Which varient of Mary & give a description of what you imagine each to be:)

[name]Hi[/name] All,

Please give your honest opinions on the following- I want to name our first dd after my mom [name]Mary[/name]-middle name to be [name]Catherine[/name].Options are-

• [name]Mary[/name] [name]Georgia[/name](I do not want to use [name]Catherine[/name] here as I don’t want her to be known as [name]Mary[/name]-[name]Kate[/name]…, [name]Georgia[/name] is after my aunt)

• [name]Mariella[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]( nickname [name]Milly[/name] or [name]Maisy[/name]???)

• [name]Molly[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]

I do love [name]Mary[/name] in itself but I do not know if I would have the courage to use it as its still considered quite boring or is it?

Please comment on my shortlist & give a little description of what you would imagine each little girl to be like!!!

Thanks in advance - princessvino x

My favorite would be [name]Mary[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] - I picture a pretty, studious girl. [name]Molly[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] is nice too, and with her I think of a more outgoing, bubbly type. [name]Mariella[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] would probably be my least favorite, but it’s not bad at all - I think creative and artistic. :slight_smile:

Other [name]Mary[/name] variations you might consider: [name]Maria[/name], [name]Marian[/name], [name]Marietta[/name], [name]Miriam[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thanks a million for the reply. I think [name]Mary[/name] would be quite demure & elegant too. [name]Love[/name] [name]Molly[/name] but I think there is too many around-its out of control!!! Plus [name]Holly[/name], [name]Polly[/name] are also very popular as is the boys name olly so I think I would prefer a different sounding name even though I do love it so much!

Any other opinions & character descriptions would be very much appreciated!!!

P.S for any one in the U.S how is [name]Mary[/name] percieved now?

[name]Mary[/name] is still a bit boring- answer here in South USA is double name form, (where it’s spiced up daily in all sorts of ways- [name]Mary[/name] [name]Wesley[/name], [name]Mary[/name] [name]Steven[/name], [name]Mary[/name] [name]Bennett[/name], [name]Mary[/name] [name]Kinsley[/name], etc. ). I think it’s fab that you want to name her after your mom, though. A variation does the trick… [name]Mariella[/name] is pretty but kind of long and sing-songy in the combo…You don’t like [name]Mariella[/name] [name]Kate[/name]? [name]Molly[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] has perfect flow but is in and of itself as ho-hum as the fn [name]Mary[/name] [name]IMO[/name].

[name]Mary[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] has superb flow but I’d have to call her by the whole name.

What about [name]Mariana[/name], [name]Mariska[/name], or [name]Mara[/name]? Good luck!

[name]Mary[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] - I picture a very demure, basic type of girl. She’s not into make up, dressing up, or fanciful things at all. She’d rather read a book, than socialize with others. Definitely a bit of an introvert, but she’s not shy. She’s just of the quiet type. She values silence. She’s got light freckles on her face, mousy brown hair that’s always kept at above shoulder length cut. Deep brown eyes.

[name]Mariella[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] - She’s a bit spunky, definitely more on the glamourous side. She’s into glamour, but in a grown up mature kind of way. She’d rather go out shopping with her mother, than sit and play with dolls. She’s always got her clothes ready the night before, and is very quick to do the job, whatever it may be. She likes to be around people, but isn’t a chatty [name]Kathy[/name]. She’s mature, and likes to play the big sister/mom role. Definitely responsible most times. She’s got answers/remedies for everything, and if she doesn’t is the first to offer to find one.

[name]Molly[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] - She’s more immature than [name]Mariella[/name] and [name]Mary[/name]. She’d be the one to sit and play with dolls for hours, instead of reading or going out with mom. She’s got reddish hair, not bright red, but visably red. She has more freckles than [name]Mary[/name], but not much more. She’s a talker, and very extroverted. She’s always with someone. Quite confident, and active. She’s the kind to run around a field, but she hates getting dirty so she complains a lot about that but keeps doing things that get her dirty. She’s a bit headstrong, so she doesn’t take time to notice when she’s doing things that cause her complaints.

I do think the name [name]Mary[/name] is very boring, but if you love it the most, than use it!
Perhaps another variant like [name]Mara[/name] would be a better fit for you?

[name]Love[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Georgia[/name]. It has a lot more sophisticated than [name]Mariella[/name]. It’s just beautiful.

[name]Mary[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] is gorgeous! I think [name]Mary[/name] is a lovely name (but I’m also a bit biased because I have quite a fond spot for [name]Mary[/name] Crawley on Downton [name]Abbey[/name]!) and is beautiful all by herself without needing a double name.

• [name]Mary[/name] [name]Georgia[/name](I do not want to use [name]Catherine[/name] here as I don’t want her to be known as [name]Mary[/name]-[name]Kate[/name]…, [name]Georgia[/name] is after my aunt)

• [name]Mariella[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]( nickname [name]Milly[/name] or [name]Maisy[/name]???)

