Which way round?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone

I have spoken to my mother. She would prefer me to keep the name she gave me at birth instead of honouring her with a variation of her own name. My birth name is [name_f]Laura[/name_f]. I was never given a middle name. I want to add [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] to my name but I am not sure how to go about it.

I could either be [name_f]Laura[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and go by my middle name on a daily basis or go be [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Laura[/name_f].

Another idea I have had is hyphenate the names together. In this case I think Laura-Lucy works better. If I hyphenate the names together then my family can call me Laura like the want to do and friends can call me Lucy. Thoughts?

What would you do in my situation?

Thanks in advance.

[name_f]Laura[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] flows better, but if you want to go by [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] most of the time, I say go with [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Laura[/name_f].

I think both combos have an equal level of flow and, since you’ll be going by [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], I reckon [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Laura[/name_f] would be easier, with the family members who choose continuing to call you be [name_f]Laura[/name_f] should they wish.

If it were me, I don’t know what I’d do; I actually don’t mind my name ([name_f]Amelia[/name_f], nn [name_f]Millie[/name_f]). Since I already have two middle names, both of which I’d prefer to keep, it’s a hard decision. I’d either add my chosen name (say, [name_f]Mary[/name_f]) as another middle and keep [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] for the sake of easiness, simply introducing myself by [name_f]Mary[/name_f], or I’d bump [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] to the middle spot and have [name_f]Mary[/name_f] as a first. If I disliked [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], I’d get rid of it all together, most likely.

I’d go with [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Laura[/name_f] - make the name you’ll go by to the outside world your first (to simplify things) and keep the name your mom gave you as your middle.

Thanks to all who have replied. I still am unsure which way round to go. Any more advice?

[name_f]Laura[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. [name_f]Laura[/name_f] is an amazing name. You should keep it.