Which spelling makes pronunciation obvious?

I met a little girl with a name I fell in love with. She was [name_m]French[/name_m] and her name was pronounced [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-li-zay. There are a few ways to spell it, but I feel like they might not be pronounced right in English?
[name_f]Aliz[/name_f]ée ([name_m]French[/name_m])
[name_f]Aliz[/name_f]é ([name_m]French[/name_m] shortened)
[name_f]Alizeh[/name_f] (Persian)
Alizae (Made up spelling)
I have [name_m]French[/name_m] ancestory, but do not speak it and live in an English speaking area, so I am hesitant to use a name with é in it. I also feel like those would pronounced with an leez or zee sound rather than ay.
I have no persian ties, and dont love the look of eh at the end.
I think the made up way is more obvious to pronounce, but dont like that it would lose the names meaning (‘wind’ or ‘trade wind’).
What are your thoughts? Which is best?

I would go with [name_f]Aliz[/name_f]ée. I think most people with know what to do and if they don’t you can just correct them (people make a way bigger deal out of this than it is - trust me, I’ve had to do it my whole life it’s honestly not a huge issue).

I think you should use original [name_m]French[/name_m] (and feminine, double e). Otherwise Alizae.

Either [name_f]Aliz[/name_f]èe or Alizae would work. I would think most people would know how to pronounce a name with an accented E (or at least be able to make an educated guess), but if all else fails, Alizae would work just as well. Such a pretty name!

I’d choose the original [name_f]Aliz[/name_f]ée. If it gets the desired pronunciation in more familiar names like Esmée, [name_u]Ren[/name_u]ée and Desirée, I see no reason to change it.

I think the original spelling looks best and it’s a beautiful name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] be aware that it’s also the name of a line of alcoholic drinks ([name_f]Alize[/name_f])

I think most people would know how to pronounce the name because of similar names ([name_f]Renee[/name_f], etc.) I do have to say that I automatically think of the alcohol. When I was a student teacher, about 6 years ago, there was an [name_f]Alize[/name_f] and a Hennessy in the same grade level, and I still remember those girls because of their alcohol themed names.

We had a little girl in one school named [name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_m]Martin[/name_m].

1 Like

Thanks for all of the responses! I dont drink so I had no clue there was a liquor association! I will have to think about that for a while. Is it a pretty popular brand? Like immediate association? Or only for people who have a high interest in alcoholic brands?

Alizae and [name_f]Alizeh[/name_f] would make pronunciation the most obvious as not everyone knows how to read [name_m]French[/name_m]. However, I would choose [name_f]Alizee[/name_f] or [name_f]Alize[/name_f] as it’s prettier.

Very popular in Hip-Hop culture.

I’ve never come across the “[name_f]Aliz[/name_f]é” brand of alcohol myself (I’m not sure if it is even available in the country where I live) but I do know of it since the late rapper [name_m]Tupac[/name_m] mentioned it in several of his songs. Personally, I don’t think it’s a big deal and I still like the name [name_f]Aliz[/name_f]ée (I don’t associate this spelling with alcohol, but with the [name_m]French[/name_m] singer).

For what it’s worth, I’m a Canadian and completely unfamiliar with the Alize liquor brand.

As for spelling, I like Alizée. As others have noted, there is enough familiarity with Desirée and Renée to make Alizée workable. It’s a very pretty name, by the way!

ETA regarding your apathy towards the ending of Alizeh, I would scratch that one off of your list. Canadian or no, the “eh” ending makes me want to pronounce it with a short e sound (like the word “pet”). If I didn’t know it was Persian I would think it was a unique spelling of Eliza.

Probably [name_f]Aliz[/name_f]ée??? It has the same ending as [name_f]Renee[/name_f], which I’m pretty most people know how to pronounce on sight.