• [name]Molly[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]

I absolutely love [name]Mary[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] and do not see her being called [name]Mary[/name]-[name]Kate[/name] unless you introduce her as [name]Mary[/name]-[name]Kate[/name]. Most people don’t know the middle name. [name]Molly[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] is also very sweet. I don’t like [name]Mariella[/name] at all myself. [name]Mary[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] as a combo is okay. I vote [name]Molly[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]. I don’t think [name]Mary[/name] is a “boring” name at all. It is a very sweet, elegant classic.

Edited to add I’m in the western U.S.

I don’t find [name]Mary[/name] boring and it’s on my list of girls names. It a straight-forward name but that doesn’t mean dull. Names don’t have to be frilly to be interesting. My favorite would be [name]Mary[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] and I don’t think [name]Mary[/name] [name]Kate[/name] would be used unless she wanted to use it. [name]Molly[/name] is sweet but I don’t think it’s nearly as classic.

I don’t think [name]Mary[/name] is boring. It’s very, very under-used these days. I only know three girls named [name]Mary[/name], one being my 97-year-old great aunt, one being my friend’s 55-ish year-old mother, and the third being a childhood friend from grade school.

[name]Mary[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] is absolutely fantastic! I love that one. If you fear that [name]Mary[/name] is too boring, [name]Marie[/name] is a lovely alternative. [name]Marie[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] is beautiful (but not as beautiful as [name]Mary[/name] [name]Georgia[/name]).

Second choice is [name]Molly[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], but as with [name]Mary[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], I think you might run the risk of people trying to call her [name]Molly[/name] [name]Kate[/name] instead of just [name]Molly[/name]. However, that’s easily overcome by simply telling people you call her [name]Molly[/name], not [name]Molly[/name] [name]Kate[/name]. (And if she’s called [name]Molly[/name] [name]Kate[/name] among family or just by the grandparents or whatever, that’s fine, [name]IMO[/name]. [name]Every[/name] family has various nicknames for the children. I have six different names among just my family, none of which are my given name or middle name.)

[name]Mary[/name] isn’t at all boring! It’s a lovely, musical-sounding classic that would actually stand out (in a good way) where I live - I don’t know a single one. Some would consider it a vintage pick. As for [name]Mary[/name] [name]Georgia[/name], I find [name]Georgia[/name] gives [name]Mary[/name] a little unexpected twist (they fit together well but you don’t expect them to be paired) and helps to lighten it, giving it a more playful feel.

I love this choice.

• [name]Mary[/name] [name]Georgia[/name]- This is gorgeous…I really like both [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name] and I think [name]Georgia[/name] adds a little sass to the name [name]Mary[/name]! I like [name]Georgiana[/name] & [name]Georgina[/name] and they sound great with [name]Mary[/name] as well…but [name]Georgia[/name] is adorable! I think sassy & cute on a little girl, but very neutral on an adult…as in, I could imagine a doctor called [name]Mary[/name] or a folk singer. To me that’s a good quality in a name!

• [name]Mariella[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]- This name is a little more princessy than the one above. It’s nice, not as much my style. I would pair [name]Mariella[/name] with something more on the short & sweet side, like [name]Mariella[/name] [name]Kay[/name] or [name]Mariella[/name] [name]Cate[/name]. I also like [name]Marietta[/name] (but not with [name]Georgia[/name] as a mn lol) I think nn [name]Etta[/name] is super cute. Using this variants of [name]Mary[/name] is a good idea if you find [name]Mary[/name] to be boring, which I don’t, but some do! Also the nns [name]Milly[/name] and [name]Maisie[/name] are both cute but both have such different attitudes and I think I would choose between them when I met [name]Mariella[/name].

• [name]Molly[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]- This, to me, is too cutesy compared to the other two choices. I like [name]Molly[/name], but I think it’s better as a nickname for [name]Mary[/name] or [name]Mariella[/name]. The pairing is nice, so if you like it go for it, but I just find [name]Mary[/name] so much more surprising and sweet and legit…I mean, people name their dogs [name]Molly[/name], but no one really names their pets [name]Mary[/name].

My pick is [name]Mary[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] for sure. I think it’s a really perfect name! Also, I am from [name]Brooklyn[/name], NY.

My name is [name]Molly[/name] [name]Kathryn[/name]…first and middle…it is not a double barrel thing…what is wrong with just [name]Mary[/name]?

And it really sucks that people name their dogs [name]Molly[/name]…thanks for bringing it up

I have a 6 yo named [name]Mary[/name]-[name]Elizabeth[/name] so I obviously do not find it boring at all. She is sweet and smart and full of energy :slight_smile: [name]Mary[/name] is a family name, and I have always loved it. It isn’t heard much anymore on little girls, and I always get tons of compliments on my daughters name :slight_smile:
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] is beautiful!!

My niece is [name]Mary[/name] [name]Katherine[/name], nn [name]Molly[/name] – super cute!

Thanks so much for all the replies still so undecided!
Any more opinions would be greatly appreciated x

[name]Just[/name] bumping this up to get some more opinions from you nameberries:) x