Which pronunciation of Adeline do you prefer?

See the results of this poll: Which pronunciation of Adeline do you prefer?

Respondents: 52 (This poll is closed)

• ADD-uh-line : 45 (87%)
  • ADD-uh-lynn: 7 (13%)

[name]Adeline[/name] has always been pronounced “[name]ADD[/name]-uh-line” like the song “Sweet [name]Adeline[/name]”. The only other pronunciation is the French one (leen). It should never be pronounced as “lyn”.

I pronouce it [name]Add[/name]-uh-line.

I like the French option of add-uh-LEEN

I don’t like the ‘line’-sound, so I prefer the -lynn or -leen ending. I was thinking the other day, why is [name]Adeline[/name]/[name]Caroline[/name] said with a -line ending, when you say [name]Josephine[/name] -pheen and [name]Geraldine[/name] -deen? You say the word line and fine in a similar way, but when it comes to names, it’s a different pronunciation. Perhaps someone can enlighten me?:slight_smile: Sorry for being OT.

Exactly. Pronounced with “line” at the end, I love it. Putting “lynn” at the end removes all the charm.

Another vote for “line”. I agree that pronouncing it “lynn” removes the charm and beauty of the name, but I’m not familiar with the song Sweet [name]Adeline[/name] … are you thinking of Sweet [name]Caroline[/name]?

Another vote for the “line” ending! I’m fine with add-eh-leen, too, but the “lynn” sound with the -line ending boggles my mind. Any grammar or name rules I can think of don’t allow for “line” to be pronounced “lynn”. I just don’t get it. It’s actually one of my biggest name pet peeves, but it could be because of the hidden grammatician in me. :slight_smile:

@catheyc: There are two songs: “Sweet [name]Adeline[/name]” is an old ballad usually sung by barbershop quartets. [name]Neil[/name] [name]Diamond[/name] had a song called “Sweet [name]Caroline[/name]”. [name]Both[/name] are pronounced with “line” at the end.

i have no problem with [name]Adelyn[/name] being pronounced with a -lynn sound. But if you’re spelling it [name]Adeline[/name], it’s -line, unless you’re in a French-speaking country.

I prefer the French pronounciation -leen. [name]Line[/name] sounds harsh to me, and - [name]Lynn[/name] doesn’t make since given the spelling. Good luck!

“line” ending for sure!

I like the line pronounciation the best. [name]Lynn[/name] makes it sound trendy and some people spell it [name]Addalyn[/name] or [name]Adalynn[/name] etc.

• line please!!

“line”, though I much prefer “leen.”

~[name]Jasmine[/name]