Which spelling for this pronunciation?

See the results of this poll: Which spelling would you use for Oh-tih-lee-ah

Respondents: 39 (This poll is closed)

• Ottilie : 5 (13%)
  • Ottilia : 21 (54%)
  • Otylia: 13 (33%)

I’d spell it [name]Ottilie[/name]. I think it is the most visually appealing.

I much prefer it to [name]Ophelia[/name] and [name]Aurelia[/name]. [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Octavia[/name] would be gorgeous.

EDIT: Okay, I’m completely guilty of skimming the text and answering the question at the bottom. Because of your Polish heritage I’m 100% for Otylia now. :slight_smile:

I voted for Ottilia before reading your post about your mother’s Polish heritage. I think [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Otylia[/name] looks the best because the “y” in [name]Otylia[/name] breaks the straight line. I love [name]Aurelia[/name] and [name]Octavia[/name] too but I think the Polish version would be a lovely way to honour your mother’s side of the family.

I’m torn between [name]Octavia[/name] and [name]Ottilia[/name] (actually I prefer [name]Ottilie[/name], but I used to pronounced it as Oh-tih-lee, without the ah ending. And I guess I’m not the only one.)
I think I like [name]Ottilia[/name] more. [name]Octavia[/name] sounds perfect with [name]Catherine[/name], and definitely safer. But I know so many [name]Octavia[/name]…
Your 4th option (any variants), on the other hand, sounds beautiful, super cute, whimsical, and rare.

I’m torn between [name]Octavia[/name] and [name]Ottilia[/name] (actually I prefer [name]Ottilie[/name], but I used to pronounced it as Oh-tih-lee, without the ah ending. And I guess I’m not the only one.)
I think I like [name]Ottilia[/name] more. [name]Octavia[/name] sounds perfect with [name]Catherine[/name], and definitely safer. But I know so many [name]Octavia[/name]…
Your 4th option (any variants), on the other hand, sounds beautiful, super cute, whimsical, and rare.

I think they’re all aesthetically pleasing, and I do like all of them, but I personally would go for [name]Otylia[/name]–I’m such a sucker for Polish names, and even better because it has significance to you! I would love to meet a [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Otylia[/name]!

I think you would have the least amount of confusion with [name]Otylia[/name].

[name]Otylia[/name]. I’d only pronounce [name]Ottilie[/name] with a -lee ending (ott-uh-lee), not -ah

Thanks, everyone!

The comments leaned toward [name]Otylia[/name], but the poll gave a definite victory to [name]Ottilia[/name], so I forced Hubby (who says we can tentatively put it on the list - yay!) to choose from between those two and he said [name]Ottilia[/name] was the most straightforward. So, [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Ottilia[/name] it is! Now just to convince him to turn that “tentatively” into a “definitely”…