Which of these do you use to create good sibsets? Choose as many as you like.

See the results of this poll: Which of these sibset criteria do you use?

Respondents: 82 (This poll is closed)

• Different or same first letters : 38 (13%)
  • Same/similar ancestry : 23 (8%)
  • Same/similar length : 34 (12%)
  • All or neither end in -a : 3 (1%)
  • Similar popularity : 30 (11%)
  • Neither or all are nicknames : 21 (7%)
  • Neither or all are honor names : 15 (5%)
  • Similar images for each name : 32 (11%)
  • They flow well together : 69 (24%)
  • All from the same era: 18 (6%)

Ideally, names for me would conjure up a similar image or feel and would flow relatively well but it hasnt happened for me. My oldest is 9 and has a popular name. My younger one has a name in the top 300, but we have never come across another one (shes almost 5), both of a similar style, so they flow decently enough, but my sons is definitely more popular, both first and middles.

I only picked ‘They flow well together’ from your list. Another criteria that is important to me is that the names don’t share too many sounds.

For example, no sisters named [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Lila[/name_f]. They share the long i sound and both end in a.
However, [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f] would be fine.

Ultimately, if my husband and I can agree on a name, that is the most important criteria haha

I believe the agreeing with husband part. At this point, I am naming for fun rather than real children. I remember blanching when I saw both husband 1 and husband 2’s baby lists! :slight_smile:

Interesting poll!

I prefer to avoid repeating first initials, and ideally I’d like different end sounds too (though I’m not super-strict on either of these points).

I’d also prefer a similar length and/or feel, so very long and elaborate names like my husband’s top picks ([name_f]Persephone[/name_f], [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f], [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]) are off the shortlist even though I do really like them. They just don’t sound like sisters to our two. I’m pretty strict on this but I suppose I could be swayed for a name I really loved (eg. [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] is a bit longer than I usually go for but it’s still quirky and fun, and firmly on the shortlist!)

I don’t mind about matching origin or era as long as the names sound good together; I have favourites from all over!

I’d like to avoid matching initials (which is hard because most of my favourite names begin with E for BOTH genders!!!) I’d also like them to either all have nicknames or none have nicknames. I might factor in length too, but thats not a big deal. I just don’t want three kids with 4 or 5 letter names and one with a 7 letter name.

I’m surprised that the fewest poll-takers were influenced by whether the names all ended with -a or did not.

I like many name endings for female names, but I’ve always wondered how a [name_f]Joanne[/name_f] might feel with sisters named [name_f]Annabella[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], and [name_f]Isadora[/name_f]. Or vice versa, a [name_f]Polly[/name_f], an [name_f]Enid[/name_f], a [name_f]Garnet[/name_f] with a [name_f]Forsythia[/name_f].

For us it’s important how well they go together, the names having similar lengths, and I guess similar images for all the names, which ties into how well they go together for me.

I selected:
Similar length
Flow
Similar image

At the moment it is all hypothetical for me so I do like to have sibsets that evoke a certain image/ style. For example in my signature I have ([name_f]IMO[/name_f]) a vintage sibset: [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Esme[/name_f], [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] & [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] I also have a romantic/spiritual sibset with [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] and [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m].
I also like to have a similar number of syllables which if not always possible with the first name I try to match the combination for example in my nature sibset [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] and [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] have a different number of syllables however [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] and [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] both have 6 syllables as does Oleander [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]. Although I didn’t select coming from the same era as I find that a little limiting I do try to have names of a similar age for example I wouldn’t put [name_u]Madison[/name_u] with [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].
Also I tend to like to have at least one sibset with honour names as middles and I wouldn’t give one child an honour middle and not another so I try to ensure all names in a sibset either have an honour middle or none have an honour middle

I can’t believe I forgot to list on the poll “all have good meanings” — I totally don’t look at meanings yet am reminded that many people do. I love [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] and doesn’t it mean something like sawn off hand…

I think that some of the other users have nailed it when they say they just have to “go together”.

For me, this is where popularity and trendy names come into the mix.

I wouldn’t name one child [name_u]Rylee[/name_u] and the other [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], they just don’t match. At least in my opinion (you do whatever you want, they’re your kids!!!). Same with a nickname name paired with a sibling who has a longer formal name.

Coming from a sibset where we all start with the same letter, I’m avoiding that at all costs. I would also prefer if the names all ended in different letters, though for girls names that’s often pretty difficult.

Syllables also matter, but not as much as everything else.

Overall, when you say them out loud or have to list your kids out you want it to sound nice and natural.

First and foremost they have to sound nice together. This usually means they’re the same style and around the same popularity, but not always. Personally, I actually don’t mind if the names all start with the same letter as long as the names sound different enough and I’m still love the names, but I do have an all or none policy because it would bother me if two children shared the same first initial but the others didn’t.

I picked same length, flows well and imagery. I think your description of feel and imagery with [name_f]Fuchsia[/name_f] and [name_f]Taffeta[/name_f] and [name_f]Vera[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] hit the nail right on the head with how I feel a sibset should flow. Length is very important to me too. I know a sibset named [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] and I think though they all have the same feel, [name_f]Emma[/name_f] sticks out just because of the length. I don’t think origin or popularity is that important unless they are drastically off, such as one sibling named [name_f]Evgenia[/name_f], and one sibling named [name_f]Mia[/name_f], but [name_f]Mia/name_f and [name_f]Aliana[/name_f] (753), I wouldn’t even blink an eye at.

This wasn’t an option in your poll, but I tend to also prefer a unifying letter or two. Like, if I were to name sisters [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], I’d probably go with the [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] spelling.

I pretty much agree with all of this ^^^

1. Different first initials.
  2. Different ending sounds if possible. (Although I won’t let this rule veto a beloved name.)
  3. Similar feeling or vibe from the names.