I say definitely choose [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]!

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]!! [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] is an absolutely gorgeous combo, and I agree [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] doesn’t flow as well due to the repeated L’s. [name_f]Willow[/name_f] is a lovely and sweet name too but [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] trumps it imho, when I think of it it gives me a beautiful shimmery mental image of stars

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is much prettier than [name_f]Willow[/name_f] in my opinion, but both are lovely. I also think [name_f]Willow[/name_f] would be a bit much with [name_m]Birch[/name_m] as a surname. [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] is very pretty, and [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_m]Birch[/name_m] is a good name. It also goes well with [name_u]Toby[/name_u]!

Definitely [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]…it’s beautiful in a lyrical way and fits with [name_u]Toby[/name_u]. [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_m]Birch[/name_m] is a big no-no!

Thank you all for your responses, I do worry that [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_m]Birch[/name_m] would be a bit too much, although I do love the way it sounds.

Please keep voting and sharing your opinions, they’re very helpful :slight_smile:

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] [name_m]Birch[/name_m] is lovely!!! Fabulous!

Although [name_f]Willow[/name_f] is lovely, I agree that it just doesn’t fit with your surname, [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] however is just so gorgeous and gives me a wonderful image of a starry eyed graceful dancing girl/ woman and I think [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is lovely with [name_u]Toby[/name_u].

I think [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is beautiful and I prefer it regardless of your surname. I dont think the tree thing is necessarily a huge deal if you [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the name… and theres a good chance she may marry and change her surname anyway. Still… I would go with [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] personally.