Which sounds better?

I have asked about people’s pronunciation ideas, now I’m wondering which sounds the best as everyone seems to pronounce the name “[name_f]Aurea[/name_f]” a little differently. I prefer the “ray-uh” ending to the “ee-uh” so I mostly want to know about the beginning sound.

Options:
aw-ray-uh like [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u], [name_m]Austin[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u]

uh-ray-uh like [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], [name_m]Augustus[/name_m]

or-ay-uh like aura

I lean toward the aw-ray-uh pronunciation, similar to how I pronounce [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think pronunciation would be too much of an issue? I wouldn’t mind correcting people as I think they would pick up on it? She would also probably go by [name_f]Rea[/name_f] as nn…

There is a Spanish version of [name_f]Aurea[/name_f] with an accent above the A which may have its own pronunciation, but I am interested in the Latin variation of [name_f]Aura[/name_f] and diminutive of [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] if that helps.

The only person I ever met with this name pronounced it aw-ree-uh, similar to [name_f]Aria[/name_f], but more of an Au sound at the beginning. I think if someone hears you say it correctly, they’ll eventually get it, but you might end up correcting people frequently. I think if she went by [name_f]Rea[/name_f] (which I assume would be pronounced like [name_f]Rhea[/name_f]), that would probably help a lot with the full pronunciation. I think the least likely pronunciation error would be the “or” sound at the beginning. I’ve only ever heard “aura” pronounced like “ah-ruh.”

@lavenderwitch thank you! A “real life” example is very helpful

If it’s the variation of [name_f]Aura[/name_f] and [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] you are after, in Latin itself, I imagine the pronunciation would be more like OW-reh-uh, as in the word gown. I read [name_f]Aurea[/name_f] as aw-RAY-uh (I say [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] as aw-REHL-yuh or aw-RAY-lee-uh), which in your list of pronunciations, would be closest perhaps to aw-ray-uh (though to me or-ay-uh does sound the same)… I’d say many English speakers (here at least) would pronounce Aurea as AW-ree-uh.

In my (Australian) accent, your different examples of [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] and aura, intended to sound different to each other, all have the same beginning sound, which I’d write as AW, sounding like ‘bought’; [name_m]Austin[/name_m], however, like my pronunciation of Australia, is more like [name_m]AH[/name_m], as in pot. In many English accents however, AW (bought) & [name_m]AH[/name_m] (pot) sound the same…

Ultimately, pronunciation can be a really tricky thing to pin down well in writing, so it’s really hard to get a true idea of just exactly what someone means when they write out how they say it.

I would say awe-ree-uh, but then I would pronounce a lot of your examples differently. [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] and [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] would be “awe”, [name_m]Austin[/name_m] would be “oh” like hot. [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] would be ‘awe’

Areya I think is the same name and has more clarity to the pronunciation.

My first instinct is to say “AR-ee-uh” like [name_f]Aria[/name_f]. I find “aw” followed by “ray” difficult to say, but I could easily get on board with “uh-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-uh.” I pronounce [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] like “uh-[name_f]REE[/name_f]-lee-uh” fyi.

Thank you for the opinions! I’m thinking of maybe pronouncing it “uh-ray-uh” now or even finding a less difficult name to spell and pronounce, hm…

“aw” like [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is how I would read it.

I would pronounce it Aw-ree-uh.