Which name would you pick in my shoes?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone! I’d love to get some opinions on [name_m]Asher[/name_m] and [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] nn [name_u]Ash[/name_u] for a boy. Are they too trendy? Too popular? I really love both names lately, but I’m worried they’ll be very dated eventually. I’m not sure if that would bother me enough not to use them, but it’s a definite con. [name_m]Asher[/name_m] at least has been in use forever and is biblical - I’m not religious but DH is and I appreciate that the name is legitimate and has history. It’s just experiencing a popularity spike at the moment, but the million dollar question is how high will its popularity rise? I don’t mind there being other Ashers in his school, but I wouldn’t want him to be one of 3 in a classroom.

I prefer [name_m]Asher[/name_m] over [name_u]Ashton[/name_u], and I think a lot of berries would agree. My biggest hang up with [name_m]Asher[/name_m] is definitely my surname: it’s three syllables starting with Stren–. [name_m]Asher[/name_m] Stren-- has that kind of mushy “shhshh” sound in the middle that I don’t like, but I’m having trouble tossing my favorite name over it. What do you think? [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] doesn’t run together with my last name so much and solves that problem, although I don’t think the st in [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] followed by the St in my surname is 100% ideal either.

The other good thing about [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] is I like it with [name_u]River[/name_u] as a mn. [name_m]Asher[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u] doesn’t work, and [name_u]River[/name_u] has a lot of meaning for us. I don’t have a middle for [name_m]Asher[/name_m] that I’m dying to use. I like [name_m]Asher[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] but I don’t feel the connection to [name_m]William[/name_m] that I do to [name_u]River[/name_u]. I just don’t like [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] quite as much as [name_m]Asher[/name_m]…but then again [name_m]Asher[/name_m] isn’t great with my last name.

I also worry that [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] will be too strongly seen as a girl’s name in the future. I’m ok with unisex names, as long as the name is more heavily used for that gender. [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] and [name_u]River[/name_u] are both more commonly used for boys, but if you were to see the name on paper would you personally think girl or boy? I’m considering using a third, definitively masculine name in there to clarify but I’d rather not do two middles if most people assume it’s a boy name anyway.

Sigh, I keep going back and forth between [name_m]Asher[/name_m] and [name_u]Ashton[/name_u]. I’d love to get some impartial opinions! Thank you all!

I’d pick [name_m]Asher[/name_m] if I were in your position. It’s a hard decision though.

I don’t think [name_m]Asher[/name_m] has too much of a “shhshh” thing going on with your surname. [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] on the other hand makes me feel like a skipping record. I don’t particularly like the “shton stren” bit.

Regarding middle names I like [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] [name_u]River[/name_u] quite a bit. If you’re okay with two middle names though you could pop in a name between [name_m]Asher[/name_m] and [name_u]River[/name_u] (ex. [name_m]Asher[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u] Stren—)

[name_m]Asher[/name_m] feels biblical and classic to me and [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] feels trendier, a la [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] Kutcher. To me, the clear winner is [name_m]Asher[/name_m] and either way you get the nn [name_u]Ash[/name_u].

I like [name_m]Asher[/name_m] as it has a long history. It is fashionable at the moment but shouldn’t fall out of fashion because it is such an old name. [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] in my opinion is trendy and will become dated. I do think of it as male, and the same with [name_u]River[/name_u] so [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] [name_u]River[/name_u] to me says boy but as both are considered unisex I guess it could be a little ambiguous

I prefer [name_m]Asher[/name_m] too.

[name_m]Asher[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] is a gorgeous combo, and I’d definitely place a preferred first name over a preferred combo

I would pick [name_m]Asher[/name_m] and choose another middle besides [name_u]River[/name_u].

My thoughts exactly. [name_m]Asher[/name_m] is the clear front-runner here for me. Also, as to a combo, I’m with others before me as to [name_m]Asher[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u], which is lovely.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] another vote of confidence in [name_m]Asher[/name_m], and I agree with PP about finding another middle to go between [name_m]Asher[/name_m] and [name_u]River[/name_u]. [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] to me is a surname because I knew a family with this name, and while I don’t mind some surnames as firsts, [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] just doesn’t measure up to the gorgeous [name_m]Asher[/name_m].

Although, I like [name_m]Asher[/name_m] more, [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] is not a terrible choice. I feel for you in the dilemma of wanting to use the middle name [name_u]River[/name_u]. In my opinion, giving two middle names is not the best solution unless you were originally intending to do that. Having two middles will complicate filling out certain forms and longer names can be a challenge, such as trying to fit them on family tree charts. If I were you, I’d give up [name_u]River[/name_u] and choose a different middle name. But, go with your heart.

I strongly prefer Asher to Ashton. If you really want River as a middle name, I would say pick something completely different or a different middle name like:

Dallas River
Declan River
Felix River
Asher Elliott
Asher Miles
Asher Ramsey

Really like [name_m]Asher[/name_m], really dislike [name_u]Ashton[/name_u], especially with the Stren- sound in your surname. If I saw [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] [name_u]River[/name_u], honestly I would be unsure whether it was male or female.

[name_m]Asher[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] is lovely; [name_m]Asher[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u] is also very handsome and the unusual second middle gives it a nice twist as both of the other names are fairly popular. I think [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] [name_u]River[/name_u], with no classic second middle to balance it out, just sounds trendy and will date badly.

Personally I’d probably go with [name_m]Asher[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u] since you sound so set on [name_u]River[/name_u] as a middle name. I don’t think it will be a problem for forms etc. as the names aren’t too long. If you’re worried that you’ll have to give future children two middles as well, I don’t think that’s the case - I have two mns but my two brothers both have just the one and we’ve never even given it a thought.

I prefer [name_m]Asher[/name_m]. I don’t see it as having issues with your last name. And I think it definitely sounds masculine. Yeah, you would have to find a different middle name than [name_u]River[/name_u] though. But I’m sure if you thought about bodies of water you could find something else. What about [name_m]Asher[/name_m] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]? Sure, [name_m]Asher[/name_m] is a little trendy but I don’t find it overly so and I don’t personally know any little Ashers. I find it really adorable on a little boy but also dashing on a grown man.