Which spelling to use?

Dh and I are pretty use we’re going with the name [name]Camellia[/name]. I’m a little unsure if it’s better spelled [name]Camellia[/name] or [name]Camelia[/name]. Nameberry lists [name]Camellia[/name] as the standard spelling and [name]Camelia[/name] as a variation. Some other websites I’ve seen don’t even list [name]Camellia[/name] though and only have [name]Camelia[/name] listed. Which spelling do you think is better? I’m thinking [name]Camellia[/name] since that’s how the plant is spelled. thanks for the advice

I would definitely spell it [name]Camellia[/name]. It’s the ‘standard’ way, and since it is a word name, I would use the more correct and familiar spelling. [name]Camelia[/name] is the Romanian version…

[name]Camellia[/name] I would accentuate the l whereas [name]Camelia[/name] I wouldn’t.

I think I prefer [name]Camelia[/name]. I usually prefer the “standard” spellings, but I do like [name]Camelia[/name] better. What a pretty name!

Good evening!

I think I would go with [name]Camellia[/name], the standard flower spelling, for your daughter’s name. As a side note, [name]Camelia[/name] makes me think of camels, which probably isn’t the response you are going for :wink:

I’d love to know what your daughter might look like! I’ve got an image of [name]Camellia[/name] in my mind, and I’d like to compare it to her appearance - or what you suspect she’ll be. Also, will you shorten her name? I personally prefer [name]Lia[/name] to [name]Cami[/name]…

What are you thinking regarding middle names? I think something simple yet feminine like [name]Camellia[/name] [name]Jane[/name] would be pretty!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Definitely [name]Camellia[/name], since that’s the way the plant is spelled. Beautiful name!

I think it also depends on how you want it pronounced. I would say [name]Camellia[/name] “Kah-mell-lee-yah” and [name]Camelia[/name] “Kah-MEE-lee-yah.” That might make a difference in your decision.

We really have no idea what she’ll look like. I have brown hair and eyes (but have a recessive gene for blonde hair and blue eyes) and my husband is blond with green eyes. We’re pretty sure she’ll be short though lol. [name]How[/name] do you picture the name?

We like both [name]Cammy[/name] and [name]Lia[/name]. I think [name]Cammy[/name] is very cute for a baby and toddler but doesn’t age well while [name]Lia[/name] doesn’t have the same cuteness factor I think it is far more elegant and works better for an older girl or an adult. We’ve also talked about using [name]Camille[/name] as a nickname. We may end up calling her [name]Cammy[/name] as a baby and then switching to [name]Lia[/name] or [name]Camille[/name] as she gets older.

As far as pronunciation we more or less say it Kuh-meel-yuh. It sounds like how they’re saying it here: Camellias Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

[name]Hi[/name], again!

[name]How[/name] do I picture [name]Camellia[/name]? Well, I see a little girl with pale skin and sun-stroked strawberry blond hair. Her hair is in light curls and she has a sweet green ribbon tied 'round her head like a headband. Her eyes are big and beautiful, of a fairer color, like blue or green. She is adventurous and curious, feisty and sassy, independent and confident. Definitely a little girl’s girl, she is delicate and sweet, loving and kind…

Personally, I say [name]Camellia[/name] something along the lines of [name]Amelia[/name] with a C attached. The reason I don’t care for [name]Cami[/name] as a nickname is because it 1) sounds dated, and 2) puts a completely different child in my mind - I can’t imagine a [name]Cami[/name] and a [name]Camellia[/name] being the same person. [name]Lia[/name], on the other hand, has the same sweet sassiness and sophistication that [name]Camellia[/name] has.

What will her middle name be? Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I really enjoyed hearing your description. Thanks. That’s definitely a possibility as far as looks go.

We haven’t decided yet on a middle name. We still have a few months to figure it out though. I agree that something simple makes the most sense but the onlly names that my husband and I are agreeing on seem to be long and a bit too much to go with [name]Camellia[/name].

I’m pretty sure after seeing it written out both ways that we’ll be going with [name]Camellia[/name]. It’s the most logical spelling since that’s how the flower is usually spelled and I think it’s the nicest looking as well.
Thanks again everyone :slight_smile:

Good call! :slight_smile: It’s a beautiful name!